The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

New Years Modelling Resolutions

Dave J

Another year has ticked over, and I managed to build five kits in 2018. That has been my best for many years, well actually since 2013! I made seven back that year. There are a few kits on my pile that I would love to tackle this, I would like to try to get 6-7 done. Last time I decided to do this in 2014, and I built nothing! So with ongoing back issues hopefully under control now and having my Mojo returned.

So these are the kits that I want to get done this year, in no particular order...

1. Meng Jagdpather

2. Rye Field Models Panther G

3. Trumpeter P-40B

4. Hasegawa P-40N (Currently on the Shelf of Doom)

5. ?

6. ?

So have you guys done this before and planned what you want to build for the year?

• Like 2

Tried and failed previously!

However, plan for this year is to finish the Greek A-7 then jump right out of my comfort zone and crack on with the M911 C-HET. It's the HB kit not the Meng one - it was less than half the price and not having built a vehicle since I was a teenager I didn't want to burn too much cash when I inevitably stuff it up!

• Like 2

I have only 3 modelling resolutions this year...

1. To do something model-related daily (hands-on, not research or Forum related).

2. To consolidate the stash, and clear some kits that I know I'll never build.

3. Finish one kit this year. My Wife has upped the ante, and promises to buy me a Detolf case to house it if I can do so.

S

• Like 3

1. master flat wire rigging

2. WNW Sopwith Camel

3. A-4C conversion

4. WNW AEG

5. It all gets fuzzy at this point. Sooo many cool projects I could start. The Memphis Belle is the largest and most interesting in the stash. Polish MIG-29A maybe?

• Like 2

Hadn't really thought of them as resolutions but I do want to finish the following kits this year:

- both HK B-25s that are cluttering up not just my workbench but the space around it. 

- my 1/12 McLaren MP4/6 that I started in 1993. I actually got it back out last year and started work on it again. 

Carl

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

What are those first two, Dave?  as they a certain type of Grumman Panther model? :stirthepot:

I am enjoying the Dark Side! Or to those who only build things with wings.... Targets!

• Like 5

Ah ! New Year’s resolutions !

I have to finish the couple of Gee Bees I started in 2017 ... but then I also need to finish the Cutlass I started in 2016, the scratchbuilt Sikorsky S-39 I started in 2017, the Gulfhawk from 2013, the Husky from 2015 ...

And then, there is this civilian Swordfish, or this « Bumble Bee » Lysander I want to build ... :wacko:

By the way, what day are we today ? Ah yes, the « World Day of Procrastination » ! Ok, I’ll sort out my resolutions later, then :rolleyes:

Hubert

• Like 6

1. Resuming bench ops ASAP (March/April). Need to set up and furnish my new modelling vault first.
  2. 32nd scale MiG-23ML (30% Trumpeter/70% DIY resin), masters and moulds ready.
    Optional:
  3. Finishing that 32nd scale Sloppy Hawk F-86D (DIY paint masks and decals).
  4. 32nd scale Iffy Hawk F-5E (DIY paint masks and custom decals).
  5. Takom Chieftain Mk.10
  6. Frying bacon naked.

• Like 6

My plan for 2019:

Finish (from the SOD)

1. F-105D
  2. Ar-196
  3. Trumpeter Avenger
  4. Revell N1K1-J and Rex (Scratchbuilders conversion)
  5. Ho-229
  6. Hasegawa P-47D

New builds:

1. CSM Nieuport XVII
  2. Z-M J7W1
  3. Revell Mosquito w/ Paragon cockpit/fighter nose
  4. Lancaster
  • Like 4

My new years resolution is to finish these:

1. Finish all 8 P-40s (most are ready for primer).

2. Finish B-24J in time for Chattanooga in August.

3. Finish Decaling and assemble Wingnut Fokker D.VII.

4.  Finish OOB build on already started but forgotten about Hasegawa P-47.

New Builds planned in order, this year will be the year of Helos and BIG aircraft. I realize this is an aggressive list, but many are quick/easy builds like the 4 Helos, Sea Fury, and Meteor. On top these, I have a few Bandai 1/12 Star Wars figures, but these are usually 3 hour day builds, I can build a Stormtrooper in less than two hours now. 

Here is my Top ten in order:

1. MRC H-13 Rescue Helo with Resin floats.

2. Lodela/Revell Beaufighter TF.X with thimble nose and a full scratched interior.

3. HK Gloster Meteor F.4 OOB build as Saudi

4. Tamiya F-4C/D Phantom II OOB as MICHIGAN ANG 

5. Revell Junkers Ju 88A-1 OOB as BOB plane 

6. Testors H-43B Huskie USAF SAR 

7. Trumpeter MiG-21MF Fishbed-J as OOB Polish 

8. Glencoe McDonnell XV-1 Convertiplane OOB, possible foil or Alclad polished alum or chrome

7. Hobbycraft Hawker Sea Fury w/Fisher cockpit, built as RAAN 

8. Dragon Bf110D-1/R1 "Dackelbauch" OOB

9. Mikoyan MiG-17PF Fresco as Polish with full load of every bit of AM available.10. Revell UH-1 Huey built as Canadian SAR

Of course..........any of this is subject to change on a whim.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:
  1. Resuming bench ops ASAP (March/April). Need to set up and furnish my new modelling vault first.
  2. 32nd scale MiG-23ML (30% Trumpeter/70% DIY resin), masters and moulds finished.
    Optional:
  3. Finishing that 32nd scale Sloppy Hawk F-86D (custom masks and decals).
  4. 32nd scale Iffy Hawk F-5E (custom paint masks and custom decals).
  5. Restoring a 1/1 scale NPP Zvezda K-36DM seat.
  6. Frying bacon naked.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Flogger, Ivan. Having built the MF I'd advise trying to do something to strengthen the undercarriage as mine has sagged badly over time. Could be my poor skills but I think it's also a factor of the design.

• Like 3

I've already completed two kits this year, so I only have a few simple model related resolutions:

1.  Like it!  If it sucks, throw it away.

2.  Like it!  Don't worry if it doesn't look as good as I want.

I had this Gunny in the Marines.  Gunny Hermann (not sure if it was one N or two).  Helluva a Marine.  Heaven help you if you didn't have a fresh haircut at Monday morning formation.  He had an interesting sense of humor.  One of his catch phrases was:  "Like it!  And if you don't like it, like not liking it!"

Gaz

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, GazzaS said:

I had this Gunny in the Marines.  Gunny Hermann (not sure if it was one N or two).  Helluva a Marine.  Heaven help you if you didn't have a fresh haircut at Monday morning formation.  He had an interesting sense of humor.  One of his catch phrases was:  "Like it!  And if you don't like it, like not liking it!"

Gaz

I had no idea you were a jarhead also, Gaz. 

• Like 1