The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HK Models 1/32 Lancaster Hints, Tweaks and Tips,

NigelR32

Hello all. I'm sort of building PO-S as she is in the RAF Museum, and it's hard to miss the Rebecca aerials up front. Which the HKM Lanc doesn't supply, presumably modelling an earlier iteration. Does anyone know the dimensions? They don't look like a tough scratch build, or alternatively does anyone know a supplier? I've asked Master Models of Poland if they're interested! 

Mike

PS Stellar riveting and describe, Nigel. Have you masked the transparencies yet? 4 hours I won't see again! 

• Like 2

On 3/5/2019 at 8:46 AM, ChaoticMike said:

Hello all. I'm sort of building PO-S as she is in the RAF Museum, and it's hard to miss the Rebecca aerials up front. Which the HKM Lanc doesn't supply, presumably modelling an earlier iteration. Does anyone know the dimensions? They don't look like a tough scratch build, or alternatively does anyone know a supplier? I've asked Master Models of Poland if they're interested! 

Mike

PS Stellar riveting and describe, Nigel. Have you masked the transparencies yet? 4 hours I won't see again! 

I have good news for you my friend.. have you not seen parts P49 and P53.. they are the aerials you're looking for. P57 and P58 are another option.

I have the DN Models mask set for the clear parts.. should make life a lot easier.

• Like 3

The Eduard does have the advantage over the Airscale in that I suspect it will be an easier upgrade. The Airscale is excellent, but fiddly, and the Engineers panel is tricky to paint (well, it was for me!). Horses for courses, really - the Eduard will likely get you a better pit than OOB more quickly /less effort than Airscale, but the 3D of the Airscale looks better to these eyes. Also easier to distress and blend in with the rest of the environment. Well, that's my £0.02...

• Like 2

I got yesterday Eduard masks and steel belts. Those are much better than brass ones.  I am waiting HGW belts too. In this scale fabric looks better in my pow. Waiting resin wheels and bulged bomb doors. 

A6068D9E-D41F-4E3D-BFD8-7953CF10DC86.jpeg

• Like 1

• Administrators
11 hours ago, ChaoticMike said:

The Eduard does have the advantage over the Airscale in that I suspect it will be an easier upgrade. The Airscale is excellent, but fiddly, and the Engineers panel is tricky to paint (well, it was for me!). Horses for courses, really - the Eduard will likely get you a better pit than OOB more quickly /less effort than Airscale, but the 3D of the Airscale looks better to these eyes. Also easier to distress and blend in with the rest of the environment. Well, that's my £0.02...

Well, any of us building a Mk.X will have issues with either set. The engineers panel is all wrong.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2019 at 11:26 AM, ChaoticMike said:

You are right. The challenge I have is that in the old BW pictures from the cockpit the panels actually look very matt or even dark grayish. Any comment? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Well, any of us building a Mk.X will have issues with either set. The engineers panel is all wrong.

This is my issue with Eduard of late. They just seem to enhance what the kit gives you rather than correct it. In the old days they used to correct stuff, like on the Trumpy F105 cockpit floor height and removing the blocks in the Me262 wheel bays.

• Like 1

Over on Britmodeller, an observation has been made that the paddle-blade propellor blades are keyed back to front. Does anyone else agree? I have no opinion, because I have yet to approach that part of the build and the instructions are for needle props (that I'm not planning on using for my build)..

Mike

I'm no expert, but I don't agree. Here are the two side by side.

DSCN2158-1.jpg

Assuming that the pointed props are correct, the shank of the prop on the trailing edge is longer than that of the leading edge. That is also the case if the paddle blades are installed the same way.

• Like 1

I've taken a look, and I'm no wiser. They *look* wrong, like the aerofoil section for the blade is back to front. If I adopted the proposed 'fix' (and I'm by no means sure it is necessary) then the perceived angle of attack and twist to the propellor looks better to my eye but then the shank difference noted by Bill_S would be reversed. 

