The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Short Sunderland MkII

On 1/20/2019 at 3:10 AM, Peterpools said:

Nige

Thanks for posting. I follow Kermit's channel and it's amazing.

Peter

I am a new follower. He seems like a real nice genuine guy and often replies to comments or at least gives a like.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon, folks :)

Not a huge amount of progress of late due to work commitments, but I've gradually been adding the interior structure of the forward bow section. My measurements have only been approximate and don't look at this as an example of accuracy, I am just hoping to fill out the interior and make it representative of the real thing.

First up has been the forward flooring and ladder up to the flightdeck:

33082417558_7fe487a227_z.jpgIMG_0759 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The raised pierced flooring for the tapered front section is yet to be made - I'm trying to come up with a plan to avoid drilling hundreds of holes...

I've added some detail to the areas of the sidewalls that will be visible:

46043843845_a0585142b6_z.jpgIMG_0765 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

46043843325_ff2afea1bb_z.jpgIMG_0766 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The door on the rear bulkhead is, as far as I can tell, not present on the real aircraft and it's an open doorway, but as I'm not going to detailing the room behind I hope the Sunderland aficionados can forgive me..?

It looks as if a fair bit will be visible through the forward door, so lots more detail to add in due course:

url=https://flic.kr/p/2d9JJc8]46043842365_c7e54e8087_z.jpg[/url]IMG_0768 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 10:27 AM, ThomasProbert said:

..now slides The sheer bulk of the fuselage and the size of the real aircraft is quickly becoming apparent:

39637660663_c35a21576f_z.jpgDSC_0043 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

A few more bulkheads to fabricate, and then it'll be on with making the finer details of the interior areas that will be visible.

Until next time,

Tom

Jeeze Oh Pete!!!! You could almost live in there.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Evening all,

I've been making some good progress this week on the big Sunderland. Lots of plastic card and Evergreen strip to the rescue, combined with a fair bit of reference checking and head-scratching, and I now have the basic structures of the bomb room and forward fuselage/flightdeck completed.

The bomb room has been kitted out with the basic structure - the doors are actually open on the real aircraft but as I'm not detailing the areas either fore or aft I've used a bit of creative licence and added some doors:

Pic 1

I've made the basics of the bomb racks which will eventually carry the depth charges and added these to the roof structure, which slots nicely between the bulkheads:

Pic 2

The whole structure then sits nicely into the fuselage, which has had its sidewalls detailed with Evergreen for the ribs and stringers:

Pic 5

I've also been busy detailing the underside of the flightdeck floor and added the stairs:

Pic 6

And I've also begun making the basic structure of the flightdeck itself - again the door in the real aircraft would be open but I'm adding large spars to support the wing here so have added a closed door:

Pic 7

This again fits nicely in the forward fuselage section, with more Evergreen for the sidewall structures:

Pic 8

I've also begun making the floor for the forward nose section which has numerous perforations, I imagine for water drainage. I think I may have made these a little large but we'll see how they look under some paint:

Pic 9

The fuselage is doing its best to come apart here, but you can see how the internals sit in the model:

Pic 11

Here's a sense of scale - a Halfords' rattle can is dwarfed by this beast!

Pic 12

A few more bits to make and add before I can give a first squirt of paint to see how it all looks - a nice mixture of interior green and natural metal should bring it all to life nicely.

Until next time, 

Tom

• Like 5