The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Revell RF-4C 14th TRS

Those seats are indeed amazing.  I'm impressed by the level of detail!

Eye strain sux.  I have four separate pairs of eyeglasses for each level of detail.

Isn't it better to dream about models than to dream about work?

Good job man, keep rocking!

Gaz

• Like 2

Thank you Gaz...you are very much correct, I would rather dream of such things. I just bought a visor with lighting and extra magnification.  Now I am having a problem registering the location of the object, my hand and the brush.  All in due time.

My wife bought me some great single malt and some new drinking glasses.  I am sure my vision and coordination is going to improve tonight.....:wine:

• Like 2

I may be a little too late but as you are working towards a Vietnam era RF-4C I thought these may be of use to you.

The are scans of the front and rear cockpit from the RF-4C-1 flight manual.

OHx9hjY.jpg

UG3ZhpX.jpg

Cheers,

Barry

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Barry said:

I may be a little too late but as you are working towards a Vietnam era RF-4C I thought these may be of use to you.

The are scans of the front and rear cockpit from the RF-4C-1 flight manual.

OHx9hjY.jpg

UG3ZhpX.jpg

Cheers,

Barry

Thank you Barry,

I sure appreciate these.  Its never too late as some guy might need them as well.  Luckily, I already had them.  My issue was the bulkhead, and having the right stuff in general.  This plane serves a great lesson for me.  By far the biggest project.  But its part of the path as I move towards becoming more and more detailed in my future builds. 

-Frank

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Aces on the MD seats - looking fantastic.

Enjoy your Iwata Eclipse - awesome AB for sure.

Peter

Thank you Peter,  Next time I will have all the wiring to scale and better equipment.  It sure has been fun though.  Thank you for your continued kind words.

-Frank

• Like 1

I am trying to get the wiring configuration for the whole of the Cockpit for an RF-4C.   I know some of it wont be seen, but I am using the whole of the operation to practice wiring as discipline.

This a close up of some of the wiring I have been doing.  All of it can be replaced/rerouted upon verification of the real thing.  Or, I can leave it depending on whats discovered. 

IMG-0453.jpg

IMG-0454.jpg

Any wiring information will be much appreciated.

-Frank

• Like 4

Lots and lots of detail work.  Wiring has certainly been the focus.  I have been looking at everything wiring.  And when it comes to the phantom it has a few wires.  The cockpit wiring has been created and some installed.  Some wiring from the pictures below will be ripped out and replaced as information has presented other, more realistic, options.  I am waiting on getting a smaller drill set.  Much of the wiring on the back deck comes in from the fuselage.  The design of the GT Resin Cockpit requires that after I install it in to the fuselage then run the wiring coming in from the vertical portion of the back deck.  Also the WSO instrument panel will have to be permanently affixed prior to additional wiring.  So it will be a multi stage process to complete the cockpit as a whole.  I started making harnesses and installing as sets and ran in to some problems.  I eventually stared running each wire individually.  I have made plans for all of the landing gear bays and of course the landing gear.  

Below is where I am now.  Actually its time to take a break from the cockpit detail work and move back to the camera's.  I plan to do some wiring and install the cameras in to their cradles in the coming week.  Once I have done that I can think about installing them in to the fuselage along with the cockpit.  I will need to work out the cockpit side panels as they dont seem to fit the cockpit in a intuitive way.  I have been trying to make sense of the cockpit side panels by dry fitting them with little luck to this point.

I have yet to install some detail on the ejection seats and in the cockpit in the interest of simplifying future construction.  And hopefully increasing the survival probability of the more fragile bits. 

IMG-0494.jpg

IMG-0495.jpg

IMG-0499.jpg

IMG-0500.jpg

IMG-0501.jpg

As usual I appreciate any and all input. I do need to make note to the many that have offered me information during this build.  I do very much appreciate it!!

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Barry said:

Frank,

The cockpit looks very nice indeed!

Cheers,

Barry

Thank you Barry, and thank you for your help.

19 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

That's looking good 

Thank you sir.  I have seen you work, I am but a shadow...:notworthy:

18 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Frank, that pit is AMAZING!

Thank you Bill.  Much appreciated.