I wish I hadn't read the initial post expressing doubt over the blades' orientation.. . It's going to nag, now! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed another little issue with the cockpit tonight.. the navigators table is too short and the first "bulkhead" at the front of said table is too far back. I'm just working on the correction now, will post pics tomorrow.

Biggest bummer of all is the fact that i already woodgrained my table ready for a coat of interior green then scrub away to show some wear :wallbash::wallbash:

Anyway, its lengthened now so I will need to do it all again!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NigelR32 said:

I noticed another little issue with the cockpit tonight.. the navigators table is too short and the first "bulkhead" at the front of said table is too far back. I'm just working on the correction now, will post pics tomorrow.

Biggest bummer of all is the fact that i already woodgrained my table ready for a coat of interior green then scrub away to show some wear :wallbash::wallbash:

Anyway, its lengthened now so I will need to do it all again!!

Bugger...

• Like 1

OK, here you go guys.. this shall now be known as the Bummer, Bugger Bigger mod..

If you look at pics of early Lancs from inside the cockpit you'll see that the bulkhead behind the pilots seat is forward of the upper fusleage opening. The HK kit has this bulkhead flush with the rear edge of the opening.

I can see how this error has been made.. the pilots raised floor area is too long in the kit, so the bulkhead is proprtionally correct in relation to the back of the raised floor.. but... as you travel rearwards the position of the W/O in relation to the main spar is fixed.. as a result the overall length of the table has suffered and the Navigator has taken the hit. I think this also explains why the two boxes in front of the W/O seat are under his feet and not forward under the table?

So, in the first pic we can see the holes filled in the floor, yes, all of em in reality,:wacko: and the new holes I've made for the front bulkhead. (The bulkhead needs to be thinned down to represent the sheet metal it's made from.

In the foreground we can see the table extension and the slot filled in the radio bulkhead part X4. As previously mentioned, note the woodgrain on the table.. now destroyed. Note also the ejector pin marks on the bulkheads.. these need to be filled.

Behind the floor we can see the floor mounted boxes, part X23 with the two boxes cut out in front of the W/O seat.

IMG_5205.thumb.JPG.fbcdbb35601ce6e2864c8a1e326cb47e.JPG

In this next picture we can see the whole lot placed into position. Note the proximity of the forward bulkhead in relation to the pilots seat, the room around the W/O feet and the correctly proprtioned table. Also note the vertical supports need to be relocated forward to stay in proprtion with the table and radio bulkhead.

IMG_5204.thumb.JPG.75c2cf465758777ec5523efbc1a73f14.JPG

Here we can see the whole lot placed inside the front fuselage section. I feel this has been worth doing, especially on my model as I have corrected the pilots floor and closed up the huge gap behind it. It would appear the vertical pillar on the fron bulkhead is ficticious so needs to be removed. I will also need to make the pedestal for the Indicator to sit on.

IMG_5203.thumb.JPG.7726828beb9b6db554222f7b7d3c14cb.JPG

I have written a more in depth article on my build thread which looks very similar to this one...

I hope to get my video out today on building the Airscale IP set, that should be an interesting watch?

Thanks for stopping by...

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, NigelR32 said:

OK, here you go guys.. this shall now be known as the Bummer, Bugger Bigger mod..

If you look at pics of early Lancs from inside the cockpit you'll see that the bulkhead behind the pilots seat is forward of the upper fusleage opening. The HK kit has this bulkhead flush with the rear edge of the opening.

I can see how this error has been made.. the pilots raised floor area is too long in the kit, so the bulkhead is proprtionally correct in relation to the back of the raised floor.. but... as you travel rearwards the position of the W/O in relation to the main spar is fixed.. as a result the overall length of the table has suffered and the Navigator has taken the hit. I think this also explains why the two boxes in front of the W/O seat are under his feet and not forward under the table?

So, in the first pic we can see the holes filled in the floor, yes, all of em in reality,:wacko: and the new holes I've made for the front bulkhead. (The bulkhead needs to be thinned down to represent the sheet metal it's made from.

