The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Dragon Bf 110 C-7

9 hours ago, Drifter said:

UV Clear? Works well. 

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Carl

IP looks great and thank you for the tip of using ACC Gel. I’ve been using Gallery Glass for years but the results were always nearly the same as Future

Kerp ‘em Comin

Peter

It's not actually CA superglue. Here's what I used:

IMG_20190110_094051-L.jpg

They use it primarily for giving the eyes on dolls and figures that glossy look. But it works well for replicating glass. You use a toothpick to apply it where you want and then shine the included UV light on it to harden. 

Something very similar is Bondic UV which I've used for the same purpose. This is also probably easier to find outside of Japan.

IMG_20190110_094117-L.jpg

IMG_20190110_094126-L.jpg

It's a little thicker but otherwise it works the same way. I've even used it to make those small formation lights on wing tops and tailplanes. 

• Like 2

On 1/11/2019 at 11:20 PM, harv said:

Looks like it closed up very well !.....harv :popcorn:

It did indeed. I was pleasantly surprised.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:19 AM, Grunhertz said:

Nice I can see me getting one of these in a Revell box this year. 

I think it'll be worth it. 

On 1/12/2019 at 4:26 AM, GazzaS said:

Looking sweet!  Must have been great fun to swap around those MG FF drums in flight.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz! Yea, I would not want that job. Plus manning the radio at the same time. 

• Like 1

With the fuselage closed up, I went back to the MLG bays and gear legs. At this point I noticed that I'd painted them the wrong colour. So out came the RLM02.

IMG_20190113_000337-L.jpg

Much better. 

Then I installed the gear bays into the lower wings. After scrapping off paint on the gluing surfaces the fit was fine. Test fitting the upper wing, I had a slight fit issue with one side. I solved by scraping away some plastic from inside the nacelle. 

IMG_20190113_125713-L.jpg

Then the wing halves were glued together.

IMG_20190113_134925-L.jpg

• Like 2

Back to the fuselage, I glued on the wing spar.

IMG_20190113_143308-L.jpg

At this point I did a test fitting of the nose cone and noticed a slight step between it and the fuselage. I was going to leave it and then sand it down after but when I fitted the lower wing centre section and noticed the same step u decided to widen the fuselage slightly. There's a small insert panel on the bottom so I added a plastic shim on either side. 

IMG_20190113_143326-L.jpg

This gave me the width needed to eliminate the step. As no one else has run into this issue, it may be operator error.

I did find another mistake in the instructions though.  In step 10 you're supposed to assemble the tailplanes and tailwheel as a subassembly before attaching it to the fuselage.

IMG_20190113_145107-L.jpg

If you install the tailwheel, you won't be able to attach the tailplanes. The tailwheel mount is on the rear of the fuselage and since the tailplane is designed to slide on, the tailwheel has to go on after. 

IMG_20190113_145121-L.jpg

IMG_20190113_145138-L.jpg

So I'll be assembling everything but the tailwheel.

• Like 2

I'm glad you test fitted before you modified.   Otherwise you'd have needed two modifications.  NIce job!

I've got the smaller scale Dacklebaucbh which I'm gonna convert to a D2...Really hate the D-bauch idea.  I wonder how similar the construction of mine will be.\

Gaz

• Like 1

Beautiful, clean and interesting build. I love this aircraft, and have had this in my stash for years.

I bought the American resin set for it to convert it to a nightfighter.. oh dear, what a mess!! I think I reviewed it here or on the other site many years ago.

I wasn't aware Revell were gonna rebox it.. I hope they do an accurate nightfighter.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I'm glad you test fitted before you modified.   Otherwise you'd have needed two modifications.  NIce job!

I've got the smaller scale Dacklebaucbh which I'm gonna convert to a D2...Really hate the D-bauch idea.  I wonder how similar the construction of mine will be.\

Gaz

Gaz , witch kit do you have ?......harv

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Gaz

Looking at the instructions for the D night fighter I found online, it looks like they fixed a couple of the errors but have made new ones! 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/image/10132823

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NigelR32 said:

Beautiful, clean and interesting build. I love this aircraft, and have had this in my stash for years.

I bought the American resin set for it to convert it to a nightfighter.. oh dear, what a mess!! I think I reviewed it here or on the other site many years ago.

I wasn't aware Revell were gonna rebox it.. I hope they do an accurate nightfighter.

Thanks Nigel! I haven't seen the conversion set you're referring to but I've also heard it's quite the mess. And that was if you were lucky enough to actually get your order. 

Revell is reboxing this version of the kit so I don't know if they'll end up doing a night fighter release later. 

• Like 1

My boys have usurped my workbench from me so it'll be a bit later this week before I get some bench time.

i-4JRJ8rN-L.jpg

The little guy is building an Airfix Gnat and his brother is building some ship shaped blob of plastic. Sadly it's not a great kit but he is absolutely persevering with it.

Carl

• Like 7

Here's what they're working on. This is supposed to be Jeanne d'Arc heli csrrier

IMG_20190114_221135-L.jpg

Findlay wants to build more ship models so I'm going to have to find something better quality for him. I'm still shocked at how small some of the parts are and then the size of the sprue gates holding them on. 

Edward is.further along with his Folland Gnat.

IMG_20190114_221140-L.jpg

The paint scheme is his choosing.

I have to say I'm really impressed with how well both of them have done on their first glue kits. I don't think I could've done as well at 5 1/2 (Edward's age) much less Findlay who's 8 in 2 weeks. I'm going to have to keep an eye on my stash from now on....

Anyways, I think I'll be able to get back my bench tomorrow.

Carl

• Like 8

I got my bench back tonight and got back to work with some paint flying. 

IMG_20190116_234959-L.jpg

Whoop, looks like I painted the wrong plane  :lol:

Here we go:

IMG_20190115_211959-L.jpg

IMG_20190117_001241-L.jpg

This is using the new AK Real Colors RLM65.

IMG_20190117_001330-L.jpg

So far, I have to say I like the way it sprays. It's very similar to Gunze  Mr Color in that regard. Unlike their armour colours, it also has a satin finish to it. 

Carl

• Like 4