The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

I must be crazy, B-24J on the bench.

Small update. Spent a lot of time doing research on the radios, oxygen systems, lighting, and wiring on the aircraft. I also started cleaning up the 16 various Oxygen bottles and 14 misc radios I ordered from Resin2Detail. Next step is to start detailing them.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2019 at 1:36 PM, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey all

Was looking on the wheel and tire chart snd found out that the B- 24's front tires where a 36"SC and that the P-38's main tires are the same 36"SC. So if you can find the Aires tire/wheel set for the P-38 you got two front tires for your B-24.

Ron G 

Outstanding!  Good Intel, thanks for sharing that.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 12:17 PM, 1to1scale said:

Picture update, some details of what I have changed.

First order of business, I did not like that the Kits wing spar was visible from the bomb bay, as well as from the rear hatches if you open up the bulkhead. I built up a new one from Evergreen, I started with the front and rear wing sections, the bottom is tapered with the dihedral, but the top is flat, as I was able to observe in pictures. 

IMG_2290.jpg

I then added various strip stocks reproduce the pattern, riveting comes later, I still have to fine tune the fit.

IMG_2306.jpg

As you can see, also visible from the front of the bomb bay. I also plan to open the front bukhead from the navigator's room, as well as the top life raft hatches.

IMG_2302.jpg

New detail visible below

IMG_2305.jpg

The spars will go all the way forward, thet may not be 100% accurate, but they are spaced to match the Hobby Boss detail. This platform behind the spar will have all the Radios mounted on a shelf, another small radio operator's table, and a chair. On the left side will be an oval tank, (i believe this was installed in Pacific Liberators for extra range). A corrugated floor was glued in after the pics were taken. Since I am adding all these details, I decided to add a few micro smd LED's to illuminate the insides. 

IMG_2301.jpg

The back bulkhead was opened up using a circle cutting tool. 

IMG_2278.jpg

I revisited the cockpit and took apart the pilot's bulkhead, I cut out the solid panels as most later bombers were open. I will be adding a plywood square behind the pilot to mount oxygen bottles on, and the co-pilot's side will just have some bracing. 

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

A very empty navigator's room, the tables will go back in, but new bracing will be scratched. Also the channels on each side of the floor will be built, a set of radios were ordered, and a mount for the liaison radio will go under the table. A new door was built for the floor, as the HB one is no where near accurate. Although if anyone has pictures of this door, I would like to see it. I have a few blurry or partial pictures, but they don't give me enough detail.   

IMG_2292.jpg

This was the door I built, but I have since questioned whether this is accurate, the back kick-up seems wrong, I need to know if it opens to one side, or folds back upon the door itself. The rear nav bulkhead appears to have removable snap in canvas cover on some, open on others, and a door on some. 

IMG_2294.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the weights you are using.  I ordered a spool from Amazon.  You are doing great work here, thanks for posting and sharing.  Highly motivating.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Great work so far!

In awe. I’m waiting to see what happens with Iain Ogilvie’s brilliant work on the wing before I start mine. I’m totally blown away by this!

Unfortunately, I have had to un-do some of my earlier work. As I got better reference material, I learned that a few of my guesses were wrong, and few were right. It is exceptionally hard to pinpoint the correct interior arrangements, as things varied between build locations. Some B-24's had the Navigator's/radio station set up on the left versus right side, some had the radio station set up behind the wing over the bomb bay, I even found one pic that showed the radio gear forward of the cockpit. Most of my new info is from one particular aircraft, B-24J-FO (Willow Run, 90% original and unrestored), although the kit seems to be a B-24J-CO (San Diego), with possibly a Ford nose section, or most likely a VERY late J built in San Diego. It would not be too hard to make this kit an earlier J bu re-locating the nose gear doors. Although, its true what they say about "consolidated mess" as its VERY hard to say anything is right or wrong on these. 

My solution is that I am making a fictional aircraft of the Jolly Rogers Pacific squadron. I am making my own nose art and using my wife's name.  

• Like 4

Totally agree with your conclusion 1to1.

Recently reading that Avro had a maintenance and repair facility just outside Lincoln. All they did was repair etc etc Lancs and then distribute them to 5 Group fields. Can you imagine how many variations of the basic Lanc were delivered back to squadrons......

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 10:44 AM, 1to1scale said:

Dennis, I have found some, unfortunately, my iPad has been down for repair for nearly a month and I can't post them. Send me your email or phone # via PM, ill either text or email them to you.

Can you just post them here in this thread so then they can be organized here and easy for anyone to find when they will be working on their kits?  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, zavod44 said:

Can you just post them here in this thread so then they can be organized here and easy for anyone to find when they will be working on their kits?  

I can when I get my iPad back, they are all stored on it. Unfortunately, its hundreds of miles away right now.

• Like 1

Hey 1to1 

I thought you might be interested in this. I just got my Brassin B-17 wheels in the mail these I plan to use along with the Aires P-38 tire/wheel on the HB Liberator.  I trimmed em up and here is a comparison to the kit parts.

Front wheel front side

kit parts on top Aires on the bottom.

20190202_140204.jpg

front wheel rear side

kit parts on top Aires on the bottom.20190202_140240.jpg

The kit front tires measure 37." in dia. And 12" wide. The Aires tires measure 32" in dia. And 12" wide. The real planes tires where SC36's - 36.15" dia. And 12.47" wide.

Main wheels front side

Brassin on the left kit on the right.

20190202_140310.jpg

Main wheels rear side

Brassin on the left kit on the right.

20190202_140134.jpg

The kit main tires measure 59" in dia. And 18" wide. The Brassin tires measure 53" in dia. And 17" wide. The real planes tires where SC56's - 56.56" dia. And 20.44" wide.

Just some information for your data banks

Ron G 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hey 1to1 

Any updates to your build? Here are some pictures of what I did to my front wheel setup.

Backside of front wheel real thing.

24_B-24_Nose_Wheel_left.jpg

Temporary setup of front assy.20190216_160318.jpg

Other sde20190216_160244.jpg

This is the Aires P-38 wheel/tire that I used my Fordom tool on to grind away the brake drum. This is the rear side.

20190216_161343.jpg

This is the front side.20190216_161319.jpg

• Like 2