The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

AK True Colors

Peterpools

AK Real Colors:

Read with great interest Ade's review on the Modeling News. As an acrylic lacquer, it caught my eye and I'll be giving it a try in the not so distant future. While my main go to paints are Mr Color, I've been looking for a line of lacquers that not only deep with all the needed colors but will be available from a number of online vendors. Has anyone tried the new paints yet?

The Modeling News link:

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2018/12/133-new-colours-in-ak-interactive-air.html#more

Peter

• Like 3

I've been using their armour colours. I find they're thicker than Gunze Mr Color so need a bit more thinner but spray really nicely. I'm using Mr Color Leveling thinner for thinjing without any issues. They've also got a distinctive odour to them but I'm happy how they're working out. 

I used it on my Sherman Firefly.

IMG_20181116_140017-L.jpg

Carl

• Like 7

A couple more notes.

TheOD sprayed dead flat compared to Mr Color which has a more satin finish to it. 

Clean up is as easy as Mr Color too. I use Tamiya airbrush cleaner for that purpose but I'm sure any regular lacquer thinner would work. 

Martin, the paints are definitely available in Canada. I picked mine up at my my LHS and they stock the full range. They're waiting on the aircraft colours to show up shortly.

Carl

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

This is good.   Gunze Mr. Color has been my go to choice.  Mr. Paint, (MRP) is nice, but tough to get.  With ModelMaster winding down, it's going to be nice to have choices if Gunze suddenly becomes unavailable.  I'm just not really a fan of the Tamiya formulation they sell us in this Country. It seems different than Europe's Tamiya. I don't remember German Tamiya being as cantankerous...

• Like 3

Ernie, if you can find it Tamiya enamel is a great paint to use. We used to be able to get it in Canada but I haven't seen it in decades. I don't think it makes it out of Asia these days. 

Their new lacquer paints are nice though. But theyre only just expanding the range so not as many choices. 

Carl

• Like 2

On a side note Carl...

What is your opinion of the AK book? I'm a member on a Luftwaffe-specific group, and some of the old hands there are less than impressed with the RLM interpretations. 

S

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Wumm said:

On a side note Carl...

What is your opinion of the AK book? I'm a member on a Luftwaffe-specific group, and some of the old hands there are less than impressed with information. 

S

I've only had a chance to flip through it and I'm certainly not an expert but the pages I've read show some real effort was made into the presentation of their research. I'll be reading more of it over the next few days. 

Carl

• Like 3

I use the AK real color for military models and in my opinion it is the best out there. They also make a high compatability thinner, which interestingly doesnt thin the normal bottled AK colors... high compatability?? Oh yeah??

I generally thin the AK paint with around 60% thinner as it is a little thicker than Gunze and Tamiya, but it goes down really nice.

Just my 2p

• Like 3

Hi Ernie

I swtiched from MRP to Gunze - Mr Color as my go to, number one weapon a while back as finding the colors I need in MRP way too frustrating. I love Mr Color and would never switch but wanted a second go to line and it looks like AK True Colors might do the trick. Always a big Tamiya fan but just too many missing colors these days, Mig has proven a great paint but finding the colors I need  and not in sets has been frustrating at best. In the past I would wind up buying paints from two vendors and paying double shipping. Just looking to make things a lot easier plus AK True Colors a nice range of colors. Besides, I love anything with lacquer in the name.

Peter  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I got a number from AK for projects, and so far they spray beautifully.

One question though. If these are 'scale colour' as claimed by AK, meaning that they are lighter than the actual colour due to the so-called scale effect, then how does that then contrast when you add decals, which invariably aren't scale effect? Would that not add some strange contrast?

I find the RAF Dark Earth to be noticeably lighter than I would expect.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Wumm said:

I have my doubts as well Jim...

From a distance, their RLM 83 looks blue!

In all fairness, I think that's a colour that there is some controversy over. One school of thought actually puts it within the blue area.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, James H said:

In all fairness, I think that's a colour that there is some controversy over. One school of thought actually puts it within the blue area.

Yes, there is that school of thought. 

However, AK's apparent thorough research and analysis of extant Luftwaffe colours is completely at odds with their choice of colour for RLM 83, which is a complete guess based on what one particular Reseacher thinks it should look like, without an extant confirmed colour swatch or period sample.

• Like 2