17 hours ago, Drifter said:

I cant do Jet cockpits. Your work is mind blowing. 

Thank you.  When my mind is blown I sit for a bit and sip fine scotch whisky, hopefully it will work for you.  :piliot:

16 hours ago, DocRob said:

Very nice busy looking cockpit. The wiring adds a lot, it tends to enhance the 3D representation of the workplaces.

Cheers Rob

Indeed your work is fantastic.  Thank you.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Good GRIEF, that is amazing work.  Impressive work, my friend, it’s an ambitious project and it’s good to see you’re well on your way.

I’ve heard that taking the Revell kit road to RF-4C is a real adventure, but you’re kicking butt and taking names.

In awe 

• Like 2

Thank you very much.   When I was younger I built 1/72 and 1/48th scale phantoms.  It has been something like 20 years since my last phantom build.  In many ways this is also for me as much as it is for the pilot. The revell kit isn't as good as others on the market.  In the end it will look like a phantom....I phase in and out to being that kid that's just happy to build and to up and coming bolt counter.  And in that spectrum I will enjoy, as I hope you do.....

Thanks for the kind words Ernie.  There will be no cats in my build area....:2guns:

• Like 1

Finally putting together a few of the sub assembly's in to the fuselage.  The Camera's were eventually left to be good enough as I kept learning and gaining ability to make them better, soon they were good enough.  They were not going to be exposed so further detail and enhancement was not going to give any returns just skills.  All the wiring and detail wont be seen but I learned a lot about modifying stock parts and and have become way more confident.  I had to fight the camera structures to make them fit so that they were aligned with the view windows.  In the end they lined up pretty well.

IMG-0582.jpg

IMG-0583.jpg

IMG-0626.jpg

IMG-0628.jpg

This is the front wheel bay wiring/hydraulic lines.  A little bit of custom parts created from the plastic card stock.  I used both an aluminum and copper tape to tryout creating conduit joints.  They both worked pretty well and were easily formed and cut to make whatever form was need.  Just about to primer. 

IMG-0639.jpg

I put some time in to test fitting the cockpit and front instrument panel.  Had to create a new base for the front instrument panel and work on positioning and fit.  I hope to have that installed by the end of the weekend.  We will see...

IMG-0625.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of work over the course of the last couple days.  I was away for a bit and missed my workbench dearly.  Clearly I am addicted.  :D

Lots of attention to the forward fuselage and cockpit.  The cockpit is secured with the side instrumentation fitted and glued.  I will take some close ups when I am done with all the extra wiring.   I glued and filled the lower section, front landing gear bay,  of the forward fuselage.   It was a bit of  challenge and required a fair amount gap filling.  I am finally to the finer points of smoothing and re scribing. 

IMG-0739.jpg

When the lower was fitted it was clear that the upper cockpit section wasn't going to align well with the lower.  While there wasn't much of a gap, the plastic couldn't be affixed so that both sides were level.  So there was much more putty and sanding than I had hoped.

The front landing gear bay itself fit very well to the lower fuselage section and required little attention after gluing. 

IMG-0740.jpg

IMG-0741.jpg

The auxiliary air intakes had a lot of metallic experimentation done on them and came out well.  The camera isn't doing them justice, rather my inability to take proper photo's.

IMG-0648.jpg

The aux air intakes were fitted with the red "boarders" cut from bulk plastic, edges filled and painted red.  Out of shear luck, the doors that came with the aux air intakes match up to the modifications wonderfully.   I did a ton of wiring to the bay of the main landing gear after I did the aux intake work.  Pictures upon completion.

IMG-0676.jpg

IMG-0680.jpg

Lots of parts painted red.  A second coat awaits some parts.

IMG-0738.jpg

The red tail of the 14TRS and the photo flare box received their first coat of red.

IMG-0742.jpg

I also started the detailing of the landing gear, pylons and the ECM pods.   She is starting to take shape.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 9:26 PM, GazzaS said:

You are doing some amazing detailing, Frank!  Those Aux air intakes look really cool.

Gaz

Thank you Gaz!  I think I used too much wash but they are not going to be the focus any time soon.  I have cleaned them up a little to lighten them up.

-Frank

• Like 2