In the foreground we can see the table extension and the slot filled in the radio bulkhead part X4. As previously mentioned, note the woodgrain on the table.. now destroyed. Note also the ejector pin marks on the bulkheads.. these need to be filled.

Behind the floor we can see the floor mounted boxes, part X23 with the two boxes cut out in front of the W/O seat.

IMG_5205.thumb.JPG.fbcdbb35601ce6e2864c8a1e326cb47e.JPG

In this next picture we can see the whole lot placed into position. Note the proximity of the forward bulkhead in relation to the pilots seat, the room around the W/O feet and the correctly proprtioned table. Also note the vertical supports need to be relocated forward to stay in proprtion with the table and radio bulkhead.

IMG_5204.thumb.JPG.75c2cf465758777ec5523efbc1a73f14.JPG

Here we can see the whole lot placed inside the front fuselage section. I feel this has been worth doing, especially on my model as I have corrected the pilots floor and closed up the huge gap behind it. It would appear the vertical pillar on the fron bulkhead is ficticious so needs to be removed. I will also need to make the pedestal for the Indicator to sit on.

IMG_5203.thumb.JPG.7726828beb9b6db554222f7b7d3c14cb.JPG

I have written a more in depth article on my build thread which looks very similar to this one...

I hope to get my video out today on building the Airscale IP set, that should be an interesting watch?

Thanks for stopping by...

Thanx Nige, excellent work! I should have time to start to built my Lanc after mid April so I can use many of your tips. One item I would like to add to my Lanc is the curtain on the cockpit roof. I have some Ideas but it would mean to build the frames. I heard that VNW have these frames. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, yknu said:

Thanx Nige, excellent work! I should have time to start to built my Lanc after mid April so I can use many of your tips. One item I would like to add to my Lanc is the curtain on the cockpit roof. I have some Ideas but it would mean to build the frames. I heard that VNW have these frames. 

The WNW kit will have everything Yrjo. It will not have detail you cant see, such as the rear fuselage, but from the cad images available it looks like it could be the finest model aircraft kit ever?

• Like 1

Just to add a note here.. I have removed the ramp on the table. It is for the the "Fishpond" system, which is part of the H2S radar.IMG_5206.thumb.JPG.645f8e7059f77a06fe006f7b07f38472.JPG

Obviously, it has a coat of Mr Surfacer which has yet to be rubbed down.

• Like 2

uuuummmmmm.......................... not to be nasty or get myself into a lot of bother here, but I have been following along, in the darkness, and watching this incredible build with fabulous details, and information......................... is it just me and my cynical mind , or is there an awful lot of corrections and adjustments to be made with such a state of the art and expensive kit? I know we are all modellers, and we do like accuracy, but this seems to be an awful lot of extra work................. is it just me?   Nige, I LOVE what you are doing and ALL of the extremely valuable corrective information...... I'm just thinking for me , and my crummy skills, this is one for me to pass on.....maybe the WNW one is more my style.....?

4 minutes ago, Jeff said:

uuuummmmmm.......................... not to be nasty or get myself into a lot of bother here, but I have been following along, in the darkness, and watching this incredible build with fabulous details, and information......................... is it just me and my cynical mind , or is there an awful lot of corrections and adjustments to be made with such a state of the art and expensive kit? I know we are all modellers, and we do like accuracy, but this seems to be an awful lot of extra work................. is it just me?   Nige, I LOVE what you are doing and ALL of the extremely valuable corrective information...... I'm just thinking for me , and my crummy skills, this is one for me to pass on.....maybe the WNW one is more my style.....?

Thanks Jeff. As much as I moan and whinge about the kit, I really do enjoy making all these changes and upgrades.

For sure, the WNW kit will be more accurate according to the cad images they have released. I will be getting one as soon as I possibly can and will do an online review of it.

I think the biggest difference between the two kits is this.... Some say of this kit, "It's a great canvas to add aftermarket to", some reviewers say of WNW kits, "The beauty of theses kits is that it's all in the box, you dont need to add anything". You pays yer money, you takes yer choice.

• Like 2