The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

I must be crazy, B-24J on the bench.

Well, I was misled by too cursory reasearch, and consequently misled you. Please accept my apologies. 

I felt the profile above did not look like the wing of a B-24 at the root. This is indeed a « standard » airfoil. But the airfoil section was evolving, from 22 % thickness/chord ratio at the root to 9% at the tip. 15.9 % is just the normal airfoil as Davis designed it.

This means the root thickness in 1/32 should be 2.93 cms. The get the right profile, the image above should be replotted using the 22 % T/C at 29.6 % of the chord.

Hubert

PS: below is the plotted Davis airfoil for 22% T/C ratio and 3.26 % incidence. Sorry for the visual clutter. I did a screen capture on my ipad. Looks definitely more like the B-24 wing at the root, IMHO, and certainly not like what Hobby Boss have designed. It seems the site I could access to in 5 minutes, and enter plotting data in less than that, is not available from mainland China ...

A8BF8A35-65C6-4216-90C0-D0405632539E.png

• Like 5

Thanks for the picture, we all know this kit does not have the Davis airfoil, and I am not plannng on fixing it. The only issue in this kit that i deem unlivable, is that front turret, everything about it is wrong. The space for the gunner is so small, it would have to be a 5 year old child, every single part of the interior of it is grossly off. I determined you have two options, leave it be, or scratch build the whole thing. I was close to scratching it from plasticard, strips, rods, etc. But finding out last night that replacements are coming from Brassin, I will hold off temporarily. The rear turret is better, and much more accurate, but still has the seam along the top. When I see what Brassin is going to do and if they offer the rear A6a and front A6b turrets, as well as the corrected front A-15, this will determine what final version I will do. I am going to work on the rest of the full interior on it until then.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Thanks for the airfoil profile, Hubert. The kit is livable, AM will fix the turrets, engines, wheels, guns, etc, but I’m really going to try something with the wing root, just for onsee if it’s doable. 

Once I get a kit in hand, we’ll see, but who knows. This is a must do model, but for me at least, one where the the aftermarket needs to catch up to my wants and desires.

I do thank HB for bringing it out, however this even more makes me appreciate Neil and the guys at HK who were willing to listen to and take the input from  the LSM Admins when it came to making needed changes to the Lancaster.

The Lanc speaks for itself!

• Like 4

I can't believe those clear parts...  what a kick in the balls.

I believe that AM should be for super-detailing or for making thin parts that plastic cannot duplicate.  Not for replacing shitty workmanship.

Sorry for the language.  But there is just no excuse for that.

Gaz

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

I believe that AM should be for super-detailing or for making thin parts that plastic cannot duplicate.  Not for replacing shitty workmanship.

*cough*

Revell Bf109G-6 cowl and buelen issues

*cough*

Sorry, had something caught in my throat...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Wumm said:

*cough*

Revell Bf109G-6 cowl and buelen issues

*cough*

Sorry, had something caught in my throat...

I have that kit and a shitload of AM for it.  It's my own hyper-detailing project.  And yes...  I do have replacement Beulen.

Gaz

Durotuss will take care of that cough, mate...  Chemist opens up in half an hour...lol

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HubertB said:

It seems the site I could access to in 5 minutes, and enter plotting data in less than that, is not available from mainland China ...

So, could the mistakes be the fault of the Chinese government's restriction on internet access and HB's ability to research it properly?

• Like 1

Ok, back to the build...all is not bad.

for a little bit of scale comparison, the P-40 and a Fly Wessex. 

95679C36-03DF-4AB5-A0D8-ECB8C3F96A53.jpeg

CBC4D302-37B5-4A5D-82B0-19035C57AB9F.jpeg

Length is around 26”

93D1CFCC-05F0-4D07-82BC-034428536AE2.jpeg

Wingspan span is massive 42”

luckily my bench is 36” deep and 60” wide

76184B3A-2389-446B-870B-842AA970F81B.jpeg

Fit of the wing to the fuselage is excellent

FE33AFDC-0C86-4D60-B46B-EBA869A1A230.jpeg

No no problems with sagging here, incredibly strong wing spar, with positive location pegs, but if you wanted to make slip on wings, you could clip the pegs

3DAFB240-6A1E-4287-99A5-29925EBB7F23.jpeg

It appears you you could use screws to attach the upper and lower wings to the spar, but not after the lower engine cowl is glued on, the holes are covered. I am contemplating ways to make the wings removable, possibly with strong magnets.

