The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Jug-gernaut P47D in NMF

Dottie got her metal outfit. AK's Xtreme metal went on fine and seems to be hard as nails. Pigments show a little bit to much for my liking, but I will try to do something about it. I will try to polish a little and will try a coat of Future as well. In the beginning of the spraying process, there was nearly no visible grain, but the black primer still showed. I worked in layers, but maybe not fine enough. I will do some testing with the polished metal on different primers, different pressures, different techniques (layer to flooding) and final coating.

Cheers Rob

P1140646.thumb.JPG.a183df0b0566a9ba7d6f8706e1e5cb08.JPG

P1140644.thumb.JPG.e0f7ee038717d7a5d01f4d1012b41812.JPG

P1140649.thumb.JPG.5e50ef75ceb042b18f312978899a1d3b.JPG

P1140645.thumb.JPG.517b05cf0a3e2829b2304d7a108e651e.JPG

• Like 5

Thank you Senhores, I'm not totally disappointed with the result but also not completely satisfied. The shininess is good, but the grain is a little to prominent. I did my first NMF some years ago on a tiny 1/72 Mig 15 UTI with Alclads and if I remember right, the Aluminium was finer sprayed, I have to look if I still have that kit for comparison. To take some air out of the soso NMF-drama I have to say , that it looks better to the eye than to my unforgiving macro lens.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Your paint job looks nice and even!  Better than I could hope to manage, I think.

My first NMF bird of my modern era of modelling was a Hasegawa Razorback in 1/48.  This was 30+ years after I vowed to myself to never attempt to paint an NMF scheme again.

Gaz

• Like 2

Thanks Gaz, and this NMF-job decades ago let you to the 'easy' way of foiling :lol:? Before I go this way, I will experiment a lot with Xtreme metal. I have the feeling, that I could do better. The preparation was good, with a very smooth primer coat, but I have the feeling, I rushed the layering a bit. Finer coats with more time to dry in between might work better.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DocRob said:

Thanks Gaz, and this NMF-job decades ago let you to the 'easy' way of foiling :lol:?

Cheers Rob

Foiling is easier in some respects.  Where it gets hard is when you think about masking.  Because foil is happy to lift when you don't want it to, but more stubborn than an angry camel when you want to remove it.  I've been considering painting whatever need to be painted on, and then foiling around it, then trimming.  But the paint has to be sturdy enough to take some abuse as the excess foil glue is removed with isopropyl and the aluminum polish that is removed with acetone.  And then there is the question of my ability to trim cleanly.

See...  easy!

Gaz

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Foiling is easier in some respects.  Where it gets hard is when you think about masking.  Because foil is happy to lift when you don't want it to, but more stubborn than an angry camel when you want to remove it.  I've been considering painting whatever need to be painted on, and then foiling around it, then trimming.  But the paint has to be sturdy enough to take some abuse as the excess foil glue is removed with isopropyl and the aluminum polish that is removed with acetone.  And then there is the question of my ability to trim cleanly.

That were exactly my thoughts about foiling. It seems, if you want a real reflective Aluminium look you have to use foil. Colours always have a little grain in it and are not mirroring. Maybe it would be possible to use polishable Colours, but even if they look good, you have the problems with masks, weathering, decals and protective coatings, like you have with foil too. The difficulties you described, lead me to the rule out foil for me
I will try to refine my process of painting to get a better and durable result. I might buy some cheap 1/72 planes for testing what might be possible with paint.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Rob

Aces on a the start of your NFM - looks fantantastic.  I’m strictly in the AK/Alclad camp and love the effects and aluminum shade variations that can be achieved. It’s finally sunken in my block head that the gloss finish under the AK is as important or maybe even more important than the AK itself. For a gloss black base, after trying every gloss black paint and gloss prep:

Mr Color Gloss Black .. dries fast, hard smooth as silk and will help yield a super aluminum finish

Mr Color gloss Medium Gray .. same deal but the aluminum AK on top is a lot less polished and a great base for a more weathered/anodized look.

