The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Trumpeter P-40F

JohnB

I just received this kit from Free Time Hobbies and I have to say I am favorably impressed. The first thing I noticed was the very nice rivet details. Lots better than their fairly heavy rivets on the P-47D-11. The only "fly in the ointment", as far as I see so far, is the rubber wheels. Resin replacements will be required (at least for my build(s). The cockpit looks alright but not "great". I hope and expect the after-market guys will have some nice resin parts and decals to enhance this baby. As this is a "short-tail F" I'd guess a "long-tail" will follow at some point. I look forward to getting started on this one! Merry Christmas to me! LOL :)

• Like 5

I guess I'll just have to get a copy of the the Kagero Top Drawings for the P-40 variants. I hope there will be some good info there as to shape etc. :)

I have some reservations as to the size and shape of the exhaust cut out. It looks a bit over size and isn't at a slight angle.

• Like 2

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything, but there is more, the overall bulginess of the kit, seems like they based the molds on the E version rather then F.  I believe you build one F already John, do you mind to compare the resin from Derek with the plastic from Trumpeter ?

Thank You in advance

Martin

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything, but there is more, the overall bulginess of the kit, seems like they based the molds on the E version rather then F.  I believe you build one F already John, do you mind to compare the resin from Derek with the plastic from Trumpeter ?

Thank You in advance

Martin

Yes, I've built two of Derek's conversions. I'll take some comparison pix plus post a shot of what is shown in the Kagero book when it arrives (Thursday Amazon says). Just for now here are a couple of shots of my builds.

7.jpg

P-40F 005.jpg

3-16 001.jpg

• Like 2

• Members

The A/M companies have not been real big on supporting correction sets for Trumpeter. this one may be another example, I plan on getting this one, maybe add some thin plastic strips to close up the exhaust outlets a bit and sand the nose a to remove as much curvature a possible?

How much difference between the E & F cockpit?  Maybe adapt the E set for the Hasegawa kit to this one?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mikester said:

The A/M companies have not been real big on supporting correction sets for Trumpeter. this one may be another example, I plan on getting this one, maybe add some thin plastic strips to close up the exhaust outlets a bit and sand the nose a to remove as much curvature a possible?

How much difference between the E & F cockpit?  Maybe adapt the E set for the Hasegawa kit to this one?

Sad but true. I'll probably do that also on the exhaust cutouts. I don't really see a way to add the slight "angle" though. Not that big of a problem though. As for the cockpit, a resin replacement, even if it's for a "E" (which is what I used for my 2 "F" Grey Matter conversions) is better than the kit supplied cockpit.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

I wonder why, seems a little bizarre. Remember when the SH Tempest was dissected for apparently for having anomaly’s someone soon produced a fix....

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 2

Hmmmm. That might work. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Did some comparing and I think some surgery to replace that area on the nose and graft on some Hasegawa parts just might solve that problem. Good idea!!! :)

12-24-18 002.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1to1scale said:

John, have run a straight edge across the top, there is enough plastic thickness to sand flat the bow on the top cowl, if you feel the need to correct it.

Thanks. I do plan to do that. :)

• Like 4

• Members

This is why I love this place!  People coming up with solutions instead of declaring a kit "un-buildable" and then going on a five paragraph tirade about why no one should buy it.  I've got a feeling John will turn this one into a beauty.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mikester said:

This is why I love this place!  People coming up with solutions instead of declaring a kit "un-buildable" and then going on a five paragraph tirade about why no one should buy it.  I've got a feeling John will turn this one into a beauty.

Agreed Mike.

Well, we shall see. I have plans for this one. LOL :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mikester said:

John is the man who gets things happened, he doesn't whine about how difficult and deep are the shortcomings of the kit, he simply fixes them as they rise. Great problem solving John.

• Like 3