The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HK Models 1/32 Lancaster Hints, Tweaks and Tips,

NigelR32

I never realised until now, that what gave the Lancaster a huge edge, and its ability to carry grand slam and other huge ordinance, was a MOD design specification for the Lancaster to carry torpedoes for Naval operations, resulting in that unimpeded bomb bay. Any examples anywhere, model or historic pic of a Lancaster with torpedoes? I know some when on post war on maritime patrols ( re that fantastic RCAF Lanc posted by Clunkmeister )

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I am finally back with my Lanc project. Couple of things I have not found the answers  yet. Regarding the Is and llls built - when the side windows wanished?  Another question related to this: were they painted over /black at some stage? 

• Like 2

yrjo

I am lead to believe that fuselage windows ceased on the production line around November 1943.

I also have it from first hand accounts that  windows were painted over on the squadron, its being a crew decision, not every aircraft. That info was dated October 1943.

Ian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FME erk said:

yrjo

I am lead to believe that fuselage windows ceased on the production line around November 1943.

I also have it from first hand accounts that  windows were painted over on the squadron, its being a crew decision, not every aircraft. That info was dated October 1943.

Ian

Thank you Ian very much. If the crew decided that windows should be painted, was it with black paint and from the inside? 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Coolant and oil radiators and shutters

The engines have caused trouble to me. The details for this scale are just not there. I am fixing some parts starting with radiators and shutters. I have taken pictures from the Lanc in RAF Hendon museum. I am now drilling out the radiators from the back and make new shutters from 0.15mm aluminium sheet. My target is better, not perfect. I am not going to fix the possible issue regarding the on the shapes and sizes.  Also in several pictures that I have found, the shutters are close or almost close in the airfield. Engines look better when shutter are almost closed (in my pow :0) ). But, as what usually happens, when you fix one part, the other part looks even worse. Same thing with painting the walls at home - cannot paint just one wall, need to paint them all!

ps. first time tested blackening liquid for brass- works very well! I checked the video from Ushi homepage. https://www.uschivdr.com/

shutter org.jpg

shutter.jpg

shutter 1.jpg

grills.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There's a new bit of AM out for the Lanc. Iconicair is releasing a resin large bomb aimer's blister that doesn't have the holes in it that the kit one does. I've got one on order so will try to post pics once it's here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I see the new bomb aimer blister is on the website, its listed as the Dambuster nose blister but it can obviously be used on any Lancaster and replaces  the IFF 'OO' rings found on the HK kit,  hence the new release from Iconicair. Price £20 excluding postage, around £3.50. . . . 

• Like 3

I am pleased to say that this little gem dropped in today . . . 

First impression is that its very clean and crisp and I am looking forward to adding it to the OIL bowser that I built.

Only the tiniest of an itch, the decals dont include 'my' bomber group, No1 . . . No's 5, 4 & 2 are represented on the decal sheet its just a shame that Graham couldn't have included all the numbers for the Group's No. 1, 3, 6 & 8. It shouldn't be a problem to spray the letter 1 on to the tractor.

I am looking forward to building it when I get some appropriate adhesive  .. . .

David Brown tractor.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Amazing work, here!

I just got one of these--the WNW kit's future is in doubt, at best, so...HK it is.

Question re: kit Bomb Aimer's blister--are the kit parts wrong?

Cheers, 

Tim W.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, timw said:

Question re: kit Bomb Aimer's blister--are the kit parts wrong?

I don't think it's necessarily wrong. There's two blisters in the kit. One is smaller than the other. The larger one has a pair of holes in it. The Dambusters Lancs and some standard Lancs used the bulged one but without the holes. The Iconicair one gives you that option. I'm looking forward to getting my pair of them. 

• Like 1

Both the kits bomb-aimers blister are correct for particular aircraft. Early and MK.II Lancasters had the shallow blister. The other kit blister has two holes in the front which is suitable for aircraft that had the later version of I.F.F. installed. The new blister give you the option of the most common blister carried by the majority of Lancaster aircraft.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

There's a thread on Britmodeler discussing a 1/1 nose section that's being built using some original parts. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235077341-lancaster-b1-special-pd130/&tab=comments#comment-3774728

They've got some great pics of the work done so far which should be handy for reference. They're currently working on the pilot's platform. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hi All, I'm just started building the new HKM 1:32 Nose Art kit and plan to use the included S for Sugar markings. The provided decals match the photo on the left (so the earlier configuration). I am assuming that the H2S equipment (both in the cockpit and the ventral blister) would NOT have been fitted to the aircraft at this stage of its career. Does that sound right or is it more accurate that H2S would have been installed ? Appreciate any insights.

2020-09-23_20-46-02.jpg

• Like 2