The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Taking a close look at the SOD

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

You never know what memorials to wasted time you might find. 

For example, this long stalled F-100D. There’s probably 200 hrs invested in this thing with loads of AM, and it ain’t even close yet...  I’m not even a real fan of the Hun, why on earth do we start stuff we don’t really like?

E99ACF2B-6593-4C56-B360-6EEBF87553F5.jpeg

897799FD-EBAB-4319-8788-DCC7D8A4E058.jpeg

00AD875A-8091-4437-8156-C3D064985326.jpeg

• Like 4

I keep moving my Wingnut Fokker closer to the workbench, I am 90% done, but just can’t seem to motivate myself to finish it.  I understand what you are saying, it’s hard to finish something you have no passion for. The P-40’s are slowly progressing, all 8 of them, and just one day before I got the B-24, I started work on the Fly Wessex, but the big draw right now is the B-24.

• Like 2

Ern,

I'm generally a Luftwaffe guy...

But the 100 series makes me feel the need....

The need for ..................................FOIL!

f-100-super-sabre-56-3386-353d-tfs-over-

Photo for discussion and Ernie's motivation only.

Gaz

• Like 6

For me, it's hard to tell where the SOD ends and the stash begins. I used to have the really bad habit of starring whatever was the latest purchase but only going so far before putting back into the box and going on to the next new release. So there's lots of kits with bits stuck together but nowhere near completion.  The oldest was probably the Caterham I finally finished this year. 

At the moment, my work space looks like a hooby shop exploded with open kits everywhere. At least I'm working on most of them.

Carl

• Like 5

• Administrators

Gaz, you hit the. Nail on the head.   I discussed this with Smitty awhile ago, and the big problem doesn’t seem to be the F-100, but instead the SEA camo. I’ve never seen one that I thought looks good. To me even the real birds just don’t do it for me. I’ve got a full meal deal Thud 2 seater in my stash with two complete GT Super Sets, one for an F, one for a G, all the special Weasel missiles, brass gear, wheels, Eduard, decals, you name it, and zero motivation for a camo Bird.  

But the F set was bought with the possibility that I’d find a NMF 2 seater Weasel I liked, but alas, I think they’re rare as a lobster on a bicycle. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

when I feel the need for speed ...

It’s AK Metallics: just love the stuff

Peter

Peter, you have a great talent for metallic paints.  Whereas I have a great ability to make expensive metallic paints look like grainy gray paint.  I envy you, yet still love sculpting foil.

6 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Don’t try to convert him, I love his foil jobs. I only hope GAZ graces us with a tutorial on how he does foil someday. 

I ruined a Monogram P-38 with silver Pactra or Testors paint when I was a kid.  On that day I decided I'd never try to paint NMF again.  Then...  I discovered foil.

5 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Gaz, you hit the. Nail on the head.   I discussed this with Smitty awhile ago, and the big problem doesn’t seem to be the F-100, but instead the SEA camo. I’ve never seen one that I thought looks good. To me even the real birds just don’t do it for me. I’ve got a full meal deal Thud 2 seater in my stash with two complete GT Super Sets, one for an F, one for a G, all the special Weasel missiles, brass gear, wheels, Eduard, decals, you name it, and zero motivation for a camo Bird.  

But the F set was bought with the possibility that I’d find a NMF 2 seater Weasel I liked, but alas, I think they’re rare as a lobster on a bicycle. 

Despite my Luftweenie-ness, this kit has pride-of-place at my house.  I walk by it many times every day and gaze at it lovingly as I pass.  Camo just can't compare for eye-catchy-ness...

160723.jpg

5 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

For me, it's hard to tell where the SOD ends and the stash begins. I used to have the really bad habit of starring whatever was the latest purchase but only going so far before putting back into the box and going on to the next new release. So there's lots of kits with bits stuck together but nowhere near completion.  The oldest was probably the Caterham I finally finished this year. 

At the moment, my work space looks like a hooby shop exploded with open kits everywhere. At least I'm working on most of them.

Carl

Ooh, that would be a bad habit to be in.  But I seem to know many modellers who start and never finish.  Maybe someone needs to create a support group.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Gaz

• Like 4

Guest DannyVM

To be honest, at the moment i have none. That said, i have multiple kit's i started but i don't count them as SOD kit. I just work my way trough them, and they keep my interest going. 

I need to say i had a period of a few months that i was more busy with my helmet collection then my modelling hobby, but after my last purchase (RAF Mk.4 helmet) my interest was going back where my heart was left......indeed, the modeling table. This afternoon i pulled my WNW Fe.2b back from the stash to work further on this piece of art that flew during W.W.1. The Lightning went back to it's resting place, just until my interest is triggered back to crack this beast back from the stash.

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Ooh, that would be a bad habit to be in.  But I seem to know many modellers who start and never finish.  Maybe someone needs to create a support group.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Gaz

It definitely was a tough one to break. I always have the intention to finish them so I don't think of them as completely abandoned. I've managed to get through  a couple of them this year and have a couple more on the bench with that goal in mind. It has to have a truly catastrophic error or damage for me to give up and truly bin it. 

Carl

• Like 3

I agree with Danny and Carl, I have never abandoned a project, just get to a stage where it needs last items added then spraying and decals applied, that’s when I stall.......or a squirrel scampers past.........

having a real session to get the following finished and ready for the spray booth.

1. M3A4E8
  2. Panzer III G
  3. Male IV
  4. Fw190 D9 - 48th
  5. Marder III H
  6. Matilda
  7. Tamiya Birdcage - 32nd
  8. SH  Tempest V - 32nd
  9. LRDG Chevy
  10. Sherman M4 DV

That’s  about all bar 1\350 Tamiya King George V..........

• Like 3

• Administrators

My problem with buying kits is that along with WW1 models, we are seriously in the Golden Age of Large Scale Multi Engine Bombers and Transports, and those are my first love. And of course they go out of production quick, so if you want one you gotta grab while the grabbing's good.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Gaz, did the Luftwaffe ever use NMF Sabres or Starfighters?

Or were they all camo?

I'll only do one Sabre. A glorious Golden Hawks version, all shined up for the airshow season. Gimme sugar scoops baby!  Even the most hardened F-86 must have his heart thawed a bit by the sight of that team in flight.

• Like 2

Ernie,

TBH I never knew the answer to your question myseklf, so I did a little googling to find the images and link below.   I had to look to find the first four images at the Ubisoft forums.  I can't verify the profiles with photos.

DC111_683-2088_L_JBG-33_june_1963_1250_3

DC245_JBG-33_june_1963_1250.jpg

Bundesarchiv_B_145_Bild-F027437-0003,_Fl

Bundesarchiv_B_145_Bild-F027433-0012,_Fl

This link is on a FLICKR site.  A museum bird :

20+37   Lockheed F-104G Starfighter [683-2044] (Ex German Air Force / Luftwaffenmuseum) Berlin-Gatow~D 15/05/2004 20+37, Lockheed F-104G Starfighter, (2044), Luftwaffe,  Uetersen - Luftwaffe Museum, (EDHE), 25/04/1991

Here is the FLICKR link:  https://www.flickr.com/groups/f-104_starfighter_german_luftwaffe_marine/pool/page1

I found the 2 images immediately above on page two...  there are a lot more pages.

For the F-86 I found this one built by Hubert.  But haven't seen any real pics to document it.

sabremk6ho_5.jpg

Hope you find it motivating!

Gaz

• Like 2