The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Brummbär! I beg your pardon! 27/Dec/18

Oh, by the way, if anyone Stateside is interested DragonUSAonline.com is having a Veteran's Day sale now until 11/12 where the code VET50 gets you an additional 50% off in-stock items. Shipping is free if you go over $99.

I know that doesn't help you, Gaz, seeing as you live in one of those bizarre third world countries I heard about on National Geographic.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Nice start on the armor and lots of photos as you go. I keep wanting to test the waters on the dark side but my knowledge is on the other side of zero.

Keep ‘em Comin

Peter

Thank you, Peter!  I find that delving into something I know nothing about is an excellent mojo motivator.  I think you should take the plunge and not worry about the results.  A lot of the same techniques can be used to weather a tank as an airplane, filters, washes, pigments, so it's not like diving into black hole.  It's just plastic in different shapes.

Gaz

• Like 2

Martin,

Thanks for the great photos!  I've done canvas in smaller scale, but I think I'm not going to bother here.  As it's a Dragon kit, there will be enough tiny parts to try my patience.

Gaz

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Martin,

Thanks for the great photos!  I've done canvas in smaller scale, but I think I'm not going to bother here.  As it's a Dragon kit, there will be enough tiny parts to try my patience.

Gaz

Yes, I am building their Marder III H right now and was going nuts trying to build a PE latch for the bolt cutters last night.

• Like 2

Just now, [CAT]CplSlade said:

Yes, I am building their Marder III H right now and was going nuts trying to build a PE latch for the bolt cutters last night.

I built that one a couple years ago...  my first Dragon kit.  There was a large amount of PE I didn't use.

• Like 1

Nice start Gaz........the Marder H was also my first Dragon and AFV after coming back to the hobby........I must finish it:o

I find with Dragon is read the instructions, then read again, test fit and read again.......overall they are good kits.......

I have this lurking in the stash, an enormous number of parts

C370B03D-B11F-494C-A916-3E99E7E58960.jpeg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

Sad thing is I am building a Smart Kit which is supposed to simplify many of the things found in the earlier parts-heavy kits, but many of the parts have no plastic alternative.

:(

From memory, mine had a metal barrel, PE 3D basket behind the fighting compartment, and a lot of other PE stuff.  Some of my PE work was pretty haphazard and wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny.  And the tool brackets were pure hell.  It was a great kit, and Im sure would have looked great had somebody besides me done it.

• Like 2

I don't think Smart Kit referred to a reduction of parts.  I think in general the Smart kits have more parts, and in some places...  like those tool clasps, moulded parts wouldn't have looked as good.

In general I hate PE cuz it pops off so easily sometimes.  And trying to make boxes of the stuff never seem to hold together well for me.

Gaz

• Like 1

Actually they are supposed to be reduced parts and simplified construction, as well as less PE. If you check them against earlier versions of the same kits the early kits have more complicated suspension components, such as separate parts for the rubber tires. They basically took advantage of improvements in slide-molding to retain fine detail without the need for as much PE. The DS tracks were another step along that path, although that wasn't a step many of us approved of.

I think we are fortunate to get the barrel at least.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

Actually they are supposed to be reduced parts and simplified construction, as well as less PE. If you check them against earlier versions of the same kits the early kits have more complicated suspension components, such as separate parts for the rubber tires. They basically took advantage of improvements in slide-molding to retain fine detail without the need for as much PE. The DS tracks were another step along that path, although that wasn't a step many of us approved of.

I think we are fortunate to get the barrel at least.

Does yours have DS tracks?

I don't care for the DS tracks, and after all of the stuff I've read, I'm not keen to use them if I can find cheap enough replacement tracks.

Gaz

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kahunaminor said:

Looking nice Gaz. I may have missed it but what medium are you using to represent the Zimmerit? A putty of some sort no doubt?

Regards,

Thanks Kent,

I'm using this to do the Zimmerit:

mont_marte_modelling_paste__500ml_152782

You can find it at Crazy Clarks or other stores of that ilk.  It responds well to raking and slicing, but not to pushing like you might try with the tip of a screw driver.  It doesn't from a skin, and in this application becomes chippable after 20 minutes.  It doesn't bite into the plastic and doesn't from a skin. 

Gaz

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SapperSix said:

Looking pretty good Gaz.  I am liking the look you are going for!  Zimmerit isn't as easy as it might seem, you are making it look easy and good....

Thanks, Sapper!  A lot of what is going right is the medium I'm using shown above.  Most modelling putties don't work well for zimmerit.

Gaz

A big day today.  Added all of the indy link 'Magic Tracks' and got the base paints down:

46417777_547481515718594_418500864279943

46370506_547481542385258_458352228148497

46491548_547481562385256_291671008739537

I've done my best to keep the Zimmerit subtle.  I hate it when it dominates the model.

Thanks fer lookin!

Gaz

• Like 4