The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Kitty Hawk F-5F done.

• Administrators

Ivan, there are two schemes for this aircraft, a tri tone grey, and the blue camo.   I’m doing the tri tone grey because Glen wanted OOB. 

There’s the grey scheme...

4D548575-6683-4E18-A75E-4BBEC805C807.jpeg

And the blue...

F4D40ED2-FC2F-4989-BCB9-A2C2910DCD70.jpeg

Same jet, different camo

The model as it sits

2EECA9E8-F7B3-4D31-B765-52BFA5026C58.jpeg

If anything, my light grey is too grey, although it’s much lighter in person. 

• Like 6

• Administrators

I’m considering lightening the lightest grey a bit more still. It’s definitely too grey, although it looks good in person. I might take it out in the sunlight to see how it looks.  Maybe mist it in white tinted Future to lighten up the entire thing  

It these are the color call outs I found. I don’t necessarily trust KH or any kits color call outs. These colors I got off a VFC-111 site and I used Gunze paint 

• Like 4

Looks good. And you're doing a mighty fine job, by the way. 

The fact KH gives a wrong FS number for the darkest grey, 36118, is by no means your fault. Should be 35327. The lighter greys, 36495 and 36320, look spot on and are the correct shades. FS 36118 is significantly darker and lacks the distinctive blueish tinge of FS 35327. 36495, 36320 and 35327 are "official".

• Like 2

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Looks good. And you're doing a mighty fine job, by the way. 

The fact KH gives a wrong FS number for the darkest grey, 36118, is by no means your fault. Should be 35327. The lighter greys, 36495 and 36320, look spot on and are the correct shades. FS 36118 is significantly darkers and lacks the distinctive blueish tinge of FS 35327. 36495, 36320 and 35327 are "official".

Which is why I really appreciate you guys.  I think Glen thought it’d be fitting to watch a prop guy struggle through a jet, but I will prevail!

I’ll do some looking and get the right shade tomorrow. I can quite nicely spot it in. I have a fairly steady hand and it should be OK.

• Like 3

Screw it man...  Just take the easy way out:  74/75/76, a few black Exes here and there.  I mean...those crazy FS-five-digit color codes...  Who needs the worry?  Who can remember?  It'll look spiffy with half the effort.

Gaz

zz3xmu6.jpg

• Like 5

16 hours ago, harv said:

I almost pulled the trigger on this one last night for $35, but delivery was 2-3 months........harv

Takes time to walk the donkeys across the USA I guess eh, Harv? especially after rowing the canoe across the ocean...... 2-3 months in this day and age?? That's just silly....

• Like 3

• Administrators

Ok, so here’s where it gets interesting.  

As most jets are pretty much nothing but featureless blobs to enlightened prop guys like me, color  is everything. A check of my paint used showed the dark grey to be the correct for the aircraft FS 35237, blue-grey. MM calls it medium grey. 

Heres a test spray. The Gunze 35 237 I used is on the left.   MM 35237 enamel is lower right, and MM 35237 acrylic is top right. 

Oh, and yes, I’m shamelessly stirring the pot, troublemaker that I am. :) because we’re all laid back here....

A7C9DA17-72F0-430C-870B-C66A02A8E190.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

I dunno guys. That’s the real call out color according to USN itself. 

What the heck am I missing?

I'm glad you're not asking me since being colourblind, I wouldn't be much use to ya.  

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

The dark grey just didn’t look right. Ivan’s helping figure it out. :)

We’re having fun, actually.

Having fun is the important part. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1