The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Dragon Bf 110 C-7

Carl

First and more most: Nothing better then sharing the hobby and the bench with your boys - a whole new level of of fun and enjoyment to do together! :)

Thank you for the information on UV Gel Clear - really interesting and I'll need to give it a try

As always, beautiful work - the front office and fuselage assemblies looks perfect plus catching the mistake in the instructions. I'm always amazed how in this an age,  mistakes like these keep creeping into kits - maybe a bit more needs to be spent on QC. :rtfm:

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

On 1/20/2019 at 8:02 AM, Peterpools said:

Carl

First and more most: Nothing better then sharing the hobby and the bench with your boys - a whole new level of of fun and enjoyment to do together! :)

Thank you for the information on UV Gel Clear - really interesting and I'll need to give it a try

As always, beautiful work - the front office and fuselage assemblies looks perfect plus catching the mistake in the instructions. I'm always amazed how in this an age,  mistakes like these keep creeping into kits - maybe a bit more needs to be spent on QC. :rtfm:

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Peter, 

You're welcome as always. Having picked up so many different tips and techniques myself from various forums, it's only right to share what I've learned. 

As for the boys, it's been fun working with them on their builds. They've already raided my stash for almost 1/2 dozen kits I'd probably never get around to so that's a good thing. They've gotten ahold of a pair of 1/72 F-4s, a Godzilla, space shuttle, and a Cute Yamato battleship. My wife even lives that they're doing this as it keeps them from watching the television.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 10:02 AM, Mikester said:

Really love this build, Carl!

Thanks Mike! I kept putting it off hearing how bad the instructions were, thinking that translated to the kit as well. Thankfully that's not the case.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:41 PM, Bomber_County said:

Stunning Carl, never built a 110, I’ll keep an eye out for the re-box. Wish I had as much benchtime, it’s Sunday evening here and total benchtime this weekend, 15 minutes..........

I've been there so I know how you feel.  Hopefully you'll get the time soon. 

• Like 1

I finished painting the lower wings. Here they are slid onto the wing spar. 

IMG_20190121_230626-L.jpg

There's no glue holding things together, just gravity. The fit is nice and clean. I think the paint colour is ok too.  The new AK paint covers very nicely too. Nice and smooth. 

Carl

• Like 5

I've spent the last couple nights at the bench masking off the canopy bits. I'm using the Eduard pre-cut set which has saved a bunch of time but there's a couple mistakes in their design. On the windshield, there's a brace on the upper section that's on the inside. Eduard designed their mask to leave this free for paint on the outside. Which means you have to filling the outside gap and then mask the inside on your own. Fortunately it's a straight brace with no bends so easy enough to do. 

Never having been a stickler for complete colour accuracy (probably due to a touch of colour blindness) I don't have a lot of reference material on colours. One of the few I have does have colour chips in it though.

IMG_20190125_234824-L.jpg

After painting a couple parts I compared them to the colour chips inside. To me, they seem a good match. This is a section from the canopy painted in RLM02

IMG_20190125_235337-L.jpg

The lower wings previously done in RLM65

IMG_20190125_235310-L.jpg

It's definitely not scientific but I'm happy with the results. 

Carl

• Like 6

Your color looks good.   Many shades of RLM paint colors look alot like earlier chips any time you have more than one chip to use for comparison.  There are chips of 76 that look like chips of 65 and on and on it goes.  I've got to the point where I don't worry about the exactness of the color, but more on how it relates to the other colors.

Gaz

• Like 5

9 hours ago, DocRob said:

Looking great, can't wait to see the camo completed.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob!

Here you go:

IMG_20190129_201403-L.jpg

From the other side:

IMG_20190129_201415-L.jpg

I think it's good for a first try. I did add a drop of black to the RLM02 to darken it slightly and give me a bit of contrast to the upper camo colour. 

• Like 7

Oh yeah, oh yeah.. looking VERY cool!!

