The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Kitty Hawk F-5F done.

• Administrators

Ivan, judging from your pictures, there are HUGE differences between the two kits. The two seater has none of those latches, and my nose section went together more or less effortlessly. I cut away some of the internal structure to keep potential interference issues at bay, but that’s just my cynical nature at work.  

So far, I’ve had no real fit issues yet.  

Fingers crossed. 

• Like 6

On 11/29/2018 at 11:34 PM, Clunkmeister said:

I bought the full Eduard set, some Yellow Wings decals, and a bit of reference materiel. 

It’ll be a semi quirky floatplane build with an awesome opportunity to exercise the airbrush.  I’ll warn you though. I built the engine a while back when it was getting trashed online, and it’s an ‘adventure’, not because of poor fit, but because of poor instructions. There’s plenty you can leave off the engine, like rocker covers and most of the accessory section if you’re modeling a closed cowl. I’ll post some pics once the F-5 is done. 

I think the Kingfisher will display quite nicely next to the HPH PBY-5. 

Carl, there’s plenty of little details you can odd to the Kingfisher cockpits to make it into a stunner. Mostly in the rear pit with gun mount details, radio wiring, etc.  

Thanks Ernie! I'll keep an eye out for it.

Carl

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ernie

Following and enjoying each update. For gaps I deem either too wide, too deep or need support, I use my Goop Mix: sprue dissolved in Testors Liquid Cement. When dry, it’s pure plastic and ready to go. For quicker work: Gorilla CCA.

I’ve got my Kingfisher and might just join the fun when you start yours and Carl jumps in as well.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 5

• Administrators

Well, we had the neighbor’s cat over tonight, it  jumped up onto my bench and knocked over a full bottle of Tamiya extra thin onto my model. 

The fin’s destroyed, as is the rear fuselage and front glare shield.  The glue was on it for literally 15 seconds. What a total waste of time. 

I guess I’ll start fresh on another, salvaging what I can from this one. 

Story of my life

58A4670E-28E8-44DD-828F-A77B894B40CF.jpeg

1440F1D3-30AF-482E-8ADE-FC0550D9EA47.jpeg

73FBE1C0-2F6B-4F15-8D0D-D25A9389C8E7.jpeg

2B8078E0-CA4A-4566-A5B6-18EB8F1CFCB3.jpeg

B721922E-AADF-4BF7-B18C-352F798DA726.jpeg

54B12045-2FE2-4A32-BBEC-C8654AC55515.jpeg

5217434C-74D8-4A33-A6B2-6D305EB0EBCC.jpeg

• Like 6

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Damn Ernie, that's a bloody shame. Glad you didn't stomp on it or the cat. 

As for the Kingfisher, i've got to through a couple B-25s first. But it'll happen.

Carl

The cat’s gone, but for a minute or two I was thinking my Luger hasn’t had work for awhile...

Yeah, the model’s junk. Completely glue soaked the fin so it actually bent. I finished it off. The rear of the model was masked off over the nmf, so the glue seeped under the tape on the rear and etched the plastic. I’ll look tomorrow, but it looks beyond hope.  I guess just crack it open and put the pit into the replacement Glen sent me for building this one. See how t looks tomorrow, but I know how this story usually ends.

• Like 6

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. The quick build starts to slow a little caused by feline desasters. We own only a small dog and it's way easier to keep things out of his reach. One of my other hobbies is my huge collection of vinyls and three turntables, so definitly a no cat house.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5