The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Lancaster build and improvements

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Astounding work being performed here.    

LSM is the place to be for Lanc stuff, no doubt.  We have some incredible builds spinning up, and there's a bunch of us over on this side of the pond getting ready for our builds as well.  

As a large Scale Model builder, and avowed love of the heavies, I've never been happier. 

Ju-88s, He-111s, B-17 x2, B-25s, a plethora of Mosquito variants, a B-24, soon to be two, and now a Lanc. Seriously guys, 10 years ago who'd have ever thought this day would come? And we're expecting HPH to bring us an SM-79, HGW is bringing us an A-20, we have a C-47, Gotha G.lV, Felixstowe, and soon to be released Bloody Paralyzer.

It doesn't get any better than this, folks!  I'm a very, very happy man right now. And plenty lighter in the billfold as well.

Did all the moths fly away...lol:piliot::notworthy:

On 1/26/2019 at 10:19 AM, NigelR32 said:

From the pictures I've seen it looks like the raised floor was an aluminium fabrictaed box, with internal stiffeners. The side gets covered in anyway, but the front and rear are visible.

seems ok from where I sit :)

32CB648E00000578-0-image-a-45_1459678370709.jpg.59e79558f7c31c1d0855b402160863b5.jpglancaster-bomber-cockpit-panoramic-image

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

seems ok from where I sit :)

32CB648E00000578-0-image-a-45_1459678370709.jpg.59e79558f7c31c1d0855b402160863b5.jpglancaster-bomber-cockpit-panoramic-image

Interesting pics thank you Martin.

You've raised another question in my head now though.. look at the navigators table. In the top pic it looks like a well battered wooden fabrication, in the bottom pic it looks like it's aluminium with a flange to stop things rolling off.

AFAIK, we have always depicted the table as wood, but somehow the aluminium seems more logical.. lighter and that lip, well, it must have been required surely?

• Like 2

Hi Nige,

I looked at a stack of photos of this over the past few weeks, they appear to show a couple of differences but in the majority of war photos to my eyes it shows as wooden construction painted to match in interior colour green or black. I couldn't find any with that lip in the picture above, I wonder if the table in the picture is missing the wooden top that sits in the lipped area ??  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, npb748r said:

Hi Nige,

I looked at a stack of photos of this over the past few weeks, they appear to show a couple of differences but in the majority of war photos to my eyes it shows as wooden construction painted to match in interior colour green or black. I couldn't find any with that lip in the picture above, I wonder if the table in the picture is missing the wooden top that sits in the lipped area ??  

?????? These pics pop up every now and again.. just to get us looking at every other bloody picture we know of showing this area.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Nige, regarding the different tables, maybe it’s the dreaded Mk.X vs Mk.l/lll thing again? 

I think we all know now that we can’t take late model Mk.X examples and assume they’re the same as earlier British built examples. As you had brought up before, you can’t trust the restorations and Canadian pictures to give an accurate example.

• Like 3

I agree, better to check wartime period photo's. I remember seeing some AVRO drawings that showed the table to be of wooden construction. The Mk X (Canadian) differed in many details, the table being probable one of them.

Cees

• Like 4

Dont forget that the MK.X had a different flight-engineers panel.

AS its clearly seen through the cockpit this would need changing ????

Its clearly displayed in the Pilots & Flight Engineers Notes publication

David

• Like 4

Still plugging away at the cockpit, in between other projects..

88787706_Cockpitseat.thumb.jpg.2202963f33ef3371e2140c24c4418978.jpg

Note the hydraulic lines on the fuselage wall, with their floating fittings for two more lengths of copper to go into. 

1483754003_cockpitseat1.thumb.jpg.20c5aa77c463a4092c39efad8d60c883.jpg

The trim wheel on the top is made from bent PE and solder. The front wheel is made from scrap plastic bits. It's a little too big I think, but it's better than nothing!! In front of this wheel is the drilled out and twisted kit part for the flap operation. In front of that lever will be another vertical pull handle which is the manual Upkeep bomb release. Apparently a young lady managed to pull this lever on a parked and loaded aircraft back in 1943. The bomb dropped onto the ground and everyone around ran for their lives!!

1035057328_cockpitseat2.thumb.jpg.c063ca81b76d96dfe5bb3f740795dfaf.jpg

Some say the trim wheel is too large on the kit.. I'm not so sure.. at the bottom is a smaller one I scratch built and I don't think it's big enough??

