The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Ernie...
Just in case... The "Wolf" is a G-Wagen. LOL

I hated the "Iltis"...
I'm damn sure they laughed their a**es off at VW/Audi when they sold the manufacturing tools to Bombardier. Back then, a baseline "Wolf" (Mercedes G-Wagen) came with an 80.000 "Deutschmark" price tag. An Audi-manufactured Bundeswehr "Itlis" cost about 25.000 DEM. 
Now, you do the math...

Yup, I saw that after I looked closer. :)

But German jeeps give me the shivers, all because of that piece of crap Iltis.  Typical Canadian Army Generals vetted by a hippie led Government that refused to spend money on it's Military.  We were offered the G-Wagen as well as the Humvee back then, but they much preferred a cheap throw away piece of junk. They  would had been better off leaving us with our hodgepodge of worn out Jeeps. An M2 BMG would shake the Iltis to pieces, they rusted almost immediately, and they'd just up and quit running for no reason whatsoever, no warning, nothing, just poof, you're walking, and lugging all your stuff plus your mounted MG and all it's ammo.  

And in the end, after the Iltis fiasco, guess what? They went and finally bought G-Wagens like everyone else in the modern world.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

And to make things even worse, if you forgot about the Iltis' limitations, that car would kill you.
I can recall a good handful of really nasty (and fatal) accidents in 1988 alone... 

Yup. It was the single worst piece of kit the CF bought in my entire time in Service. Slow, unreliable, unstable, top heavy, and don't forget how it was prone to starting grass fires if left sitting with the engine running for a minute or more. Like when, for example, you were acting as a repeater station and you needed to charge the batteries.  Plenty of German fields went up in smoke due to that pile of crap.  It's the ONLY Army car I've ever known that literally fell apart from the recoil of Ma Deuce.

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Or how about one of the most underrated 4x4 vehicles ever?
No, not Dagmar Patrasová... 

The LADA Niva:
wzh9QRP.jpg

Yes yes yes yes!!  I’ve been looking for a decent one for years. An old girlfriend had a Lada Fiat style Sedan that thing was the only car that would start when it was -40 outside. And the heater would melt your skin off at -40.

• Like 3

That's the plan for next few days, finish the fluid change that I started in the summer. Diff. and tranny are done, oil is next, then brake fluid. Why? just because I can :).

Then shifter, braided clutch line and somewhere along the jacking rails and wiglets in front of the rear wheels ( maybe- depends on the rice effect )

I am lucky, since I do not have any issues with this car, non at all..... besides hail . 

• Like 3

Yay!!!  She's home.  If you like we can make her look well-travelled with a sticker I've been seeing a lot of, lately:

You can either get stickers or decals, in black or white:

cu-in-the-nt-car-decal-stickers-top-sell

See you in the Northern Territory!

Gaz

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Condensation in the crankcase. I kind a help it by  prolonged stay outside when the rain got into the intake. Gonna have it analyzed , just in case .

I had the same kind of worried surprise the first time I opened the oil filling cap of my Porsche (3.6 l flat 6). It was full of what literally looked like mayonnaise :omg:.

I called the guy who was maintaining it immediately. Perfectly normal. The water from ingested air in the combustion process mixes with hot oil fumes in the pistons (there are always some traces of them). It then condenses in the highest point of the oil circuit when the engine cools down, the filling pipe in the case of the flat 6. Beside, he told me he had never seen these engines have cam-head seal problem ... You generally don’t see it in other engines because this will dribble down in the crankcase, to be evaporated at the next engine run.

Hubert

• Like 3