Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder. 

GusMac

Hellenic A-7E

Hi there Gus,

...If it were me, I would first double check that green tone Gus...it looks a wee bit 'grassy' green as opposed to a more 'drab' tone in the photograph (allowing for atmospheric lighting conditions). I would apply a good wash across the entire air-frame (something like a Flory wash or  your own concoction), allow that to dry then spray the aircraft with a Satin varnish or similar (from what I can see in the photograph the Greek Air force have applied a wax to the air-frames to mitigate drag and maintain aerodynamic efficiency). A straight gloss finish may well be a little too shiny.

Wet sand the Satin varnish LIGHTLY and dry with a towel to see where you are. Paneling can be masked off as you wish, just be careful when following photographic reference..light can play tricks on you (something the movie Industry plays upon when painting filming miniatures).

Layering and observation is key here I think Gus - try one layer of technique, see what makes you happy, then decide upon your next move.

That's my two pence worth anyway - the best of luck my friend!  Dennis

• Like 4

Wow Gus just caught up here, love the paint job so effective. I can't help with your next bit, have you an example. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the input guys. 

I get what you're saying about the green Dennis. It doesn't look quite so 'vivid' in natural light and I'm hoping to use some oil dot fading to tone it down a bit.

Still pondering my next move for the over-painting, SO I've bottled it and moved on to building up the MERs and Mk82s to delay the decision!

• Like 3

Hi Gus, I like your green considering the 'warm light' photo situation, with the red background, I think it will look spot on in natural light, specially with a little 'dulling' however you will achieve that.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1