The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

12 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

That looks uber realistic Rain, thanks for sharing.

Thanks Martin, I need more practice, most of that will be hidden but the parts that show are acceptable.

Ryan

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Ryan said:

Took the plunge and started some hand graining on my DH9....of course the close up photography is brutal the finished product closed up looks good.

33466073558_233f681a08_c.jpgDH9 by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

33466036658_61273e6608_c.jpgDH9 by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

47342054491_0f16e66bcd_c.jpgDH9 by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

Ryan

AH........................ just a random thought here................. maybe this technique should be explained in a tutorial thread???  I'd LOVE to know how to attempt to do something like this................... incredibly realistic.................. kinda gob smacked here...... that is fabulous....... the grain looks damn near perfect....... I am MORE than impressed.................................. geez, the longer I look at it, the better it looks ! 

• Like 6

Very kind Jeff, but there are plenty of errors!

The brush you use is important, the one I used was a 1/8" angled or chisel head brush.

By far toughest part was the first brush stoke, the rest is just filling in the blanks.

If you are trying this I suggest getting the WNW book volume 1 where David Parker explains how to do it.

The simplest way to explain the pattern is use straight dashed lines for the most part and look at plywood sample to get the hang of it.

Ryan

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Ryan, you talents, like so many here surpass my meager attempts by many miles, take a bow, the job sure looks great from my house....

You can't see it but i'm bowing. B)

Like many of us, we always find fault in our own work.

• Like 4

Hurricane is getting close to the finish now. Paints for the Tornado arrive tomorrow, Really enjoying getting back into modelling. My two big projects are the 1/32 Revell Tornado GR1 and the 1/24 Airfix Mossie, but my confidence is increasing. Will probably do another 1/48 before I take the plunge into the big stuff!

Cheers

Kev 

IMG_3856.JPG

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Announcement : The prize for this, or more like past few weeks......  goes .....to .....Carl. So Tamiya's mossie or rather two of them will travel to GTA . Why two, because he has two sons and it seems just  right. :)

PS: Carl could you please text me your address

Cheers

M.

Thanks so much Martin! The boys will love that. 

Carl

• Like 4

Well this is on my bench, a bit dull! it's a 1:32 Lancaster bomb aimers window but without the holes for Bob Lawrence [ he used to have his collection of racers at Telford ]

I'm going to have a go at casting this in clear this week, this has been 3D  CNC machined from a block of clear perspex from two sides using a 3mm ball end cutter and 2D machined with a flat end 1mm to get the detail around the edge then a final run over with a 1mm ball end cutter with a 0.05mm overlap. Then polished with T cut.

The two hole glazing is the kit original which I measured off.

Graham.

20190310_141505.jpg

20190310_135223.jpg

20190310_141431.jpg

20190310_141609.jpg

CAD view 1 Iconicair.jpg

CAD view 2 Iconicair.jpg

• Like 8

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Jackster said:

Hurricane is getting close to the finish now. Paints for the Tornado arrive tomorrow, Really enjoying getting back into modelling. My two big projects are the 1/32 Revell Tornado GR1 and the 1/24 Airfix Mossie, but my confidence is increasing. Will probably do another 1/48 before I take the plunge into the big stuff!

Cheers

Kev 

IMG_3856.JPG

People waving pictures of Hawker Hurricanes in front of me get's me all worked up.

I love that aircraft!

• Like 3

I don't share pictures of my bench very often.  It's quite small.  But, it is mounted on wheels and mobile.  It is constructed from square aluminum tubing, sheet aluminum, rivets, and plywood.  Storage is effected with plastic modular drawers bought at the local Bunnings.

T8qOOuj.jpg

The 1/35 scale t-34 is left there for scale.  This is the bench in it's clean state.  Usually I work withing a 12" half circle of cleared top surface.  I only have about 20 bottles of hobby paint.  Most colors I mix myself from tube acrylics bought at an art supply store.

With summer temps that rise to unbearable, the mobility allows me to move to one of the two air conditioned rooms in the house.  Once winter comes, I can move it back into my modelling room/closet. 

Cheers!

Gaz

• Like 7