The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Sea Fury VX-730, 805Sqn RAN HMAS Sydney Korea 1951

This is my first posting here, though some may know me from the Britmodeller site which I seem to live on. :D I'm starting to move more and more into the larger scales but I'm still predominantly 1/48th. I'm a huge fan of resin models and will normally build one of them over a plastic model....I really do need to have my head read!

I'll pop a couple of recent builds up and I'll try to start a build thread for the next big beast I build.  

Well this was built for the Hawker (Siddeley) GB on the Britmodeller site. The model is Fisher Model & Pattern's 1/32nd resin Sea Fury. I was very lucky to win this one on my favourite website for a ridiculously cheap price as normally they're quite frightening price wish. There was an option in the schemes for an all-over blue RAN aircraft but I wanted to do one in the earlier colour scheme, lucky enough Novascale do a nice set of decals for this aircraft, but in the end I decided to paint all the major markings other than the serial numbers. She does look much better for it. The only other options were replacement tyres, as these aircraft had the diamond pattern tread version and some brass gun barrels and pitot tube.

The model was a real pleasure to build with no real issues at all. The only real issue I had was my own doing as I wanted to have the wings folded, the model comes with this option. Not a good idea as the outer wings are really quite heavy resin hinges are very fragile. I ended up making a pair of wing locks as per the those used on the real aircraft, they've helped strengthen the wings, but I'm too scared to turn her upside down in case they fall off.

Other that that she was a real pleasure to build and I enjoyed every minute of the build.

Hopefully you enjoy the photos

Fisher Model & Pattern Hawker Sea Fury FB.11

Paint: Mr Hobby (main), Tamiya, Model Master Metalizer Lacquers

Decals: Nova Scale Sea Fury

Extras: 

Master Model: Gun Barrels & Pitot Probe set

Fisher Model & Pattern: Diamond Pattern Tyres

IMG_1295-XL.jpg

IMG_1296-XL.jpg

IMG_1297-XL.jpg

IMG_1298-XL.jpg

IMG_1301-XL.jpg

IMG_1303-XL.jpg

IMG_1306-XL.jpg

IMG_1307-XL.jpg

IMG_1287-L.jpg

IMG_1288-L.jpg

• Like 17

thanks everyone

12 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Exquisite build and finish, welcome to LSM, we have in our midst another master builder..........looking forward to seeing more eye candy.........

haha :D , I wouldn't quite say Master builder, I struggle with build like most of us and have a rather large "shelf of doom", but I'm glad you liked model, it's probably the best I've done so far.

I can promise too many new builds as I have a huge stash of 1/48th to get through, but I'm starting to build quite a few AFV's now, think I'm building 7 next year.

But I'm hoping to start at least one of the beasts in the stash this coming year, though all but one are full resin models!

the stash all 1/32nd...

Fisher Model & Pattern - RB-51 Reno Unlimited Racer - sort of started 4 years ago!

Fisher Model & Pattern - F9F-5 Panther

Model Design & Construction (MDC) - Ki-61-I Hien (have 2 of these)

Model Design & Construction (MDC) - Hawker Typhoon Mk.1b

Roden - Cessna O-2A Skymaster (plastic)

plus who knows what I'll find on evilBay! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Here on LSM scale is not an issue.......48th and below goes under Non LSM Builds and everything else is LSM builds..........so everyone gets to show their work......

oh ok, I hadn't found that section yet, I may drop my Tamiya Bombcat (F-14D) in it once she's done.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Rich, that Fury is stunning. I have one in a semi stalled state with the same issue as yours: what to do with strengthening the wing fold.

Do you have any reference materiel on the wing locks? I thought there was also a removable locking bar from the wing to the fuselage?

• Like 2

thanks.

The wing fold......its hanging on with a wing and a prayer!!! If I was to do this model again (and I would really love to) or the wings were to break badly (a real possibility), I'd replace the hingers with brass versions. I have it all planned out, basically I'd groove the wings inline with the hung and hit brass flat rod with a hinge cut into the end. This would allow me to fit a pin to hold the outer section and give it real strength. To groove, fit flat rod and fill/finish sounds frightening but is quite simple.

I can't remember where I found the reference for the wing locks, I have a couple of books on them, but I think I just trolled the net for pictures. I'll have a dig around to see what I can find for you. It maybe a bit slow as I'm heading off to work tomorrow and will be away for 2 weeks and internet is a wee bit slow where I am (in the top end of Oz, 150mls east of Darwin). But will have my library with me so will have a look.

I really don't remember seeing a wing bar fitted, again I'll have to recheck my stuff.

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/seafury.htm

This is a good site for RAN Sea Fury's plus has some interesting stuff as well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Rich, that Fury is stunning. I have one in a semi stalled state with the same issue as yours: what to do with strengthening the wing fold.

Do you have any reference materiel on the wing locks? I thought there was also a removable locking bar from the wing to the fuselage?

... And this is the very reason why I bought my Sea Fury without the folding wings (that and the fact that an aircraft is always more beautiful with its wings spread, IMHO)

Hubert

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, HubertB said:

... And this is the very reason why I bought my Sea Fury without the folding wings (that and the fact that an aircraft is always more beautiful with its wings spread, IMHO)

Hubert

are but what's life without a challenge!  :D

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, HubertB said:

Hubert

They most definitely are, my friend, but I’ve always had visions of them sitting chained down on the deck of the Magnificent, engines idling, wings folded up like rheumatic turkeys, waiting for their moment to launch.

I doubt even bent brass PE wing hinges would be strong enough to hold the wings fast for long periods of handling, you’d need bronze extrusions like G-Factor makes. 

No matter, this is one beautiful model of one of the most beautiful piston engine fighters ever to fly. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...