The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Kitty Hawk F-5F done.

19 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

The dark grey just didn’t look right. Ivan’s helping figure it out. :)

We’re having fun, actually.

LOL

I hate to say it (being a rabid Gunze devotee), but Gunze's 35237 looks off. MM Acrylic looks somewhat better.
It's still lacking that very characteristic blueish tinge, though. Last resort: The Mix.

Got some WW2 USN Intermediate Blue, Ernie? (Mr.COLOR C72/Aqueous HOBBY COLOR H56)
And a clean jar and a dropper or maybe an injection syringe as well?

• 4 parts 35237, 1 part Intermediate Blue
  • 4 parts 35237, 2 parts Intermediate Blue

Or:

• 4 parts of Intermediate Blue C72, 1 part Light Gray C338

FS 35237, good ol' Intermediate Blue and its modern FS 35164 offspring are close relatives. 

bdYCkMN.jpg

(Just between you and me and the wall... I'd leave it as it is.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Ivan, I think a few of those are available as paint masks:

http://www.advmodprds.com/f532.html

Thanks for the link, Carl. Wasn't aware that some of their sets are also available with decals.

Personally speaking, I'd use only the decals on my models. Unless it's one of the serrated schemes with real sharp edges, I much prefer freehand paintjobs.

• Like 1

• Administrators

But uh oh, what did I just feel under my cloth....

No matter how much you check, you always miss something. Rookie mistake.

So out comes the wet paper and a bit of touch up paint, this time with a little better paint mix and airbrush control.

B2B3EA55-AAEA-47FF-8CB6-E9112C2AA453.jpeg

DCCE4A69-88B9-4611-ADA1-B0D2F7176031.jpeg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Those masks are darn cool!  I have a single seater to go as well, and I like some of those as possibilities.

I like the tiger striped one.  Im hoping that someone comes out with a set for the RSAF F-5F. Then ill get one of those too. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I like the tiger striped one.  Im hoping that someone comes out with a set for the RSAF F-5F. Then ill get one of those too. 

This one, Carl?

Y2I2Z7f.jpg

If someone did an F-5S/F-5T conversion set (cockpit and radome), I'd be all in. Stunning scheme.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

This one, Carl?

Y2I2Z7f.jpg

If someone did an F-5S/F-5T conversion set (cockpit and radome), I'd be all in. Stunning scheme.

That's the one! It sure is purdy. Even the ROCAF one would be fine. No big tail art but I know my dad would love it. 

Carl

• Like 3

15 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

That's the one! It sure is purdy. Even the ROCAF one would be fine. No big tail art but I know my dad would love it. 

Carl

The ROCAF Tiger was my favourite. But then I decided to skip the Sloppy Hawk F-5F and buy two Italeri TF-104Gs instead.
My pack of Iffy Hawk F-5Es will need more than enough TLC to get them "right" and will (most definitely) keep me busy for years to come...

zDvgCuE.jpg

• Like 5

• Administrators

Last hurrah for the nasty bench. 

High gloss smooth finish, lukewarm water and lots of setting solution, and one of them still silvered. Hmmm. Ain’t that a kick in the head! I’ll try to hide it but if no luck, off it comes and use one from my spares box. 

010C4305-B527-49C6-87B4-9DA0027D9031.jpeg

• Like 5

If it is OOB, why so much struggle ? Looking like the box art? Yes? Good enough. Unless,  

you want to dump it into a break fluid and cut it into a tiny bits and end up like me, with gazillion unfinished projects and nervous twitch in my left eye :)

• Like 4

Looking great Ernie, shouldn't be your last jet. Sometimes you just have to stay with the oob approach. Trough a build the small errors and tiny 'I should have make it different ' add up naturally and it's easy to lose yourself, getting everything perfect. Finishing a project is also very satisfactory :)

Cheers Rob 

• Like 1