The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope 3rd"

Glad I can see the pics again. You attention to detail is astounding as well as you honesty when you f..oul up. It is a pleasure to read your updates and we all learn

from it. But few can match, let alone surpass it. But we can dream can't we?
Cees

• Like 5

I'm a little late to this party ( as usual) but I am lurking along, as I did with the Spitfire...................... my eyes hurt, this is so fabulously great....... I ran out of superlatives on the Spitfire build, I will quietly lurk in the shadows here and feast my eyes and like Cees says, my dreams of wishing I had some sort of modeling talent, this is just incredible stuff...... as always, looking for MORE ..................... from across the pond

Jeff

• Like 5

Peter

Geez .. Welcome aboard ... every day more and more of the old gang is here! Looks like we'll be able to carry on on many years tradition of wishing each other the very best on our birthday.

Absolutely amazed at your brilliance and abilities - but nothing new there. The front office is beyond reality.

Keep 'em comin

Peter ;)

• Like 4

On 10/14/2018 at 11:30 PM, Peterpools said:

Peter

Geez .. Welcome aboard ... every day more and more of the old gang is here! Looks like we'll be able to carry on on many years tradition of wishing each other the very best on our birthday.

Absolutely amazed at your brilliance and abilities - but nothing new there. The front office is beyond reality.

Keep 'em comin

Peter ;)

Hi Peter, how nice to see you here :) not long to go until those Bithday wishes!

On 10/12/2018 at 7:19 PM, JeroenPeters said:

I just can't believe it!!! Insane..

Love the seat. Love the radio. Love it all! Will you bring this to Telford??

Hi Jeroen - thanks, but no it won't be at Telford - there is not really much to see - I will wait until nect year by which time it will be in the airframe and it really will be a WIP :)  looking forward to seeing you there

so next up was the trim pedestal seen here - this is in Lopes Hope, but has some of the access panels removed - luckily I have drawings of these...

WIP378_zpsygj8pf3l.jpg

..first thing to do was take what info I could from the drawings and make templates to scale...

WIP377_zpsgknvclcj.jpg

this was then transposed to a sheet of thick plastic card...

WIP379_zpscfadddhp.jpg

..and working up the base shapes and the access panels..

WIP380_zpssol6j13u.jpg

..I had the trim wheels 3D printed by shapeways and the tape template is trying to work out the top panel as the plan does not allow for the curvature...

WIP381_zps4fbcqdca.jpg

..the tape template then was used to create the top panel...

WIP382_zpsoxultsdf.jpg

..and the sub assembly starts to take shape - some of the placards needed backing panels adding..

WIP383_zpsthzi5rpj.jpg

WIP384_zpsrwpwha35.jpg

..priming and painting the 3D parts..

WIP385_zpsm1uf8itu.jpg

..these then had the bespoke decals added..

WIP386_zps0xgv4mwy.jpg

..and after painting the unit all the levers were fabricated and the other decals added..

..it will need weathering later and a big lever at the bottom needs adding..

WIP387_zpsal9qugqd.jpg

WIP388_zpshfdiio22.jpg

WIP390_zpsfscrhb3k.jpg

WIP389_zpsilzqkfku.jpg

..and how it will fit in the fuselage side panel..

WIP391_zps7vyhm2xg.jpg

enjoyed that, will have to see what is up next..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, mikester said:

I have to look twice to tell whether it's the real part from an aircraft or one of your parts...bloody fantastic! :respect:

I was going to post the exact same thing, I always have to look a couple times s well...................talk about eye candy...............

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, evening all :)

Its been a while, so now Telford is out of the way I start to get my mojo back. It was great to meet up with everyone and I still can't believe we sold out of our show stock for the new HK Lancaster cockpit set :)

..next up for Lopes Hope is the sidewall completion so I can prime & paint the main structures before fetailing them..

seen here left to right - the low shelf down by the side of the seat holds the signal flares, the star shaped thing sticking into the fuselage ay the mid point is the mounting plate for the signal pistol (I think the pilot shot through it, but don't recall seeing big holes on the outside of the airframe?), and on the far lower right is a sort of triangular curved lever housing which is the bomb control selector... (with a red handle top..)

..these were the next bits up onto the bench..

WIP392_zpsct76tguq.jpg

..the low shelf was created from plan drawings put together in different colours so I knew where the folds were - these were then stuck to litho to be cut out..

WIP393_zpstebe54bw.jpg

..folded, finished & with the metal parts of the holder added..

WIP394_zpsoa2dzfbz.jpg

..same process for the flare gun holder - the part was drawn & scaled - some dents were made around the inner hole with a screwdriver and the part cut out..

WIP395_zpsb2eyvtbw.jpg

..I forgot to take pics of the finished part, but you can see it mounted here on the sidewall along with the shelf..

WIP396_zpsl4yso2vs.jpg

..and test fitted with the completed pedestal...

WIP397_zpsvyja1grg.jpg

..the bomb selector lever housing was made by using a PE template to make a plug I can vacform over..

WIP398_zpsyrbh0nve.jpg

..lots of plastic to get one little part...

WIP399_zpswrtk4b59.jpg

..trimmed & with details added this will be primed & painted before adding metal internals and the lever itself..

WIP400_zpscztzpize.jpg

..I also made the panel the housing sits on - this side is nearly ready for painting..

WIP402_zps3zazxn2r.jpg

WIP401_zpsnung7jkk.jpg

..good to be back at it :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

thanks folks & good evening :)

,,a bit more done over the weekend..

..this is the sidewall of lopes Hope - as you can see there is lots going on, so pert of the process is deconstructing what you see into small assemblies..

WIP404_zpsuoyuljxg.jpg

I had most of the structural work done, so time to prime with etch primer..

..one side..

WIP403_zpsisjhluhx.jpg

..and the other - this is the side you see above in the real one..

WIP405_zpshjxz5nga.jpg

..after painting green, I started to add some of the fittings and decals including the pedestal...

WIP408_zpsypcdoquq.jpg

..and on the other side, some of the switchgear..

WIP407_zpse16fxjk4.jpg

..a couple of small control units were needed so I made these and prepared a number of watch parts for the fittings...

WIP409_zpscw1af8um.jpg

..making these convinced me I needed a 3D printer from santa this year as I could have just knocked them up...

WIP410_zpsf0vqek69.jpg

..I also made and added these inner parts to the main longeron at the cockpit sill - the brass 'H' section I used was 0.5mm too small and that was enough to mean all the decals along the side didn't fit - so I took the drawings and scaled these I could just laminate to them..

WIP406_zpsdebjtpyh.jpg

..that meant I could really start to add in all the decals and placards...

WIP411_zpsn5sykhvv.jpg

WIP412_zpsoc8z6x8x.jpg

WIP413_zps1zdwapqa.jpg

..and a check to make sure all the subassemblies go together to make the cockpit pod..

WIP415_zpswtbzcxr7.jpg

WIP414_zpsotyi11sb.jpg

..should be moving onto the floor, rudder pedals and control stick next...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 6