The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Kitty Hawk F-5F done.

• Administrators

OK, an update.

after looking it all over tonight, the rear fuselage stripped down nicely with Mr Levelling Thinner and revealed no huge areas of plastic damage. The glue ran over the tailpipe areas, which had the stainless areas masked for painting the camo. The glue didn’t go under the tape except around the side fairings as seen in my pc.  It sanded well, and there  doesn’t seem to be any melting. Some rescribing and reriveting will need to be done.

The fin is T-Totally Trashed.   Melted, warped, and bent.  I have a spare kit, so I’ll rob that one until I can beg another Sprue from Kitty Hawk.  A rescribe, repaint, and new fin gets this one back in the game.

• Like 9

Good to hear a bout the save, Ernie.

Now for those of us who have sometimes experienced spilling one of those glue bottles, a large wooden block can with a middle cavity in which you insert the bottle can save you. Alternatively, you can epoxy-glue the bottle in the middle of a metal tin lid (like a tea box lid for instance). Gives a wider base that makes spilling virtually impossible, and a container to receive the spill if it occurs.

Alternatively, you can, like me, claim that you never, nor will ever, spill one of these :rofl:... Hang on, to achieve that, the best way is to not model at all :wacko:

Hubert

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HubertB said:

Good to hear a bout the save, Ernie.

Now for those of us who have sometimes experienced spilling one of those glue bottles, a large wooden block can with a middle cavity in which you insert the bottle can save you.

I have made me one for the decal solvents, because it is so easy to topple these small bottles while moving the kit and will manufacture me one for my cement bottle as well after reading this.

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/5494-fear-no-more-decaling-worst-nightmare-solved/

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Ernie, the recipe I have for "Tabby Pot Pie" says you can add lots of garlic and onions..... a little hot sauce wouldn't go amiss either..............:rofl:.......   all Bovine Excrement aside, good save and I feel you pain.................... very sorry to hear of your plight...... hang in there buddy we are all on your team....

• Like 3

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Good to hear about the partial save Ernie, I would love to see this one finished. Is the cat still alive ? ..... just kidding :)

What works better on Cats?

1. P-08

2. P-38

3. Browning Hi Power

4. M1911

5. CZ.75

6. FN FAL

7. HK G3

8. M16A1

9. C.96

10. Barrett M107 50 BMG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

What works better on Cats?

1. P-08

2. P-38

3. Browning Hi Power

4. M1911

5. CZ.75

6. FN FAL

7. HK G3

8. M16A1

9. C.96

10. Barrett M107 50 BMG

I would have voted GAU-8 but maybe that's overkill? M61 should be just fine. 

Typing this while my cat gets scratched behind the ears. 

Carl

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I would have voted GAU-8 but maybe that's overkill? M61 should be just fine. 

Typing this while my cat gets scratched behind the ears. 

Carl

Yeah, a GAU-8. That’ll fix his wagon.

I like how you think.

• Like 3

Ernie

Good news for sure and glad to read you have a solid plan.

I did almost the same when building my Tamiya Mossie a few years back but laid the wing down on a paoer towel soaked with Tamiya Air Brush Cleaner. I though the wing was a total disaster but after calming down for a few days, I decided to let the wing dry for a good week, then sanded and filled, repeated a good number of times but saved the Mossie. Note to myself back then: watch where I lay diwn parts!

Peter

• Like 3

• Administrators

Well, we needed to verify straightness, and yes, a slight bit of coaxing was necessary to bring the rear back to plumb, but it seems ok now.  One small area on the starboard side where theere is some slight etching and on the port side where the etches were crazy deep.  Dissolved putty again for deep etches, some sanding for the rezt

78819364-BBBC-4227-B063-74C2EE7A2C3F.jpeg

D22F9875-E6D6-4876-85C0-A18F8366A78B.jpeg

4BCEC1EE-5FDA-4B79-8901-35BD35D72727.jpeg

E70BBE92-2877-428B-B785-05A24E1B5766.jpeg

• Like 4