The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

My First Heartbreak 27/Jan/19

15 hours ago, DocRob said:

He sure looks a little weird, but that seems to be caused by the plastic not the paint job. Luckily you can't see the screws on the side of the head, because of the leather helmet :piliot:.

Cheers Rob

Hahaha...  Took me a few minutes to figure out the 'screws' reference.  I must be getting dense!  Thank you!

53 minutes ago, EmperorKai said:

Gaz- considering Revell pilots are born ugly to begin with, you did an awesome job.  Keep going buddy.

Kai

Thank you, Kai!

32 minutes ago, Bill_S said:

This build brings back fond memories for me as well! I remember adding mottling with a piece of sponge dipped in Pactra paint. It came out surprisingly well; I was really proud of that one.

My first mottles were done with the old Testors white plastic paint brushes.  At the time, I thou8ght they were the cutting-edge of model paint brushes.

8 minutes ago, EmperorKai said:

Still have some of those old Pactra paints.  30 cents a bottle- Blasphemy!

Kai

IMG_5289_700.jpg

IMG_5292_700.jpg

Ugh!  Pactra!  I painted the old Monogram Zero and Monogram P-38 with Pactra silver.  What a disaster!

Thanks everyone!

Gaz

• Like 5

Thank you, Peter!

Hi Everyone!

I've begun to work on the aircraft proper now that the pilots is ehhh....  completed.

What started as and exercise to give the trailing edge of the main wings a trailing edge made me realize something special was missing. 

1092.jpg

The characteristic droop of wing radiators and flaps when the bird is in a relaxed state on the ground.

Of course nothing can go smoothly and I promptly ruined one of the radiator flaps when I misdirected my saw.  So, I went to the (Trumpeter) spares box to get a spare and quickly found myself not only replacing all of the radiator flaps, but also the flaps proper.

Truth is, by then I was considering using the ailerons, too.  But, as they neared the wing end, I discovered that the chord was too narrow and I would have to use the kit ailerons from which I have sanded away the heavy-handed details.

69ztI1.jpg

While those are in a state of drying I decided it was high time to dry fit the fuselage.

LhPIM6.jpg

A bit gappy about the wings, but nothing that can't be handled as long as I can avoid sanding off the Revell details.  Despite my best efforts, my replaced detail never looks as good.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

HI everyone,

Completing a couple of other builds put this one on the back burner.  However, I;ve been rolling on it slowly through the week as life has permitted in fits and starts.

The engine and IP.  I didn't bother painting the engine as it would never be seen and would need a lot more love than I was interested in giving to make it presentable.

scU0xi.jpg

I did a quick paint job on the IP and my dry brushing didn't show to well.  The Revi gunsight came with a solid green plastic "lens".  I sawed it off and will replace it with some clear plastic.

The pilot is safely covered by the tip of a rubber glove which is taped to the fuselage sides.

3YB1k4.jpg

Because of the pilot being there (and looking much better than the cockpit details) I placed the radiators in a full open position since the donated Trumpeter parts gave me the freedom to do so.  You'll also noticed that I removed the hinges at the fin and filled the holes with milliput.  A dded the hatch behind the pilot with card.  I have one in PE, but thought I would save it for a future Revell 109 mega-build.

Because the kit MG's looked like anemic Brownings, I decided to replace them with proper MG 131 barrels by Master.  I have a Master Pitot tube to use as well,

pgiROr.jpg

You can just notice the hints of brass under the Tamiya tape.  I'm a bit dubious about the LG angles, but wonder of wonders, both wingtips are 50MM above the tabletop exactly.

You've probably noticed that I've shimmed both the cowling and the wing joints with white card.

dCNZzC.jpg

Amazingly I've got to this point with no loss of surface detail that I didn't mean to remove.  The rudder, ailerons, and elevators are all baby bottom smooth.  I need to engrave a fuel hatch behind the canopy, and two hand-holds before it.  I didn't open up the locator holes for the fuselage beulen.  I'll remove the locators from inside the bumps and position them freehand.

I was tempted to try the Trumpy rudder.  However, the horn balance and the thickness of the rudders is vastly different.  I'll tell you this, though:  Though this kit is wrong in just about every area, it hasn't pissed me off as much as the Eduard 1/32 109E4.   I'm thoroughly digging this kit!

