Jump to content

Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder. 

JohnB

Trumpeter P-40B Pearl Harbor attack

Recommended Posts

I have decided to build this kit as one of the P-40C's flown by Welch or Taylor during the attack on Pearl. Should be fairly straight forward. This is all I have gotten done so far as I am waiting for Kitlinx to send me the CMK cockpit. <_< Sean at TopNotch Custom Masks is doing the side numbers, etc for me. Should look good! But right now I'm killing time waiting for the CMK set. :wacko:

Welch and Taylor.jpg

1-9-19 001.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to build one too, John...  Maybe we should work as a team...

But I want mine to look like this:

braLNU.jpg

 

Gaz

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John

Nice choice of kit and subject - so

historically important. Now I understand the question about Kitlinx

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, John got the right picture, for some reason there used to be a lot of confusion the aircraft numbers on the side. The large numbers on the side of the plane were there because the young pilots in training would always buzz the girls on the beach, of course, when the pilots were questioned about it, it wasn't them. So the commander had large block letters painted on each aircraft (flight line numbers), so the aircraft doing the buzzing could be identified. Some model companies interpreted the BU No or serial number as the large numbers, which was wrong.  Some models and decals of these planes had 284 (damaged & repaired), 300 (Minor damage & repaired), 308 (Movie "Flyboys"), 317 (confused with Taylor's), 325 (confused with Welch's), 335 (featured in mini documentary), and 337 (heavy damage) as the ID numbers, which were wrong.  

 

I am glad that there is more information out there now and that people are using the correct 155 and 160 for their aircraft.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Copycat. 

 

bo2dvvv.jpg

Looks good! Nice work. :) Did you have any trouble with those fiddly exhaust stacks? I think they are a secret plan to drive us modelers crazy!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I have to build one too, John...  Maybe we should work as a team...

But I want mine to look like this:

braLNU.jpg

 

Gaz

 

That will be a real looker. Break out the Alclad! :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1to1scale said:

Yes, John got the right picture, for some reason there used to be a lot of confusion the aircraft numbers on the side. The large numbers on the side of the plane were there because the young pilots in training would always buzz the girls on the beach, of course, when the pilots were questioned about it, it wasn't them. So the commander had large block letters painted on each aircraft (flight line numbers), so the aircraft doing the buzzing could be identified. Some model companies interpreted the BU No or serial number as the large numbers, which was wrong.  Some models and decals of these planes had 284 (damaged & repaired), 300 (Minor damage & repaired), 308 (Movie "Flyboys"), 317 (confused with Taylor's), 325 (confused with Welch's), 335 (featured in mini documentary), and 337 (heavy damage) as the ID numbers, which were wrong.  

 

I am glad that there is more information out there now and that people are using the correct 155 and 160 for their aircraft.

I agree. I hate to have a model finished only to find out the numbers or whatever are wrong. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hah! I am about to start my one also... I just received the Barracuda Wheels and Master barrel set for it yesterday. Thou I will be doing an AVG scheme on my Hawk.

Have you read Rick's fantastic build of his P-40? If you haven't - 

What are your plans for the depth issue for the cockpit?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 1:27 PM, Dave J said:

Hah! I am about to start my one also... I just received the Barracuda Wheels and Master barrel set for it yesterday. Thou I will be doing an AVG scheme on my Hawk.

Have you read Rick's fantastic build of his P-40? If you haven't - 

What are your plans for the depth issue for the cockpit?

 

That is a great build. He really did a good job of it. I don't plan to take it quite that far but we will see. I now have the CMK cockpit set and it really is nice and should go a long way to making this model look good. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the CMK cockpit also, unfortunately it is still to shallow.  I thinking of adding some plastic card at the bottom

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I have the CMK cockpit also, unfortunately it is still to shallow.  I thinking of adding some plastic card at the bottom

 

Hmmmm...It looks okay to me but I haven't done a mockup dry fit yet. It's not as shallow as the kit cockpit thank God. I'll check it more closely later today. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to seeing this come together John. i just know you'll build her beautiful!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool thread. Of course I'll be contrary and might eventually come to the party with my Craftworks kit.  Gotta love old,. old, old, OLD school resin.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NigelR32 said:

Looking forward to seeing this come together John. i just know you'll build her beautiful!!

Thanks Nigel. Fingers crossed no that! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I went to respond to Nigel and instead screwed up his post by vanishing it into thin air.   Yes, it seems like Nigel's post asking about accuracy is gone.     If you see a post missing, it's MY fault. :) 

You may now laugh uproariously and point mockingly at this silly man.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the KMC cockpit dry fitted to the fuselage halves. Maybe not exactly right but it is MUCH better than the kit parts so I'll proceed with using it. :)

 

1-14 001.jpg

1-14 002.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a moment, I thought you already had the cockpit done and the fuselage together. You know, building at the speed of John. 

I've got the same kit somewhere so it's great to see your take on it.  

For curiosity's sake, here's a comparison of a couple AM cockpit sets with the stock one. The PE one on the left is from Part, the middle is the CMK and the stock panel is on the right. 

IMG_20190114_193923-L.jpg

Which leave me the question of what did I end up using in my kit?:blink:

Carl

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, harv said:

One more and your fired !........harv:stirthepot:

 

Yeah I went to respond and I did something wrong. :-/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

For a moment, I thought you already had the cockpit done and the fuselage together. You know, building at the speed of John. 

I've got the same kit somewhere so it's great to see your take on it.  

For curiosity's sake, here's a comparison of a couple AM cockpit sets with the stock one. The PE one on the left is from Part, the middle is the CMK and the stock panel is on the right. 

IMG_20190114_193923-L.jpg

Which leave me the question of what did I end up using in my kit?:blink:

Carl

LOL It's evident by the photo how bad the kit parts are. I like the CMK set. It's crisp in detail and looks good so I'll use it. :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CMK cockpit set is finished. Much better than what the kit gives us. It's kind of strange to me that the gunsight on the B/C's was down between the rudder pedals and reflected up onto the armored glass behind the windscreen. Hard to see in the photos but it's there. Straight from my leftover parts stash.

 

1-17 001.jpg

1-17 002.jpg

1-17 3 001.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Progress. I have to say most of the parts fit pretty well. Mask stencils are on the way from Topnotch in England so painting will begin soon.

 

1-19 002.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×