The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

On 8/13/2020 at 7:42 AM, BlrwestSiR said:

I wouldn't say no to this if it showed up in my driveway. 

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.c50d0ef73ad10b1ad7d62f93912530e8.jpg

The last of the V8s.:D

As much as I like it (okay, love it), for some reason I've always liked his first car in the movie just that bit more. 

70d18ab2eeef7ef89f9878d0634a9f29.jpg.22ddbc82f0a84c1e8ae5db10a9a97607.jpg

Maybe because it reminds me a bit of my Dad's Cortina. 

Ok ... first ...

The interceptor ... was BASED on the XB Coupe Hardtop below:

fy4lNiB.png

There was a huge amount of modification made to the external shape of the vehicle ... the idea being that in was supposed to represent a future design and the "last" of the V8's ... Which of course it wasn't ... the XC Falcon (easily distinguishable by its rectangular headlights) was produced in the same basic body shape before the all new XD started the next generation. The standard police interceptor was just based on the four door Falcon sedan below ...

ZPTtbDM.jpg

The point is ... none of those cars were real ... they were altered a fair way to try to represent something from "not too far in the future". 

And while I have no objections whatsoever to modified vehicles and "street machines" ... and the interceptor IS a thing of beauty (if only that clutch blower was real!!!) ... the interceptor is about as far from an XB Falcon as my 71 Valiant Charger was ...

On 8/13/2020 at 8:45 AM, Clunkmeister said:

A friend of mine has a G8 GXP that he bought new in the final year of Pontiac existence. That thing is just a rebadged Holden Commodore with left hand drive, huge tires and wheels, and a 6.2L monster V8.

That thing is an absolute pavement shredder, and suitably impressed me on a test drive to the point where I almost loaded my britches. 

Lol ... I had to look up the GXP ... from 2009 right?? ... This is the VE Commodore I was referring to (2nd last Commodore version) ... the 6.2 made it's way over into the very last iteration of the very last model here (the VF series II) ... and thats my "Holy Grail" car ... a manual SS-V Redline VF Series II ... Theres a fair amount of torque being applied to the pavement when the loud pedal is pressed - I have no doubt you get a little of the sideways action :D

I'm tempted to dyno' my ute before and after when I do the exhaust and intake upgrades next year ... the gains are substantial I hear 

Rog :)

• Like 5

• Administrators

Yes it was a 2009.  He bruised the backs of my eyeballs with that car from the multiple times my eyes smashed into my skull when he punched the loud pedal.

I don’t recall a modern car that does such a brilliant job in transferring dead dinosaurs into fury and motion as that one did.   I’m still shaking my head. Pure brilliance from Down Under.

• Like 5

Thanks for the primer on Aussie muscle cars Rog.

Being in Canada, we get indoctrinated into American muscle cars by default. 

Thankfully our slightly more relaxed import rules are changing that but the big market there is JDM stuff. GT-Rs, RX-7s, Delicas and Supras are the big draw models. European stuff occasionally shows up here too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Thanks for the primer on Aussie muscle cars Rog.

Being in Canada, we get indoctrinated into American muscle cars by default. 

Thankfully our slightly more relaxed import rules are changing that but the big market there is JDM stuff. GT-Rs, RX-7s, Delicas and Supras are the big draw models. European stuff occasionally shows up here too. 

Most of our stuff in the late 60's through early 80's was developed with racing in mind - as it came from the factory ... or close to... most specifically the annual Bathurst enduro where the phrase "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" held true for us. That race track is it's own piece of Australian legend ... and winning it is Australian Motorsports greatest prize. Different manufacturers took different approaches ... a very unique type of Holden designed with Bathurst firmly in view was the Torana ... originally a straight 6 cylinder, Holden realised as the 70's wore on that they would have to upgrade to a V8 if they were to compete effectively with Ford ... The 1977 LX SL/R 5000 (308ci or 5.0L V8) at only 4.5m x 1.7m is an awesome piece of kit!!

Bear in mind these are unmodified factory releases complete with scoops, spoilers and wheel arch flares!!

GEuhnx4.jpg

tCCbEFs.jpg

zlr7QtJ.jpg

The JDM stuff comes with its own version of "Muscle Car" type history ... The Nissan R32 GT-R Skyline was developed as a Group-A racer, where very few modifications were allowed for track racing and so the basic chassis/power train is almost entirely the same as what you get out on the track ... and when Group-A became a part of Australian Motorsport for a season, they dominated. Subaru WRX's, Mitsubishi Lancer EVO's, Toyota Celica GR-4's were all bred for rally work ... engines designed for high rev ranges, turbos, short gearing, all wheel drive systems etc etc ...

