The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1st LSM Christmas Raffle (list updated)

Clunkmeister

Of course, I'd like to be in, but I don't have a donation and I don't feel right taking and not giving, and like they say on Dragons Den........... 'so for that reason I'm out'....................... in my little pea brain , for me , it is about giving not receiving, so I think this is a really cool thing , and I will watch closely ,as so far the donations are incredibly generous. I'm very impressed with you guys...... best of luck to all who enter...................is it too early to say Merry Christmas?  Erni, just let ius know who won what, if at all possible....... that would be most exciting....and interesting...

• Like 3

Awe shucks you guys................. NOW I owe beer, and by the looks of it a LOT of beer............. I honestly didn't say what I did to get anything for nothing..... kind of how I was brought up.... and Ernie, you know me well.................. Goof is my middle name !!!:rofl: 

• Like 5

Having participated and been a donor in the previous raffles on LSP, may I add two comments ?

1) We most likely all have too many kits in our respective stashes, so giving a kit away seems the right thing to do, but current   postal rates can sometimes make a « free » donation expensive ...

2) Don’t forget a simple « thank you » when you receive something. I was somewhat pissed that a beneficiary of a kit I donated and sent did not even bother to send a thanking PM ;)

Hubert

• Like 8

• Administrators

Hubert, that's a great point.   

Another thing to bear in mind that those of us in the USA and Canada can sometimes lose sight of, or even not even realize. (I only found out a few months back).   Most Western Social Democracies have a thing called GST and or VAT.  It's often payable on every single thing imported into the Country, even gifts. VAT and other taxes in some instances can run 30-40% of the retail value of the kit or more, plus convenience fees on the shipping, brokerage fees on Customs, duties, excise, and all those other fees that Governments find to slap on.  So suddenly that "free gift" ends up costing a pretty penny.  Plus the cost of shipping. OK, I'll put Scrooge McDuck back to bed.

• Like 6

• Administrators
1 minute ago, HubertB said:

You don’t normally pay VAT on parcels identified as « gifts », Ernie. But the shipping can be expensive, still.

Hubert

I think someone got stuck on one going to Britain, Hubert, but maybe I labelled it wrong. :(

• Like 4

Just now, Clunkmeister said:

I think someone got stuck on one going to Britain, Hubert, but maybe I labelled it wrong. :(

We have a peculiar system over here in blighty me old chap where the customs people pick boxes at random and then decide whether to charge you or not. I bought a WNW Albatros for what worked out at £35.00 (55$) by the time the thieving B&£**+_&@#s at Royal mail had finished it cost me another £20.00 "handling charge" they called it. However I bought a hasegawa 109F from HLJ and nothing. So if you ship to the UK the value is 0 and its a gift. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

We have a peculiar system over here in blighty me old chap where the customs people pick boxes at random and then decide whether to charge you or not. I bought a WNW Albatros for what worked out at £35.00 (55$) by the time the thieving B&£**+_&@#s at Royal mail had finished it cost me another £20.00 "handling charge" they called it. However I bought a hasegawa 109F from HLJ and nothing. So if you ship to the UK the value is 0 and its a gift. 

If you want robbery, let me tell you about a package we sent to my sister in Chile. Her youngest daughter was turning 1 so we wanted to send her a red candle shaped like the number 1. We'd used it on the birthday cake for all our kids up to that point. Postage wasn't horrid, $25 or so from Canada. It took 3 weeks instead of the guaranteed 1 week. 

About 2 months after it got there, we received a letter from the courier company that there were duties owed of...

...$325 CAD!!!!!

On a used candle no less!!!! Plus, since they had paid the duties on our behalf, if we didn't reimburse them the bill would be sent to a colllection agency. 

Now we all joke that the candle is going to be an heirloom for when our kids have children.

Carl

• Like 4