Thanks for looking.. next time I should have the IP and levers done?

• Like 9

4 hours ago, robertmro said:

Hi Nige,

Can I post my digital model progress here?

Robert

Hi Robert,

I would rather you posted your progress in your own thread or perhaps in the Lancaster Tweaks and Tips thread. It is not normal practice to post your work in someone elses build thread.

I'm sure if you started your own thread on your digital work concerning the Lanc cockpit it would get a lot of interest.

• Like 5

On 2/4/2019 at 9:30 AM, NigelR32 said:

Still plugging away at the cockpit, in between other proje

Note the hydraulic lines on the fuselage wall, with their floating fittings for two more lengths of copper to go into. 

1483754003_cockpitseat1.thumb.jpg.20c5aa77c463a4092c39efad8d60c883.jpg

The trim wheel on the top is made from bent PE and solder. The front wheel is made from scrap plastic bits. It's a little too big I think, but it's better than nothing!! In front of this wheel is the drilled out and twisted kit part for the flap operation. In front of that lever will be another vertical pull handle which is the manual Upkeep bomb release. Apparently a young lady managed to pull this lever on a parked and loaded aircraft back in 1943. The bomb dropped onto the ground and everyone around ran for their lives!!

1035057328_cockpitseat2.thumb.jpg.c063ca81b76d96dfe5bb3f740795dfaf.jpg

Some say the trim wheel is too large on the kit.. I'm not so sure.. at the bottom is a smaller one I scratch built and I don't think it's big enough??

Thanks for looking.. next time I should have the IP and levers done?

Hi Nige,

The kit trim wheel is too lager but the difference isn't that much. My calculation is that the scale diameter is approximately 7.8mm.

The number of bumps around the edge (20) is correct on the kit wheel.

Robert

• Like 2

On 2/10/2019 at 9:11 PM, robertmro said:

Hi Nige,

The kit trim wheel is too lager but the difference isn't that much. My calculation is that the scale diameter is approximately 7.8mm.

The number of bumps around the edge (20) is correct on the kit wheel.

Robert

Thanks Robert,

That sounds about right to me.. maybe I'll wait for the WNW kit and take a mould off that one?

• Like 1

After a prompt from yknu over on the Tweaks and tips thread I decided to get my wing surfaces corrected. Doing them now gives plenty of time to let them cure.

wings.thumb.jpg.4bb588cacdd13c5c172faaab7dba9bd6.jpg

I've put a video on my channel if you want to see moving pictures.. 

As for the correct landing lights, I plan on drilling them out and fitting some clear lenses or those AM headlights you can get from places like little-cars.co.uk The kit scribings depict lights of around 5.75mm diameter.

I'm surprised and dissapointed that the kit doesnt have clear lenses for the lights, even the 1/72 kits have lenses and bowls the Airfix kit even offers the option of having the lights down with a little modifying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NigelR32 said:

After a prompt from yknu over on the Tweaks and tips thread I decided to get my wing surfaces corrected. Doing them now gives plenty of time to let them cure.

wings.thumb.jpg.4bb588cacdd13c5c172faaab7dba9bd6.jpg

As for the correct landing lights, I plan on drilling them out and fitting some clear lenses or those AM headlights you can get from places like little-cars.co.uk The kit scribings depict lights of around 5.75mm diameter.

I'm surprised and dissapointed that the kit doesnt have clear lenses for the lights, even the 1/72 kits have lenses and bowls the Airfix kit even offers the option of having the lights down with a little modifying.

Nige, might you be looking for something like these?

http://www.brengun.cz/e-shop/1-32-accessories-31/british-landing-lights-1007#!prettyPhoto

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NigelR32 said:

I dont think so? I'm not sure the Lanc had the "Y" over the glass??? Thanks for the link though..

Those pieces that you speak of fit under the glass; they are a support for the bulb and fit between the glass and the reflector.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill_S said:

Those pieces that you speak of fit under the glass; they are a support for the bulb and fit between the glass and the reflector.

Oh,OK.. Thanks Bill. I'll look into them. I'll need to try and find out how big they are though, the last time I used Brengun was on a 1/72 Valkyrie. The landing gear bay parts were like they were designed for a completely different model!!

• Like 1