The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Brummbär! I beg your pardon! 27/Dec/18

19 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Thanks Kent,

I'm using this to do the Zimmerit:

mont_marte_modelling_paste__500ml_152782

You can find it at Crazy Clarks or other stores of that ilk.  It responds well to raking and slicing, but not to pushing like you might try with the tip of a screw driver.  It doesn't from a skin, and in this application becomes chippable after 20 minutes.  It doesn't bite into the plastic and doesn't from a skin. 

Gaz

Thanks buddy,

As luck would have it, Aldi has a big arts and crafts sale this week. I saw a few pots of it down there.

Regards,

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

Some work with oils.  The oils do a bang-up job of bringing the Zimmerit into 3d.

46482474_550262108773868_487403057085153

46503602_550262165440529_337241954786371

46669493_550262292107183_283850919547555

You can see the dot's added for a dot filter.  However, the Zimmerit complicated matters.  Imagine pouring water down a flight of steps.  As the water hits each steps, it spreads sideways before running down to the next step.  So, in this small space, the dot's spread to a width of almost 7mm with more paint on the edges than down the middle.  I'll try again once the oils have dried a bit.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Zimmerit looks spot on, only one question, why do the tracks have different orientation?

Cuz some dum-dum was so intent on getting everything else perfect that he didn't realize it until all 100+ glue points were set firmly.

Gaz

• Like 4

HI Everyone,

Time for another update.  Bear in mind that everything I've done since the last update took less than 3 hours...

V4Kxbo.jpg

This is immediately after putting a matte coat over everything.  Sometimes, this is a great place to stop.

BPQPUa.jpg

With the matte coat on the tracks, you can see the muted earth tones applied with the oils.

f7oJvA.jpg

I use a cheap food container lid as a palette for my dust colors.  The blue blob in the center is window cleaner.  The color mixing will happen in the center.  I mix in small batches to create different shades of pastel mud and dust.

OjkzoY.jpg

A wet, muddy look.  I googled to see what my local mud should look like.  But what I want is the dry look...

Rrh9pt.jpg

The pastels are dry and ready for brushing.  I have various brushes for this.

NoQfPE.jpg

Dust is the great obliterator of detail.  I can see why a lot of ppl won't use it in favor of having the details show.   Choose your poison...

gDy6kf.jpg

What do you see?  Dust?  Dried mud?  It's up to the imagination, really.  You can always brush off more, or add more.

cOkaYB.jpg

Finally, the dried mud/dust effect in the tracks. 

Soon begins the most arduous task:  Painting all of the parts which have the paint and dirt worn off during travel with a white-metal paint.  Sprocket teeth...  guide horns...  portions of the exteriors of the tracks where metal is exposed by the scrubbing motion of dirt.  Gonna take a lot of work...

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Looking good and favor the pastels as well

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you Peter.   I've begun using them more on aircraft, too.

3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Gaz, absolutely stupendous........love it........I’m going have to re read the weathering bit, for my next PZ III.....

Thank you, Phil!

1 minute ago, kahunaminor said:

You have that well in hand Gaz,

Great result with the pastels, a medium I have not previously used but now I am considering.

Regards,

Thank you, Kent!  The best thing about pastels is that they often give a random-ness that is hard to create with human hands.  I used them a lot on my Me-410 build to add another dimension to the paint.

Gaz