I tried the Real Color when it first came out on Armour. I am hooked!! Did you use the AK thinner or MCLT? The AK thinner is really nice, but it does attack the plastic if soaked. Ask me how I know!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NigelR32 said:

Oh yeah, oh yeah.. looking VERY cool!!

I tried the Real Color when it first came out on Armour. I am hooked!! Did you use the AK thinner or MCLT? The AK thinner is really nice, but it does attack the plastic if soaked. Ask me how I know!!

Thanks Nigel! I'm using Mr Color Leveling Thinner with the AK paints. I have a couple bottles of it so I figured I'd use that. Good to know the AK thinner is hotter in case I do try it out.

10 minutes ago, harv said:

WOW .....harv

Thanks  Harv!

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 4:15 AM, BlrwestSiR said:

Thanks Nigel! I'm using Mr Color Leveling Thinner with the AK paints. I have a couple bottles of it so I figured I'd use that. Good to know the AK thinner is hotter in case I do try it out.

I'm not sure if it's "hotter" to be exact.. but I was having an issue with some Vallejo Metal Colour that wouldnt dry, so i soaked the parts in the AK thinner for a few minutes as it dissolved the paint. The parts literally crumbled.. like sugar cubes.. It was really strange, the surface was unaffected but the composition of the plastic was destroyed??

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NigelR32 said:

I'm not sure if it's "hotter" to be exact.. but I was having an issue with some Vallejo Metal Colour that wouldnt dry, so i soaked the parts in the AK thinner for a few minutes as it dissolved the paint. The parts literally crumbled.. like sugar cubes.. It was really strange, the surface was unaffected but the composition of the plastic was destroyed??

So not melted but crumbled. Sounds like what some folks have experienced when using enamel washes or thinners on bare plastic or bits with a thin coat of paint. There's been a lot of talk about this occuring on Bandai Star Wars kits. The builder puts a wash on the model and later on finds the plastic has crumbled, usually around joints or alignment pins. They think it has something to do with the spirits in the washes/thnnier leeching out the plastic binders. There's even a warning about this on the bottles of Tamiya panel line washes. 

• Like 2

Speaking of plastic issues, I started mounting the canopy sections to the fuselage. The section immediately behind the pilot has a slight warp in it. 

IMG_20190130_213009-L.jpg

IMG_20190130_212955-L.jpg

Which is more fun being clear plastic and naturally brittle. So I've glued one side first and hopefully will be able to get the second side on and aligned properly.

Carl

• Like 4

Success! I got the other side of the canopy on without getting glue marks everywhere. 

IMG_20190201_101340-L.jpg

I painted and glued on both vertical tailplanes. 

IMG_20190201_093542-L.jpg

For some reason I decided to cut apart the nose cone so I did that and then added a small bit of strip styrene to make up for the lost material.

IMG_20190201_093519-L.jpg

• Like 4

Next up, I turned to the engine nacelles. There's no mention of the instrument covers (H3 & H4) that go into the upper nacelle covers. Brett points this out in his errata list. The two parts are handed but they're clearly marked as to which side they go on:

IMG_20190201_094043-L.jpg

There's a small R and L on the tabs so you can't mix them up. Nice touch by Dragon but then they leave them off the instructions. However, they're frosted on both sides so reading anything through them will be a challenge. I installed the ones that will face outwards as they're painted over so the frosted finish isn't an issue.

IMG_20190201_094308-L.jpg

For the inner ones that face the cockpit, I'll see if I can polish them or find a suitable substitution.

Another omission from the instructions is the engine instruments themselves. These are part G16. 

IMG_20190201_094652-L.jpg

There's a hole on the engine cradle that needs to be drilled out for these to fit. But you only drill out one of each and make sure they're the ones that face inward on the assembled engines.

IMG_20190201_094737-L.jpg

These parts aren't mentioned on Brett's E & O list. 

• Like 5