• Like 5

Back in the 80s you used to get highlights of the Bathurst enduro on TV over here in the UK on a Saturday afternoon show called World of Sport. As a teenager it always looked so cool and a very scenic track.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, GusMac said:

Back in the 80s you used to get highlights of the Bathurst enduro on TV over here in the UK on a Saturday afternoon show called World of Sport. As a teenager it always looked so cool and a very scenic track.

Oh its scenic all right!! ... Especially if you come off at certain points.

It's one of the most complex and gruelling enduro race circuits in the world. Every year we get drivers from competitions around the world try to score a ride with one of the teams ... during the Group-A era there were international teams that showed up to race here - just at that circuit.

Here's our best ever winner, Peter Brock (9 Times) ... in 1986 talking you through a lap in his VK 5.0L Commodore.

This one earned the main driver a new nickname ... They called him "Lightning Larry Perkins".

From outright last ... to winner in 1995 ... I remember watching this one all day

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
22 hours ago, krow113 said:

Working on this right now;

IMG-7217.jpg

Phoooque me! Dayam! I’ve never ridden a fat tire rigid before, or a fat tire anything before. To me they look scary. No cornering, too long and stable, although my present stock Springer basically rides itself. I love the art, but I’d kill myself on a stretched out fat tire custom bobbed ass kidney killer. 

• Like 3

• Administrators

Nice, mine’s just a stocker 97, cream with red pins, and yes, all the ghey looking fringe is still on the grips, seat, and bags. 

78k miles, and it’s about time to do the top end and the trans. It has an annoying habit of popping out of second gear. And no, it’s not my foot. My size 11s are plenty big to give it a good shove. 

I thought about a new one, but they don’t have anything I like right now, I don’t want any FLH anything, and besides, I’m not a fan of the twin cam or it’s various iterations.   Almost bit on a 17 Heritage softail, though  

80” with an oil cooler and a carb are fine by me.  Any more runs hot down here. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, krow113 said:

In/out of gear is the first symptom of the shifter detente spring going.

An annoying little spring that entails half the bike getting disasembled to fix.

Well, it’s time for some work, so maybe a motor is due the old girl. And going through the gearbox, a new clutch, primary, wheel and neck bearings, powdercoat the frame, swing arm bushings, shocks, springs, brakes, re-lace the wheels, tubes, tires, drive belt, and, and, and, and....

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Know, you love rides that beat you up, man.  Are you on the kidney list yet?

No my back has been good to me as I have been good to it.

A properly set up rigid is fun to ride , you can steer it with your ass , and if you see the bumps ahead you can pulll your self off the seat by the handlebars and skate right over them.

I'll be 58 in a short time , still building a rigid for personal use.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2020 at 5:30 AM, krow113 said:

Here is the bike, there is a softy seat really big for your butt:

I appreciate the craftmanship and art which goes into these bikes, but I would never want to ride one. For European mountain roads, there is nothing better than a lightweight powerbike like this.
I had one in Berlin and it was perfect for fast city commuting, sharp as a stiletto and more comfortable than it looks. It was one of the last ones with carburetor and had a perfect balance with 115 horsepower and less than 200kg with almost twenty liters of gas in it. 

I sold it heavy hearted, and quit biking, due to some other risky hobbies I have.

This was not mine, but it looked very similar. 

Cheers Rob

KTM 950/SM 990/SM SP Engineering gran diámetro de acero pulido XL ...

• Like 6

I like riding all kinds of bikes and love it all.

My fav was 'Busa I took for a ride, stood it straight up in the air , then took it back .Carefully.

Imagining bikes in a setting they are not made for is wasteful thinking to say the least.

Reading my post further you will see the statement that its a saturday night cruiser nothing more.

Not all of us want to look like a recon probe from the spaceship that just landed yonder.

lol

I ride this almost everyday:

image.thumb.jpeg.13ea9a7105668d16940dba46706a07f2.jpeg

It can and does handle any roadway and riding situation.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, krow113 said:

I like riding all kinds of bikes and love it all.

My fav was 'Busa I took for a ride, stood it straight up in the air , then took it back .Carefully.

Imagining bikes in a setting they are not made for is wasteful thinking to say the least.

Reading my post further you will see the statement that its a saturday night cruiser nothing more.

Not all of us want to look like a recon probe from the spaceship that just landed yonder.

lol

I ride this almost everyday:

That was not meant to provoke you, it's just a different approach, I liked to have one bike for every purpose, commuting (loved to ride the Berlin city highways in the night, with lots of curves and tunnels), trips up to two weeks and shredding rubber in tight curved mountain areas.
A friend of mine, who I toured a lot with had a Harley, and sometimes we changed bikes and had fun, but felt wrong on each others the bike.
I haven't overseen, that you mentioned a cruiser, but to me it has to be one bike only, I couldn't stand to have to choose.
By the way, these old KTM big twins sound like a Harley on speed.
I honestly love the custom work going into your bike and the craftmanship, just not my pair of shoes. 

Cheers Rob

• Like 3