The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

New large scale project.

Clunkmeister

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Cool, so much information and details I'm  learning about these cars.

Carl

Yup. In 58, Ford made the Thunderbird a 4 seater. A bit bigger to accommodate the rear seat, and also some serious (for the day) power in the form of a 300hp 352cid V8.  The two seater guys disdain them for not being "pure" to the original concept,  but they sold huge and pretty much started the whole "personal luxury" concept.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Yup. In 58, Ford made the Thunderbird a 4 seater. A bit bigger to accommodate the rear seat, and also some serious (for the day) power in the form of a 300hp 352cid V8.  The two seater guys disdain them for not being "pure" to the original concept,  but they sold huge and pretty much started the whole "personal luxury" concept.

Certainly nicer than Ford's last try at a T-bird.

• Like 3

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Certainly nicer than Ford's last try at a T-bird.

They got that one so wrong.

Thunderbird has a long hood, short trunk...classic. Gives the illusion of speed, muscle, and power.

Somehow, Ford got that backwards on the last try. Totally ruined the car.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

They got that one so wrong.

Thunderbird has a long hood, short trunk...classic. Gives the illusion of speed, muscle, and power.

Somehow, Ford got that backwards on the last try. Totally ruined the car.

Completely agree with you there. Classic rear wheel drive cars need a long hood and short deck to look right. 

I just realized that my convertible could probably fit in the trunk of yours. :D

IMG_20150611_173416-L.jpg

Edited by BlrwestSiR
Typo
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Like Elvira's ? :)

3.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Jeff in 59 they didn't stamp the vin on the engine block, so it's just "date matching". So as long as the engine is built earlier than the car, it's all good.

Yeah, date code is perfect...... very cool, as long as it is period correct, eh?? looking forward to the WIP for this project...

• Like 3

Nice wheels. As Ade says you couldn't park it anywhere over here and it certainly wouldn't be to suited to our Scottish climate except on about 3 days a year! Does look very cool.  Amazingly well preserved as well. Again, wouldn't happen in our climate where everything just rots or goes mouldy.

• Like 3

• Administrators

I get you engine on the weekend.

It’s a Ford-Edsel (FE) big block Ford, 352 cubes. Identical block as the 361, 390, 406, and 427 Ford big blocks. 

There was also an option for an even bigger engine, a Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln (MEL) big block 430 cubes, which is a totally different engine.   That was a real stump puller and turned the nimble Thunderbird into a dog. Like driving around with a ship’s anchor roped on the front bumper. Big power in a straight line, but it turned and handled like the Queen Mary. 

The 352 powered T-bird is a real riot to drive. Stiff shocks and a rear sway bar turn it into a neat little car.  It’s really not that big... 112” wheelbase.

• Like 2

This was a great body style, probably one of my most favorite T-birds, they had some real class and futuristic styling cues, and when one saw it on the road, you knew exactly what it was/is, not like today's "cookie cutter" cars, no styling, no panache, no colors, and NO STEEL...... '50's and '60's rides are were it's at, and the one thing that just GAGS me, is when I see a classic ride like this and the owner puts 26 inch rims and rubber bands for tires.............................. NOT in my garage !  Keep her looking like the Henry built her is what I say......  love it Ernie.... just love it...

• Like 3

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Jeff said:

This was a great body style, probably one of my most favorite T-birds, they had some real class and futuristic styling cues, and when one saw it on the road, you knew exactly what it was/is, not like today's "cookie cutter" cars, no styling, no panache, no colors, and NO STEEL...... '50's and '60's rides are were it's at, and the one thing that just GAGS me, is when I see a classic ride like this and the owner puts 26 inch rims and rubber bands for tires.............................. NOT in my garage !  Keep her looking like the Henry built her is what I say......  love it Ernie.... just love it...

“Rubber band tires” you sound just like me! :rofl:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...