The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Lancaster B Mk.I, R5868, PO-S (S-Sugar)

Nice work James,

I have a question for you.. shouldn't the fuselage skin in the cockpit area be painted black? This is something that is really confusing me in my research and it would appear that all photo's I have show the fuse internals to be black back to the radio compartment?

You appear to have not fitted part P43, the elevator trim control wheel?

• Like 3

Black cockpit sides is a postwar (or possibly Canadian production) modification. Please be warned that most extant Lancasters are Canadian built. James is building the Lanc that is on display at Hendon and was ordered as a Manchester, modified into a Lancaster and served all through the war. Apart from that she suffered a lot of vandalism during the years on outside display. Exhibit aircraft may not be an accurate reference.

Cees

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Wingco57 said:

Black cockpit sides is a postwar (or possibly Canadian production) modification. Please be warned that most extant Lancasters are Canadian built. James is building the Lanc that is on display at Hendon and was ordered as a Manchester, modified into a Lancaster and served all through the war. Apart from that she suffered a lot of vandalism during the years on outside display. Exhibit aircraft may not be an accurate reference.

Cees

Thanks Cees. 

So, can you please confirm for me, and many others I’m sure, the whole fuselage internals are green other than the bomb Aimers area?

The SAM book I have even shows the nose area as green?? 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2019 at 2:31 PM, Wingco57 said:

Cees

NX611 at East Kirkby was not Canadian built (she was built by Austin Motors) and she has a Black cockpit up to the front of the main spar. As does PA474. 

Also the A.V.Roe Co Ltd camouflage drawing Z1723 of 31/3/41 specifies only that 'the interior of the bomb compartment, undercarriage compartment including doors and interior of wing flaps are to be painted Night'.

As mentioned above the fuselage interior was green on early Lancs and then Night later on and this probably applied to turrets too.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, daz greenwood said:

NX611 at East Kirkby was not Canadian built (she was built by Austin Motors) and she has a Black cockpit up to the front of the main spar. As does PA474. 

Also the A.V.Roe Co Ltd camouflage drawing Z1723 of 31/3/41 specifies only that 'the interior of the bomb compartment, undercarriage compartment including doors and interior of wing flaps are to be painted Night'.

As mentioned above the fuselage interior was green on early Lancs and then Night later on and this probably applied to turrets too.

That is of great interest as I had not previously known of such a document.

• Like 2

Good to see you have a few good books . . . .

Think I have all of those and a few more because I have been following this girl for about 40-50 yrs . . . .

I was even out on Lincoln High street campaigning with Stuart and others in the late 1970's early 80's to keep PA474 in Lincolnshire and I have the commemorative photos of her when she left Waddington with pilot Ken Snell; how she looked so different back then  . . .

(thats why she carrys the Lincoln City coat of Arms) thro campaigning

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, npb748r said:

all those fuselage windows to mask - had the thought run through my head this morning. I had better get a film on and a pint ready to get through it !  

I did mask them originally, until I found out that S-Sugar just had them painted over!!! 

So, I unmasked them all. :icon_eek:

• Like 3

Be careful James as Sugar has been through many transformations. It depend at which point of her career you are going to build your model. If it is before the major overhaul in 1944 chances are that the windows are still present. Check your references.

Cees

• Like 2

On 12/28/2018 at 5:03 PM, James H said:

The coloured rings are hand painted. The square surrounds are masked and airbrushed.

Airscale supply the FUEL part as a decal though, and those red tabs, plus the main placard.

Other placards are from Airscale's Cockpit Placard set.

Hi James, not being a Lancaster affishinato, what is the round grey part that is sitting on the little part of photo etch that bends down through the opening in the IP? Is that a compass and is it a part from the kit? It didn't come in my Airscale kit.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 5:03 PM, James H said:

The coloured rings are hand painted. The square surrounds are masked and airbrushed.

Airscale supply the FUEL part as a decal though, and those red tabs, plus the main placard.

Other placards are from Airscale's Cockpit Placard set.

Hi James, not being a Lancaster affishinato, what is the round grey part that is sitting on the little part of photo etch the bends down through the opening in the IP? Isthat a compass and is it a part from the kit? It didn't come in my Airscale kit.

• Like 1