Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder. 

Clunkmeister

HB Models B-24 Hints, Tweaks, Tips

4 hours ago, NigelR32 said:

GIVEAWAY!!

On my channel at "Nigel's modelling bench" on Youtube. I'm giving away the Airscale 1/32 Liberator Instrument Panel set.

Closes 19:30 GMT on 8th March 2019

I think Clunk is going to need one soon!

• Like 3

Hey guys,

I was asked a question on my YouTube channel.. "How will you get the weight in the nose with so much visible detail in there"?

I can't ignore such questions, so I made a video..

Hope you like it..

• Like 2

Nige, I agree with you, I later theorized that if I used sheet, I could have used enough without the false bulkhead. I may still get some and do some additional weight, perhaps remove the bulkhead.

Now you just need to solve the Turret problems, so, get on with it!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Nige, I agree with you, I later theorized that if I used sheet, I could have used enough without the false bulkhead. I may still get some and do some additional weight, perhaps remove the bulkhead.

Now you just need to solve the Turret problems, so, get on with it!

I've solved the turret problems...

I haven't built them.

• Like 1

First off I would like to thank the admins for the add. Second, Has anyone started to address the issue of all radio and nav equipment missing from this kit?Excuse me if this has already been posted.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 4:29 AM, Bilgerat 727 said:

First off I would like to thank the admins for the add. Second, Has anyone started to address the issue of all radio and nav equipment missing from this kit?Excuse me if this has already been posted.

This is the first I've heard of that issue? Care to pass on some detail on what is actually missing from where?

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 1:30 AM, CrankyCrafstman said:

How does that solve the problem?

If you dont build em, you dont have to look at em..:rofl:

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 4:29 AM, Bilgerat 727 said:

First off I would like to thank the admins for the add. Second...

Welcome to LSM, great to see new faces.........interested to know what’s missing?

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 7:59 AM, NigelR32 said:

This is the first I've heard of that issue? Care to pass on some detail on what is actually missing from where?

That’s easy, Resin2Detail makes a radio set.

51AF1C67-282C-45F3-AE61-89499391E850.jpeg

B10BFAF7-EC83-4DFA-9040-0D18D1696BE2.jpeg

0FB85FDD-1909-41F2-A56D-FBAC5D7BBD0A.jpeg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

That’s easy, Resin2Detail makes a radio set.

51AF1C67-282C-45F3-AE61-89499391E850.jpeg

B10BFAF7-EC83-4DFA-9040-0D18D1696BE2.jpeg

0FB85FDD-1909-41F2-A56D-FBAC5D7BBD0A.jpeg

Thanks for this info Mr 1 to 1 scale. Very valuable.

I would like to ask.. you were having doubts about the mods you'd made to your bulkhead behind the cockpit. Is the bulkhead as pictured above now the final correct solution? If so, I think I'll copy you if you dont mind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NigelR32 said:

Thanks for this info Mr 1 to 1 scale. Very valuable.

I would like to ask.. you were having doubts about the mods you'd made to your bulkhead behind the cockpit. Is the bulkhead as pictured above now the final correct solution? If so, I think I'll copy you if you dont mind.

Nige. 

Yes, I made a few changes before I settled on this one. Most of the photos have an open bulkhead with two supports at the doorway, then a piece of plywood behind the pilot's seat to mount the oxygen bottles on. On the radio operator's side, there were a couple supports added for the fold up table, and some switches. I have found that there are five different possible radio operator positions on the B-24, this one, and the late one over the bomb bay behind the wing were the two most common. I also believe the bulkhead that HB depicted was from a museum aircraft that was restored, and they added a couple sheets of plywood to make the bulkhead during restoration. 

I also cut the seats out, and I will mount them farther forward, and will add some channel to the floor for the seat tracks. I have the Airscale IP for the cockpit, Since my mods for the nose weight are in place, I am going to keep them. I will definitely use sheet on the next B-24D I build.

Super accuracy for a particular plane is not an issue as I am building a fictional plane named after my wife, from the Jolly Rogers in the Pacific. I have yet to decide if it will be OD or Bare metal. Progress had stalled because I was waiting on IP, gear legs, masks, and still hoping for some updated turrets, but if I don't hear anything, I will probably start engineering a solution myself.

B-24J (restored), I believe this is wrong and added during the restoration. 

DSC_0448 B-24J N224J Witchcraft interior naviator station l.jpg

This is the "late" J, over the bay station, I am not sure, but i think this was more common on late J's over Europe.

late J over wing.jpg

This is a D, but this open design carried through with the J's through mid production. 

open bulkhead j.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Nige and 1to1 

There is a gentleman on Ebay selling replacement turrets Emerson and Consolidated. They are resin bases with vacuum glass parts. He's selling them for around $15.00 US. They look ok they are 1 piece clear domes. They may not be perfect but for $15.00 they maybe good to scratch build into something that maybe just right. Here are some pictures of them.

20190318_111421.jpgConsolidated 

20190318_111446.jpg

Emerson 

• Like 2