Foil - fantastic and realistic but a ton of work compared to AK

Keep ‘em comin

Peter 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Aces on a the start of your NFM - looks fantantastic.  I’m strictly in the AK/Alclad camp and love the effects and aluminum shade variations that can be achieved. It’s finally sunken in my block head that the gloss finish under the AK is as important or maybe even more important than the AK itself. For a gloss black base, after trying every gloss black paint and gloss prep:

Thanks Peter, and very helpful informations about your experiences with NMF. After finishing this build, I will dig a little deeper into NMF, using Alclad or AK Xtreme metal. I think both products are capable, but AK is easier to use and to work with after application. Alclad tends to be very delicate, if using masks or washes, etc..

Like you mentioned preparation is the key, surfaces have to be flawless, dust and fat free. I wanted to achieve a durable result with masking, decaling and panel lining ahead and went for Tamiya rattle can primer for judging the surfaces and after that Alclads gloss black primer for enhanced shinyness (Next time I will use AK's gloss black primer and like you suggested Mr. Color gloss black).

In the case of my Jug I think the main factor for not perfect shinyness is the grain/pigments of the Colour. The behaviour of the polished Aluminium color was a little strange while applying. The first layer went on relatively smooth, but with slightly visible grain. I took some minutes and I notice a kind of self levelling effect of the Colour with a finer surface and less visible grain than before.
After the second and the third layer I got the feeling, that while drying the saturation with grain rose to that point you see in the pictures .

The AK-Colour didn't respond well to the test of drying the surface with the airbrush and went grainy in the test area.

Well, for future tests I will try to find out if priming is necessary, if yes, which primer works best and are the results durable enough for 'post processing'. The application of Aluminium color will be main focus concerning pressure and layering vs. 'flooding' techniques.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

On 1/13/2019 at 10:57 PM, Peterpools said:

Rob

Mr Color Gloss Black .. dries fast, hard smooth as silk and will help yield a super aluminum finish

Mr Color gloss Medium Gray .. same deal but the aluminum AK on top is a lot less polished and a great base for a more weathered/anodized look.

Foil - fantastic and realistic but a ton of work compared to AK

Keep ‘em comin

Peter 

Great advice, Peter!

But I love my foil.  Watching what Airscale 32 is doing with thicker aluminum is making me consider other real-metal avenues.

Gaz

• Like 3

Rob

Thanks you for the info and insight on your experiences with AK on the Jug.

I always de-tack my tamiya tape when masking on top and have never had any of the AK lift but I'm sure down the road - there is a pothole waiting.

Looking great

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

Hola Señhoras e Senhores,

after a week of family business, it's back to the bench. The Jug gets near mummyfied for spraying some panels and openings with different Aluminium tones. The tape is detacked (ouch) and the liquid mask was tested on a prepared dummy before applying. AK's Xtreme metal Colours seem to be less fragile than Alclad.

Cheers Rob

P1140671.thumb.JPG.912c68b1b52433096a4b187c615729a7.JPG

P1140672.thumb.JPG.ebdf6a6c8d5b707cb5cb4258151cfdfd.JPG

• Like 5

Thanx Martin,

It rains outside so what better to do than continue with the Jug. Actually she is in the state of Dottification :lol:
I sprayed some panels with different shades of AK's Xtreme Aluminium (pale, dark and only Aluminium) and some Titanium from Alclad for the Turbo hood. Dark Aluminium has nearly no contrast to the polished Aluminium base. In the bottle and on my unprimed dummy it looked quite different, it seems to be effected by a little tranlucency of the black primer. 

Next there was Colour ;), I used Tamiya gloss yellow and red, which sprayed better than feared. I somehow hate to spray red white and yellow, as these Colours clog more in the airbrush than others.

Cheers Rob

P1140673.thumb.JPG.87ce5cee4caee62856d87561106e3ca8.JPG 

• Like 5

Thanks Harv.

Dottie got OD'd. Olive Drab as anti glare went on smooth and fine as always with Lifecolour. The next step will be a little scary as I will see how Future reacts with AK's Xtreme metal. I've tested on a dummy without problems or losing shininess. So far I have to say, Xtreme metal Colours are really durable. There is not the least bit of paint residue on the pulled off masking tape, definitely better than Alclad that way.

Some of you will notice the lack of black markings on the tail and the slightly wider sized and longer anti glare area with the small yellow panel of the Dottie Mae. I show the Jug after restoration and these changes have been made since.

Cheers Rob

P1140674.thumb.JPG.0c628302fa6995fec02970c20463291c.JPG

P1140675.thumb.JPG.14172b2ac108d64ff8e9b1d7ae1e9bef.JPG 

• Like 6