The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HK Models 1/32 Lancaster Hints, Tweaks and Tips,

NigelR32

More along the tips than tweaks guys, but i put together a little video on getting rid of the EPM's on the bomb bay roof.

It was suggested a while back we use a fibreglass pencil.. it is a little too fat to get in there unfortunately, and isn't man enough to do the whole job. AND, this little tip is free!!!

• Like 4

Hey all 

I found a place on the net (in England) that has 1/32 code letters and serial numbers for the HK Lancaster. Heres a link  6 shts for £49.50 thats about $63.00 US.

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/shop/euro-decals-ed-32123-avro-lancaster-bomber-codes-pre-order/

Ron G

Since I posted this Ray has got back with me and they are now £39.95 or $51.34 US dollars this is (6) 'A' size sheets of Lancaster code letters A to Z these are 1/32 scale 48" x 30" x 6" RAF Bomber code letters in dull red they are BIG so thats why 6 sht's, he also has the 8" serial numbers in dull red, so now you can make any Lanc you want. I am definitely getting a set of these for my Lanc.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 1:12 PM, NigelR32 said:

More along the tips than tweaks guys, but i put together a little video on getting rid of the EPM's on the bomb bay roof.

It was suggested a while back we use a fibreglass pencil.. it is a little too fat to get in there unfortunately, and isn't man enough to do the whole job. AND, this little tip is free!!!

Get into the groove, boy, you're gonna show your tip to me, yeah. Posting your little video, yeah, you made in your studio, is a great help to me.

• Like 2

Sorry Nigel

I didnt find that really helpful as I couldn't make out the type of Swann blade you used ????.

I love the idea behind the tip and will probably use it but  . . . .

I have only 10 and 10a so if you could let me know which blade I would appreciate it

thanks

David

• Like 1

So I may take the dive. If I was to buy one book which would it be, and I need some online resources for pics if you got 'em. I am wondering about the floors on war time birds, and the wear. I saw on pic where it looked as if there was no paint left on the deck at all. Any thoughts?(that's a dumb question)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FME erk said:

Sorry Nigel

I didnt find that really helpful as I couldn't make out the type of Swann blade you used ????.

I love the idea behind the tip and will probably use it but  . . . .

I have only 10 and 10a so if you could let me know which blade I would appreciate it

thanks

David

You could use any blade David. I have used 10A and the larger one is 24. I have only used the smaller one on my model.

• Like 2

Routine orders were usually for the aircrew to open the doors as they were shutting down the aircraft.

Two reasons for this, 1. for an inspection ie No bomb hang ups

and 2. saved the groundcrew starting the aircraft engines next morning to have the hydraulic pump open the doors.

• Like 2

Here's my little tip for today. 

EPM's removed from bomb bay roof front section, all 41 of them!!

In the background is the bare cockpit floor, ready for some plastic card mods.

1681436482_bombbayroof.thumb.jpg.2e1d17c7eaee496a2cf34a0410111af0.jpg

You will also notice i opened up the holes on the plain section and thinned down the plastic to get a more refined look..

739800322_bombbayroof1.thumb.jpg.f9ef9f503ea9d526006e430e531e1458.jpg

Think I might hang fire with the bomb bay right now as I want to see what Eduard come up with. I can imagine they will do a complete rerplacement.. just imagine all the folding involved!!

Thanks for looking..

• Like 1

No thanks

Eduard must be rubbing their hands together with the thoughts of all the additional detail they could provide but I'm sorry I have paid enough so I will try my hand at rectifying faults and improving stuff where I can. Just personal choice you understand.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, smitty44 said:

So I may take the dive. If I was to buy one book which would it be, and I need some online resources for pics if you got 'em. I am wondering about the floors on war time birds, and the wear. I saw on pic where it looked as if there was no paint left on the deck at all. Any thoughts?(that's a dumb question)

There will always be wear n tear on any aircraft particularly if it has a lot of hours.

Edges of table and equipment and main walkways will always show scuff mark so the amount would be down to you.

Reference photos are available from several sources  if not from the members here . . . .

I dont think any ONE book will give you all the answers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FME erk said:

There will always be wear n tear on any aircraft particularly if it has a lot of hours.

Edges of table and equipment and main walkways will always show scuff mark so the amount would be down to you.

Reference photos are available from several sources  if not from the members here . . . .

I dont think any ONE book will give you all the answers

Yeah wouldn't that be great only have to buy ONE!!! book...lol :book::rofl:

48 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Wasn't trying to be snarky. If you want info and don't want to buy books use the internet.

Ron G 

Didn't say you were, just asked in my original question up there^^, "if I was to buy one book which one would it be"?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smitty44 said:

I just don't intend to buy a bunch of books for this build, so I was hoping to find out which would be most helpful.

I've recently bought a load of second hand  books on the lanc, good read and nice to have, however.....so far most of the reference pictures I've used for my build have come from the net. Be careful though as an awful lot of (mainly colour pictures) on there seem to be of lancs that have been restored and therefore I don't think they are exactly accurate for wartime lancs.  Keep cross checking different pictures and you'll start to see what's restored and what's not, that's how I spotted the seat pan isn't flat (99% of pictures show a seat cushion).

Having spent a fortune on aftermarket stuff for the B17 interior when I got it, only for it to be never seen once closed up, I keep testing what can be seen in the Lanc. To be honest, not a lot, and not a lot of detail with the naked eye. I'm following Nige's build with interest but not getting hung up on the detail of my build as it wont be seen ! 

• Like 3

Smitty44

A book I could strongly recommend would be the 'Lancaster at War' book 1 by Garbett & Goulding.

Its a long time Out of Print book you should be able to get second hand copies

It is a pictorial book basically a 'day in the life of  . . .'. Has photos of the crew positions and also the exterior showing the weathering etc.

There was a publication that combined Lancaster at War 1 & 2 so that would be even better I suspect.

Also the book(s) contain recounts by both air and ground staff

David

• Like 3

Hey guys.. me again. Back with another little update, on engines this time.

I have opened up the exhausts to add some realism to them and have put a how i do it video up for those newer to the hobby to follow.

https://youtu.be/Wteq4-CYdT0

Overall, I think HK could have done a little better on the engine front, but it is what it is.. as i say in my video, manufacturers have to juggle between accuracy vs injection moulding restrictions on plastic thickness.

I also found something a little strange today.. I saw a video of the BBMF Lanc under major overhaul and a shot of the rear intrior showed the interior colour like a sky blue?? I find this interesting because the initial Tamiya 1/48 kit called for the interior to be painted "Sky"??? Of course, it could have been the camera settings??

• Like 1

Nige

that was an interesting video, please keep them coming as I wasnt aware that the pilots cockpit floor was to high.

What is the name of that tool you used to cut the pilots floor off ?? Wooden handle with what looks to be a razor blade ? I  would like to get one of those

David

• Like 1

I have a little bad news guys.. 

One of my subscribers on You Tube has spotted an issue that'll need a little work.

In the pic below you can see there are different panel and access ports on top and bottom of the tailplanes. The upper half in this image is the underside, with the access panels.

Tailplanes.thumb.jpg.17be51ac5999b9dbdc40e18f2dea6654.jpg

In the next pic you can see one lower and one upper panel next to each other in pairs..

595768696_Tailplanes1.thumb.jpg.b3c07af88fd5aa476b9dadcce12eaa05.jpg

Trouble is, the starboard side halves both have the location pins on them!! The pins are 4mm diameter so probably the best way to fix this is to remove one pair of pins and fit some 4mm tube to the port side once assembled.

• Like 3