The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Lancaster build and improvements

It's time for me to stop whinging about whats missing on the HK kit and start to add what's missing instead.

The missing pockets down the side of the raised Skippers floor has always bugged me. So I made some. They are basically made of 10 thou plastic card, sanded square and, in this pic, held on with Blu tack.

Next will be the trim "wheels" sitting in front of and above the trim whel next to the Skippers seat. I'm currently searching for images of what should be under the raised area. In the kit is a solid wall visible at the rear of the bomb aimers area. This surely isn't correct? I'm looking for images taken from the bomb aimers area looking back.

I am also wondering what this kit is.. The box says Mk1, but I'm becoming more cpnvinced this kit ios a Mk.X

1-32 cockpit mods.jpg

1-32 cockpit mods1.jpg

• Like 10

Nice topic, IIRC the pilot's floor was on a sort of warren truss structure, and not a solid wall. But pics should solve that problem.

Mind you LSM provided technical assistance to HK Models regarding the exterior only.

Cheers

Cees

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wingco57 said:

Nice topic, IIRC the pilot's floor was on a sort of warren truss structure, and not a solid wall. But pics should solve that problem.

Mind you LSM provided technical assistance to HK Models regarding the exterior only.

Cheers

Cees

Hi Cees..

I'm struggling to find any images of the under seat area, but I'm sure the kit is simplified, as one would expect on a production kit. After all, this area is practically invisible on the finished model.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Robert, interesting comparison. You can also see the problems a manufacturer faces if everything is to be made as the real thing. The pedestal has a slight indentation which enables it to fit next to the pilot seat mounting.  The brake leaver at the front needs to have the loop opened up. We have such a thing at the museum and it is really small, so in scale it would be tiny. Perhaps one made from wire would be an option.

Cees

• Like 4

Eduard has a photo-etch set upcoming for the HK Lancaster cockpit. Interested to see what they improve on and what missing details they bring to the table. Additional scratch building/conversion seems inevitable, but curious to see what their set improves right out of the package. Window masks are on their way, too!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

• Like 3

Just thought I'd stick a couple of pics of my cockpit mods in my thread . I posted them on the tweaks and tips page, but those just looking for WIP pics won't see them in there.

So here goes..

Stock plastic..

1249905430_Seat1.thumb.jpg.678db38c7817b41c2ff28f6684774348.jpg

1903099394_Seat4.thumb.jpg.636c6669aa761d8116f10891f26ab0b3.jpg

As I mentioned previously I thought the seat was too high, too long and too far back. The Throttle bulge and support for the IP was too small and straight and the platform was too long, too high and too wide. There is also some error around the design of the area of floor and platform around the pilots feet. So....

I did this...

IMG_4519.thumb.JPG.02e041d695c80c87eca3e311cd7bccea.JPG

IMG_4520.thumb.JPG.f668722040d8fd96d30debef727cb37d.JPG

IMG_4521.thumb.JPG.7ab7ef5badd89120456fc9002a2fb7dd.JPG

The closer you look, the more you'll see modified. The IP will be replaced with the beautiful Airscale PE, which is why, if you look closely you'll see the slots cut in the throttle "bulge".  There's a long way to go yet.. all this is from restoration sites online and my reference books.

Thanks for looking

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hello Nige

I'm definitely not trying to be picky, but why is the raised floor that the seat is sitting on so thick? Just curious so I can get mine correct.

Ron G 

From the pictures I've seen it looks like the raised floor was an aluminium fabrictaed box, with internal stiffeners. The side gets covered in anyway, but the front and rear are visible.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Astounding work being performed here.    

LSM is the place to be for Lanc stuff, no doubt.  We have some incredible builds spinning up, and there's a bunch of us over on this side of the pond getting ready for our builds as well.  

As a large Scale Model builder, and avowed love of the heavies, I've never been happier. 

Ju-88s, He-111s, B-17 x2, B-25s, a plethora of Mosquito variants, a B-24, soon to be two, and now a Lanc. Seriously guys, 10 years ago who'd have ever thought this day would come? And we're expecting HPH to bring us an SM-79, HGW is bringing us an A-20, we have a C-47, Gotha G.lV, Felixstowe, and soon to be released Bloody Paralyzer.

It doesn't get any better than this, folks!  I'm a very, very happy man right now. And plenty lighter in the billfold as well.

• Like 3