The Great LSP Twins Group Build Starts Jan 24, 2024 - End July 3, 2024 ×

As I mentioned before, while enjoying my time with the company of some nice folk at the IMPS nationals I received a text from my neighbour. The content was rather upsetting, something along the lines : Hey Martin, we had a savage hail storm and your Mustang is badly damaged .

Message_1533518043406.jpg.0058480f2b0909d10a0476b83d3bbc0e.jpgMessage_1533518018111.thumb.jpg.240786d2b09a9e240a13be480467b7f7.jpg

I guess everyone has its own insurance story and mine is not any different. After few months of chasing agents and adjustors around and around in debilitating circe I finally received finalized assessment worth almost $ 15000.

Long story short, car is currently in a reputable custom body-shop.

And guess what happened on Thursday, my new hood arrived. Code name: "when I grow up , I want to be Shelby GT 350 " :)

20181012_112308.thumb.jpg.0c04ceb119e579ebe551103b1337a087.jpg20181012_112256.thumb.jpg.1ff713d3c54733d946cfa222b0a4edab.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

That is great news, BUT how are they going to repair the roof??? surely not pick and file?? That will take ages, and it might have to be as it is a black car........ the GT 350 hood will look REALLY cool......my buddy told me yesterday that the Ford dealership in Trail BC is getting a 'Bullit' Stang in the next week or so....... how long did they say for the repairs to be done? That looks like months worth of detailed work, and I hope you do  close inspection when complete, under the lights AND in the sun....... keep us posted, I'm thrilled for you......insurance companies on the other hand.....:tank:

• Like 4

Thank you Jeff, the roof is getting done as we speak. Interior is out and a real body work is taking place since the main roof rails are made of structural steel .

The whole thing is getting painted, well almost. they have to blend the hood and the roof and clear coat pretty much everything. she is getting polish etc. I prefer no shortcuts :)

edit: the repair time is estimated for 11 days. I haven't had a chance to see the new bullit mustang. not sure if it feels right to put Bullit badge on the new style body, that looks so very little like the original 68

• Like 4

Of course, "Prefer NO short cut", the car should look as good as new or better..... yeah I kind of thought they would have to pull the headliner, and then the old body hammer with a light touch will be needed....... sure doesn't take mush for 15 grand worth of damage eh? Also you are lucky you don't have the communist insurance like we do here in BC....... as I found it troublesome to get private insurance, as we are REQUIRED to have ICBC insurance FIRST ,( and it aint cheap)  then you can opt for private extras, but here you MUST have ICBC, basic,  which to me is some sort illegal monopoly, but they don't ask me ( and don't get me started) we get what ever ICBC decides is appropriate for damage repairs, and that's that.... oh YOU can spend more if you want, but usually here it is Bargain Basement money..... see ICBC needs the insurance money to pay their CEO's 6 figure salary's...... I prefer no short cuts too, but here, .............. well................. not a lot of choice......................  :(

• Like 3

and 11 days is nothing, wow that is good, you will get it back before the dead of winter sets in, that's great......and yes I totally agree with the Bullit thing..... not much compares with a 68 390 4 speed........... I'm a Corvette guy now, but I had 3 Mustang's, 2, 68 notch back 289 autos, and a 71 Mach 1, 351 CJ with Ram Air and 4 speed.....

• Like 3

Interesting that you mentioned 71 Mach1 . 14 years back I saw one in Nelson area for sale for 10 grand, unfortunately it had big block of bondo peeling off the rear right fender.

I love C3 generation Corvette, besides the Challenger/Cuda that is the absolute best what muscle era brought to the world in terms of aesthetics . As a european kid I always loved the idea of driving rumbling V-8 with "NFG" attitude :) , needless to say , as a european kid I still want to bolt on a root supercharger on top of it... just for the extra whine LOL

ICBC tortured me too, in many occasions, I still miss so much about BC, but totalitarian establishments creeps the heck out of me.

• Like 4

• Administrators

Martin, this is looking good.

I just had a crazy thought... Looking at that flat black hood,.... I wonder how a flat black scoop would look...  or an area of flat black like some 60s cars did. Mostly Dodge, I think...

Well, on second thought, that scoop doesn’t really stand proud enough.  I dunno.  Just acid flashbacks, I guess....

• Like 4

15 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Man, that's quite the oilcanning effect. :D

Glad to see that they're taking them out the proper way and not just bondo-ing everything.

Carl

Thank You Carl. Oilcanning is very popular in Calgary :), no bond on this baby.

15 hours ago, Jeff said:

This is going to be a full re-paint?..................... I hope,......as there are many blacks, and it has to be perfect, and BTW, that hood is gonna be COOL!!!!

Thank You Jeff. Not exactly full repaint, but most of it has to to be blended and clear of course.

14 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Martin, this is looking good.

I just had a crazy thought... Looking at that flat black hood,.... I wonder how a flat black scoop would look...  or an area of flat black like some 60s cars did. Mostly Dodge, I think...

Well, on second thought, that scoop doesn’t really stand proud enough.  I dunno.  Just acid flashbacks, I guess....

Thank You Ernie . I was contemplating hood this ram air scoop from Trufiber, that looks attractive but it was too heavy and the fit of this product is questionable and would probably take too much time/money to make it look semi-decent. 

Gt 350 hood looks smooth and vents the heat just as Henry wanted :). It is also lighter then the stock one.  Also

Also the idea of forcing air to the chambers has a much nicer form :)

Edelbrock+E-Force+Supercharger+Kit+Stage

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

'twas about time.

That's one mean looking Ford Capri.  And soooo sqeaky clean... ;)

(mine needs some dusting...seriously)

Thank You for the kind words Ivan :) ,Yeah, I like my little Capri LOL..... the picture above is not my car, I just hang it there to show the look of the Trufiber hood.

37 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Gorgeous.............................. and that's from a Corvette guy !

Thank You Jeff, however it is not done yet. After the paint job is finished, it will be cured, wet sanded and polished. I will keep you posted guys.  And I do not differentiate between brands .

Car guy is a car guy, no matter what you drive as long as you have a pride in what you drive and the ride makes you happy. Every gear head needs some grease once in a while.

,unless...... :) (excuse the course language )

1:49

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

(...) That is one sweet Bullitt you have there sir. It is blending too :) Are you planning to ship it to NZ ?

Yes. The 2008 Bullitt plus spares will follow in March/April 2019.

brzGl0b.jpg

Being white-listed by the NZ Transportation Agency as a collector's item, and being built "in annual numbers less than 20.000 units", it can be imported and registered as a left-hand drive car in right-hand drive NZ.

A few moths ago, I sold my hypersnakish Shelby back to the U.S. 

• Like 2