The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Kitty Hawk F-5F done.

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Thanks Carl. I’m so tempted on black...  Mug-28 and all....

I know jets aren't you're thing but does that mean you'll do the matching F-14 with the pilot keeping up international relations? If we can even see the pilot being so short and all...

• Like 4

• Administrators

So, everyone knows I suck at jets. Most know I suck at no Luftwaffe camo patterns. 

So, let’s try the three time grey that the kit supplies decals for.  Yes, there’s also a Russian blue scheme, but this has to be OOB, so grey it is. 

So

i carefully plan my attack, and.........

1AF6F680-EE73-4F03-BDE9-DA1FC4E5DE6B.jpeg

Missed it by THAT much, Chief!

it looks absolutely NOTHING like it should. Colors are not where they should be. Back to the drawing board, or at least we’ll do a few color line “adjustments” where needed. 

Yeah, we can fix it. I HATE masks when doing camo, although I know hat certain subjects, like British WW2 aircraft need to be masked and painted.

• Like 5

• Administrators
4 hours ago, HubertB said:

Told you RLM 02, Dunkelgrau and Hellgrau were no good for a modern jet, Ernie ... :stirthepot:

Hubert

Hubert, it’s tough. Old habits die hard.  Now explain the wood grain floor and the hand crank to close the canopy. 

And where’s the tailwheel? Everyone knows tricycles are for kids.

• Like 3

Ernie

Not sure which is NG: the colors or the cammo pattern. Looks good in the pic and I’m a big fan of the worm method. It’s a lot less stress using worms to get the cammo pattern as wanted and I like to keep them super small but rounded so I get a tight feathered edge.

If it’s the colors don’t look right, are the callouts wrong?

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 2

• Administrators

Agreed, Peter. I’ve always prided myself on my freehand, but actually, the pattern’s not far off. It can be fixed and yes, I can roll some worms and that’ll definitely help. 

The color fallouts are good. I lightened it a bit already and will do some patchwork once I get the pattern perfect.   There’s plenty of variation now, but some lighter areas will help as well.  

Hey, that’s what makes this fun!

• Like 3

• Administrators
On 1/8/2019 at 1:55 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

Every time I try the worm technique, they wriggle away and leave a slimy residue trail behind them.

Or worse, I get the urge to go fishing. :D

Otherwise, I think the camo looks fine if a bit light. 

Carl

Me, I just eat them

• Like 3

What's Kitty Hawk's colour callout for the darkest camouflage colour? Somehow it lacks that very distictive blueish tinge.
The actual pattern colour should be FS 35237 Gray Blue.

[edit]
Just found out KH's painting and markings guide suggests FS 36118 aka Medium Gunship Gray.
Sloppy Hawk strikes again...

For comparison:

pQKlWR8.jpg

FS 35164 was used as the darkest pattern colour on USAF Aggressor F-5E/F aircraft wearing the so-called "New Blue" scheme.

Actual camouflage colours:
(KH F-5F VFC-111/VMFT-401 marking options)

qAshv6t.jpg

• Like 4