Jump to content

Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder. 

EmperorKai

Spitfire Mk Ia: 610 Squadron, May 1940

Recommended Posts

Kai

Amazing work as always and on one of my Tamiya Spit builds managed to do the exact same with the wing walk lines. Where needed, I doubled decaled as well.

Mig Panel Line Wash looks dead on and with just the right touch:thumbsup2:. I’ve been using Tamiya Panel Line Washes and except for the black, the gray and brown aren’t that effective over most colors. Any chance on doing a mini tutorial on how you use and apply the Mig Wash:help:?

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2018 at 4:45 PM, Martinnfb said:

I just noticed the river being punched by beading tool. Wow. 

Thanks Martin- Actually, ended up doing the cowl fasteners the hard way.  I punched round discs from .05 sheet styrene and then glued each in place (thank heavens for Optivisors).  Once the glue was dry, I then went to each one and drilled out the centers with a pin vise.

That said, I've needed a beading tool enough times now I think I'll get a set.  :)

Kai 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Kai,

    The Wash and decals look great.  The large fuselage markings are my favorite Roundels on any aircraft.  I always thought little roundels ugly.  Looking sweet!  would hardly know it was such an old kit.

 

Gaz

Thanks Gaz!  Funny thing is I'm kind of the opposite- I think I favor the small ones as they are so different from the typical Spitfire markings.  

Kai

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Wingco57 said:

Blimey!!! That's fantastic. Those codes really fight for every inch available on the fuselage.

Thanks Cees!  There were moments I didn't think they would fit!

Kai

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Lovely work sir. A friend of mine has just released insignia masks for 610 sqdn but looks like you did just fine without them 

Thank you Grunhertz!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, nmayhew said:

looks wonderful

never had solvaset do that to eaglecals but you made a good recovery!

Thanks for looking in Nick.

I've never run into this issue either.  I'm wondering if using the Tamiya Markfit under the decals and Solvaset over the top was just too much.  It's also possible I missed a spot when wiping the decal down to tack it into place, leaving a bubble of the Markfit underneath...   

Kai

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Kai

Amazing work as always and on one of my Tamiya Spit builds managed to do the exact same with the wing walk lines. Where needed, I doubled decaled as well.

Mig Panel Line Wash looks dead on and with just the right touch:thumbsup2:. I’ve been using Tamiya Panel Line Washes and except for the black, the gray and brown aren’t that effective over most colors. Any chance on doing a mini tutorial on how you use and apply the Mig Wash:help:?

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter!  It's good to know I'm not the only one to cross that bridge sideways...  

I haven't tried the Tamiya panel washes yet, but have most of them.  I'd love to do a quick tutorial on the Mig wash.  Let me check on pics as they would help illustrate the process.

Kai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A final update here.  

IMG_5287_800.jpg.df0d815202afeba86fc122adb2431603.jpg

The Eagle Editions decals included the tape for the gun ports, however they looked a little bigger than images I was finding on the internet, so I used Tamiya tape instead.  I ended up painting these Model Master Crimson Red.

IMG_5284_800.jpg.305b3c40ca98246c1f61c11fb306f627.jpg

Here is a before-after pic of the Quickboost exhausts which are much better than either the Revell or Hasagawa parts.  On the right, the base color, which is a home brew mix made from Tamiya colors.  On the left, a simple application of pigments.  Much of the effect was lost once a flat coat was applied, so I had to re-apply pigments and some pastels to restore the effect once these were glued into place.

IMG_5422_800.jpg.a56e8fb8d2c64b337e2ed1bbbe6b2c4a.jpg 

All the bits and pieces, loose ends and last minute knick-knacks have been added, and at this point, the build is now complete, making this all but my second for 2018.  Hoping to improve on this in the new year :) 

Pics of the completed build can be found here.

Thanks much for looking in and following along!

Kai

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just Awesome!  I too have learned to put my pigments on last.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Just Awesome!  I too have learned to put my pigments on last.

Gaz- thanks much and for following along with the build!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...