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Love every bit of it, but my biggest smile came with you mentioning the Master barrels on that build, priceless :rofl:, advanced nostalgia in a way.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob.  the fact that I have the barrels stems from an ordering error on my part.  I thought I was ordering three sets of 1/48 parts.  Since my Trumpeter 109 build went to hell, I have a spare set.  So...why not use em'?

Gaz

• Like 3

Hi Everyone,

A little more work trying to get to the painting stage.  Not far away now.

RuGPut.jpg

The pilot now has a respectable reflector sight.

Gme0gE.jpg

DlzkzL.jpg

The tailwheel needed a leather boot to protect the oleo,  I made one from milliput.

sVaB7I.jpg

The aileron balances are curiously shaped.  But they do get the kit onto my jig, finally.

5xMBXs.jpg

Once I integrate the clear pieces with sandpaper, I can prime her.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 6

Hi Everyone,

Through trials and tribulations, I have her ready for some paint.  The propeller is dry-fitted, and will probably not need any glue to hold it on for eternity.  I had to fabricate the muzzle aperture from sprue because I lost the original one, and it fits very snugly.  But...I can still pull it off to paint.  I'm gonna give it a day for the paint to harden, menawhile I'll be working on the Silhouette Portrait to make the markings for which I have no decals.

...the pics were taken outside so are a little bright.

Zo4a0u.jpg

Xq5KPu.jpg

GEkevL.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 5

Thanks Phil!

It's not been too hot in my neck of the woods, this year.  I find the best thing to do is drink a lot of water and avoid thinking about the heat.  You do get used to it.

Gaz

• Like 3

Thank you Peter!  Always glad to see you!

Hi everyone, another update.

Today I got to do a lot of work with my silhouette Portrait making and remaking masks either when I ruined them, or when I discovered that I had made them the wrong size.  The masks I made are only for the markings.  I still mask and paint the camoflage scheme the old fashioned way:  With lots of swearing.  On to the photos:

This was the first marking I did.  The rare IV Gruppe cross symbol.  Unfortunately a little aft, I, I suffered some paint lifting.

p8LRrc.jpg

On the starboard side, all of my efforts resulted in bad lifting!

1iJRg7.jpg

I repaired this side three times.  After a while I figured it out:  The areas where paint lifted didn't get sanded.  The Lightning shaped mask seems to have migrated.  As with all of them, there are spares to cover for mistakes. 

iTWFnu.jpg

Happily, the spinner is done!

XtYrLw.jpg

The 'yellow 12' has black edges complicating the scheme and masking.  Note the simplified crosses for the upper wings.

GBk15v.jpg

I had to remake the underwing cross masks.  My first set were 4mm too long.   I lost a little more paint aft.   grrrrrrr.....

8IMhAX.jpg

Unfortunately my bench time is limited for the next couple of days.  I'll get to see if the masks stay place that long.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

The paint lifting is a bummer gaz. What paint is it? 

It was Alclad micro filling primer.  I thought it would be hot enough to bind with the plastic.  But apparently I'll have to ensure I sand everything now.

Gaz

• Like 3

Neat project Gaz, the modeling gods throw us curveballs from time to time to see if we are paying attention! Good fix on the paint problem.

99% of modeling is knowing how to fix what went wrong.

Ryan

• Like 3

Hi everyone!

I think I've been though a mile and a half of masking tape today...  all of it de-tacked on my arm.   I ended up sanding all of the paint away from aft of the cockpit to the empennage.  That cured most of my paint lift.  I still had a little today, but not enough to cause me to go through hoops again.  The lower rad flaps, antenna, and rudder all got knocked off in the process.  I've re-attached the antenna and the rudder is held on by blutack.  The prop is dry fitted for aesthetic purposes.

QaVURY.jpg

NPOtxs.jpg

I think the port fuselage cross is a bit high...  but it's staying there.  The only direction to go is forward.

TWEdRg.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 4

Wow, that's big trouble with the Colour lifting. Did you rub the plastic with alcohol before priming. Normally Alclad Primer was pretty strong and adhered well, when I used it.
Paint is looking great now, so no way to stop you, right :D?

Cheers Rob

• Like 3