The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Short Sunderland MkII

Afternoon all - and happy New Year!

I thought I'd share a new project with you - the old ID Models 1/32nd scale Short Sunderland vacform. I've had it in the stash for a while, and decided to dust it off and give her a turn on the bench. Saying that, I'm having to use the kitchen table as it won't fit on the bench:

46507205132_03424de2b5_z.jpgIMG_0639 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The cutting mat in the picture above is A3 sized...

The first task (after hours of rubbing down the fuselage halves) was to mark and cut out the fuselage openings such as the cockpit, turrets, bomb windows and portholes:

45577093925_601ce466bc_z.jpgStep 6 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

This was mundane but fairly simple to do - it was a case of drilling pilot holes:

45766736334_db2b061edb_z.jpgStep 1 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Opening them up with an old set of sprue-cutters:

45577094885_d03f58cfa1_z.jpgStep 2 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Rounding and shaping with a sharp blade:

45766735824_165e136f4a_z.jpgStep 3 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

And then a final sanding to neaten everything up:

45577094285_685f214664_z.jpgStep 5 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

It took a while, but looks the part now it's done - my mobile gives a useful size comparison, too:

45766736524_e292a4340a_z.jpgSize Comparison by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The interior is devoid of all detail...

45766737124_e1b9256c5f_z.jpgInterior by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

So I'm currently making bulkheads and floors before internal detailing can begin:

45878655784_f22edf96f1_z.jpgIMG_0692 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Lots of work ahead, but great fun so far.

All the best,

Tom

• Like 16

When I see other people complaining about the size of some 1/32 quads with « Where do you put one ? » questions, I believe they should see your shelves/display area/attic with all the few big kits you have built already ... ;) 

And I thought you said the 1/32 B-29 was pretty impractical to manipulate. Glad you chose a Sunderland then :lol:

Anyway, I will follow this one with GREAT interest :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Hubert

• Like 5

Good to see you post this wonderful build on LSP too Tom. Have you dug out that Sunderland shaped garden pond already you were talking about?

If you need some spare props and engines, I have a set lying somewhere from the Revell Beaufighter. Just let me know.

Cees

• Like 6

Thanks for the warm welcome, chaps!

1 hour ago, HubertB said:

When I see other people complaining about the size of some 1/32 quads with « Where do you put one ? » questions, I believe they should see your shelves/display area/attic with all the few big kits you have built already ... ;) 

And I thought you said the 1/32 B-29 was pretty impractical to manipulate. Glad you chose a Sunderland then :lol:

Anyway, I will follow this one with GREAT interest :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Hubert

Yes indeed the B-29 was a challenge to work on due to its size, but at least the span on this is smaller ;)

34 minutes ago, Wingco57 said:

Good to see you post this wonderful build on LSP too Tom. Have you dug out that Sunderland shaped garden pond already you were talking about?

If you need some spare props and engines, I have a set lying somewhere from the Revell Beaufighter. Just let me know.

Cees

That's great to know, Cees - I have a set somewhere too but I'm not sure how complete they are. I'll keep your offer in mind should I need anything. Most appreciated!

12 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Oh god Tom you've got me now. 

For anyone who doesn't know Tom his 32 scale builds are well brilliant. From the B29 to the Halibag and Shackleton (how's that going BTW)?. 

I'll be watching this one mate 

The Shackelton is still on the bench but I've not done anything to it for a while - I've run out of steam at the moment. I've been working on it on and off for nearly two years now, so I'm putting it aside for the time being to return to it refreshed and ready to go when the mood takes.

I've been working on the interior bulkheads the last few evenings, so I'll do my best to get some pictures of my progress up soon.

Tom

• Like 6

Afternoon all :)

Some more progress on the Sunderland to update you on...

One of the main problems when building big vacs like this the fact that due to the nature of the plastic and the fact there's no interior provided, the fuselage lacks structural integrity - especially when it comes to adding the wings and tail, etc. Therefore, lots of internal reinforcement is needed to provide enough strength for the model to be able to support itself.

So it was out with the profile gauge and thick plastic card, and slowly bulkheads began to emerge...

39637662803_34e5d4e853_z.jpgDSC_0039 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

For anyone familiar with the internal layout of the Sunderland, you will quickly see these bulkheads and floors are far from resembling reality, but considering next to nothing of the interior will be visible I went for strength over accuracy. The centre-section 'bomb room' as well as the nose section and cockpit are more in keeping with the real thing, however:

45878655334_1f9e1fe60e_z.jpgDSC_0035 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The other fuselage half...

45878654264_259145c9fc_z.jpgDSC_0037 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

..now slides nicely over the other...

45878652084_bf19dfa451_z.jpgDSC_0041 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

...apart from the fact that the starboard fuselage is approx. 4-5mm deeper than the port - a bridge I'll have to cross at a later date!

The sheer bulk of the fuselage and the size of the real aircraft is quickly becoming apparent:

39637660663_c35a21576f_z.jpgDSC_0043 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

A few more bulkheads to fabricate, and then it'll be on with making the finer details of the interior areas that will be visible.

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 11

Tom

Great to see you on board ... what a project and will be following every step of the way.

I couldn't really appreciate how big the Sunderland is until you were holding the two fuselage halves together: GIGANTIC might come close. :omg:!

Keep 'em comin

Peter :popcorn:

• Like 5

Wonderful progress Tom. I visited Solent Sky last year and got the chance to see the interior of the civilian Sunderland "Beachcomber". It was huge but the entry to the cockpit was via a very narrow ladder and smale square hole in the floor, I just managed to squeeze through. The interior consist of many compartments so your solution to provide strength seems to be a wise one.

Cees

• Like 6

To complement Cees' offer, I have a box containing two complete Beaufighters (which was offered as an option in the LSM Christmas raffle, but was not chosen by Wouter), which I will most likely never build.

Let me know if they are of any use for your project. They are yours in this case.

Hubert

• Like 8

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:10 AM, HubertB said:

To complement Cees' offer, I have a box containing two complete Beaufighters (which was offered as an option in the LSM Christmas raffle, but was not chosen by Wouter), which I will most likely never build.

Let me know if they are of any use for your project. They are yours in this case.

Hubert

Many thanks for the kind offer, Hubert. I'll keep this in mind when it comes to engines/props in the future...

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:44 PM, Bomber_County said:

Amazing project, always admired the Sunderland but never built one. Wish someone would do a 48th at least. Hitting the follow button now as really want to see the build...........

There are a couple of options in 1/48th - there was a full resin kit (manufacturer escapes me) as well as either the Combat Models or Sanger vacforms. Sadly, no injection-kit yet.

• Like 4