33526AC2-22BC-4EB4-8D5D-81857D68D446.jpeg

• Like 6

Okay folks:  We now have beaten the Wing and Glazing horse pretty much to death.  We have no idea the motivation, the amount of rearch or lack there of, the intent the motive or profit tipping point of Hobby Boss to produce this kit other than to produce a 1/32nd Liberator.  I give them an A for effort and C for execution.  We can slam Hobby Boss for the errors of the kit but what It boils down to is the kit worth the money for the modeler to buy?  I for one have always liked the Liberator from the moment the "Lady Be Good" story hit "Life" Magazine back in about 1960 or so when I was a lad of about eleven.  I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Revell B-24, how disappointed I was when I saw the photo's of the "Lady Be Good" and it was a "D" not a "J", still I had my Liberator in the odd Revell box scale of 1/100 and was happy to bomb the crap out the "enemy" flying at least four feet off the deck  So here we are 58 years later with a 1/32nd "J" on our hands.  I don't care about the wing being off, albeit would that it be more representative of the Davis wing, nor am I happy with the turret glazing, but some fine sandpaper, Brasso and Future and it will be fine, the wing will be fixed as is; to me neither are show stoppers.   Maybe the AM will provide a better turret and other things, but until that time, I am going to proceed to build the model.  Anyone have the box art to the Revell "Buffalo Bill?"  Post it as that's the markngs I want to do.

This same hue and cry went up with Roden kits after Wingnut WIngs started flooding the market with their superb WWI offerings.  Roden were putting out some pretty interesting and esoteric  WWI models, but then the naysayers, rivet counters and blatherskites started bashing their models.  Roden stopped making WWI kits and I doubt they will ever do another one.  I have built several Roden WWI models and with a little "modeling' they turn out quite well.  This Hobby Boss B-24 may not be the be all end all, but it's here, it's big and when it's finished it looks like a B-24, no one would possibly mistake it for a Betty.  If anyone would criticize the model after the effort to build it, I would tell them to pound sand.  I build for the enjoyment of the hobby and I will enjoy this model.  If per chance someone comes up with a fix for the wing, share the info and let the modeler decide.  Rant mode off.

This time in life is definately the "golden" age of modeling, let's model.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, MGunns said:

Okay folks:  We now have beaten the Wing and Glazing horse pretty much to death.  We have no idea the motivation, the amount of rearch or lack there of, the intent the motive or profit tipping point of Hobby Boss to produce this kit other than to produce a 1/32nd Liberator.  I give them an A for effort and C for execution.  We can slam Hobby Boss for the errors of the kit but what It boils down to is the kit worth the money for the modeler to buy?  I for one have always liked the Liberator from the moment the "Lady Be Good" story hit "Life" Magazine back in about 1960 or so when I was a lad of about eleven.  I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Revell B-24, how disappointed I was when I saw the photo's of the "Lady Be Good" and it was a "D" not a "J", still I had my Liberator in the odd Revell box scale of 1/100 and was happy to bomb the crap out the "enemy" flying at least four feet off the deck  So here we are 58 years later with a 1/32nd "J" on our hands.  I don't care about the wing being off, albeit would that it be more representative of the Davis wing, nor am I happy with the turret glazing, but some fine sandpaper, Brasso and Future and it will be fine, the wing will be fixed as is; to me neither are show stoppers.   Maybe the AM will provide a better turret and other things, but until that time, I am going to proceed to build the model.  Anyone have the box art to the Revell "Buffalo Bill?"  Post it as that's the markngs I want to do.

This same hue and cry went up with Roden kits after Wingnut WIngs started flooding the market with their superb WWI offerings.  Roden were putting out some pretty interesting and esoteric  WWI models, but then the naysayers, rivet counters and blatherskites started bashing their models.  Roden stopped making WWI kits and I doubt they will ever do another one.  I have built several Roden WWI models and with a little "modeling' they turn out quite well.  This Hobby Boss B-24 may not be the be all end all, but it's here, it's big and when it's finished it looks like a B-24, no one would possibly mistake it for a Betty.  If anyone would criticize the model after the effort to build it, I would tell them to pound sand.  I build for the enjoyment of the hobby and I will enjoy this model.  If per chance someone comes up with a fix for the wing, share the info and let the modeler decide.  Rant mode off.

This time in life is definately the "golden" age of modeling, let's model.

Well said. If you don't like don't buy 

• Like 6

On 12/22/2018 at 5:43 AM, 1to1scale said:

I have just heard through a reliable grapevine, turrets are on the way from Eduard Brassin! Yay!

wow!

that's a completely new line of business for them

you're not pulling my leg are you?

• Like 3