The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Cybermodeler Gruppe Fehrmann Tiger 1

Not sure what I'm thinking but it seems I'm pulling out more stalled builds than ever and getting back to them these days. So here's another to add to my overflowing bench. 

IMG_20180929_222718-L.jpg

While I was looking for track sets for my Firefly VC, I found a set of Karaya zinc tracks for a late Tiger. After some goofing around, I had one run assembled and started on the second. 

IMG_20180929_205024-L.jpg

And here's the Tiger in its current state:

IMG_20180929_222640-L.jpg

There's a nice coat of dust to clean off and then I can get started on it again.

Carl

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Sweet memories. You know you nailed it when you end up with a piece of Friul or Karaya steel wire sticking right between fingertip and nail...

Keep that Tiger coming!

Isn't that the truth! I did that on the Group tracks for my Firefly. Had the wire nicely imbedded in my finger. Decided to change my approach after that.

• Like 3

A bit more progress on the Tiger. I got the zimmerit applied to the other side and the rear hull.

IMG_20181003_220540-L.jpg

IMG_20181003_220549-L.jpg

Them while working on the turret, I noticed a couple missing bits. Then a few more showed up as MIA. Searching online, I found I could get the sprues but they were going to cost me $30 each. Which was half the price of the kit.  That's probably why I stopped working on it.  I nearly did again but decided to try scratch building the bits. Here's the first I made. It's the spring and arm for the commander's hatch.

IMG_20181005_095118-L.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Nice recovery 

Thanks! 

3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

That’s probably better than the kit parts........

There's a bit of detail missing from the arm but for me, it's worlds better than not having anything there. 

• Like 1

After getting the bright idea to check through a couple other Dragon Tiger kits in the stash I was able to find suitable replacements for most of the missing bits. There's a couple really small ones I can live with not being there. She won't be a contest winner but she will be done and off the SoD so I'd call that a win. 

IMG_20181005_095131-L.jpg

Looking a couple of photos I found as well as some AM decal instructions, I started to heavily chip the Zimmerit.

IMG_20181005_095150-L.jpg

IMG_20181005_095213-L.jpg

Then I started a very random camo paint job. I also painted in the areas where the Zimmerit had chipped away in Panzer grey. 

IMG_20181005_232417-L.jpg

IMG_20181005_232429-L.jpg

IMG_20181005_232440-L.jpg

IMG_20181005_232448-L.jpg

It's Canadian Thanksgiving and we've got family over today for turkey so I doubt I'll be at the bench. Hopefully I'll be able to get some more done tomorrow or Monday.

Carl

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Very nice work 

9 hours ago, GusMac said:

Looking great. Really like the 'chipped Zimmerit' effect.

Thanks gents. The Zimmerit is working out better than I had hoped. Especially the chipped bits. 

• Like 1

The family dinner went really well. The turkey was nicely done as was all the side dishes my wife made. Everyone had a good time. I managed to get to the bench after everyone left so finished up the turret.

IMG_20181007_012230-L.jpg

IMG_20181007_012252-L.jpg

I've thrown the tracks on as well to see how they look. 

Almost time to start working on the smaller bits now.

Carl

• Like 3

With our Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday I had time today to get some work done on the Tiger. It was mostly getting small bits on. I started with the spare tracks and the various cables.

IMG_20181008_183802-L.jpg

IMG_20181008_183822-L.jpg

The ones for the turret were particularly fiddly as they didn't have any specific location points provided. 

All that's left now are the OVM tools and the turret markings. 

Carl

• Like 1

Carl

Totally nlown away at your incredible modeling pallet! So glad the Tiger is back on the bench and looks fantastic. For years I tossed around the idea of breaking up my aircraft modeling with an alternate subject. I’ve aleays avoided armor as my knowledge is close to zippo  or even less.  Seeing your armor work, just might give it a try over the winter. 

Keep ‘em comin

Peter;)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Carl

Totally nlown away at your incredible modeling pallet! So glad the Tiger is back on the bench and looks fantastic. For years I tossed around the idea of breaking up my aircraft modeling with an alternate subject. I’ve aleays avoided armor as my knowledge is close to zippo  or even less.  Seeing your armor work, just might give it a try over the winter. 

Keep ‘em comin

Peter;)

Thanks Peter! It's nice being able to switch it up subject wise from time to time.

If you want to try an armour kit, any of the new Tamiya kits are great. Or build one of the Asuka Shermans. They're fantastic kits and go together so nicely. 

Carl

• Like 2