The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

A Wee Side Project: the Airfix Car Door Tiffie

Martin, thanks! I did see those photos, and good spot on the lower wing. This photo was taken when the early Typhoon had the exposed cannons. When the fairings were later added in 1943 I assume the lower wing roundels were revised...but then the fuselage roundels probably were as well! At this point I will leave it as is, until I can get more reference info.

Cheers,  Tom

A4180BAD-7AD8-4F13-BB58-4AF87D450150.jpeg

• Like 3

Last update before the RFI: I finished the landing gear (still need to add the tire slip markers), added the exhausts, the canopy (still need to add the car door details), and repositioned the starboard "G" (Try that with a decal!). Not much left!

Cheers,

Tom

q7.jpg

q8.jpg

qimage2.jpg

qimage4.jpg

• Like 5

Thank you everyone!  I held off purchasing this kit for years. 1/24 scale? Too big, not for me. Airfix? Fit and accuracy issues. But I now have to tell you that this is one of my favorite builds in memory. For a cost equivalent to a Wingnut Wings kit this has everything: exceptional engineering, accuracy, unprecedented surface detail. Yes it’s big but still about as big as my 1/32 P-61. I have the bubbletop kit and will build that as well!

Cheers,  Tom

• Like 4

• Administrators

Tom, you have every right to be proud. This is one of the finest builds I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen a bunch. 

Like you I’ve been leery of Airfix. I’ve had my moments with Airfix kits as a kid in the 60s and 70s, and haven’t touched them since.   You’ve restored my faith.

Brilliant work!

• Like 3