The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

So...  now that I’m back from an IT conference in San Diego, i’m ready for a new project.

I’ve had this sitting on my shelf for a bit, and it feels like it’s time to dust it off and get it done.

I’m building her as “Wicked Wacker  Weegie”, flown by “Shorty” Rankin.

I was looking for a good story to tell, and I found one that is just...fun.   Seems that, on May 12, 1944, then Lt Rankin downed five ME-109, air to air, in a single mission.  And since May 12 is my birthday... bingo! 

5B92536C-4152-476D-8FC8-5F63452AD8CE.png

image.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, crazypoet said:

So...  now that I’m back from an IT conference in San Diego, i’m ready for a new project.

I’ve had this sitting on my shelf for a bit, and it feels like it’s time to dust it off and get it done.

I’m building her as “Wicked Wacker  Weegie”, flown by “Shorty” Rankin.

I was looking for a good story to tell, and I found one that is just...fun.   Seems that, on May 12, 1944, then Lt Rankin downed five ME-109, air to air, in a single mission.  And since May 12 is my birthday... bingo! 

5B92536C-4152-476D-8FC8-5F63452AD8CE.png

image.jpg

Do it man, it will be a great WIP.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, harv said:

Nice bunch of goodies. Really interested in seeing this "unbuildable" kit done. I need a Razorback to go with my Jug in the stash........harv:popcorn:

I’ve always had a soft spot for the Jug, particularly the early versions when it seemed something of a clumsy party crasher compared to its somewhat more svelte competitors in the ETO.

so when I found the kit a few years back, I promptly gobbled up ever bit of aftermarket stuff I could find.

i’ve heard less-than-glowing reviews of the kit engineering, but I like a good excuse for a double Scotch on occasion...

• Like 5

• Administrators

I was finishing detailing the Lanc’s wings, and for a minute I saw a giant squirrel and contemplated something I’ve been picking away at for about a year.....

Then I came to my senses. It’s not even a true LSM! But then again, what could be the only prop job to be more ostentatious than the big RCAF Lanc 10MR? 

That’s a Lanc wing in the background, btw.

I think we’re gonna need a bigger bench

ED776C5B-3F56-4A18-857A-CD4AD00FF187.jpeg

9B059FB3-7443-4359-8BA9-E791E9B4424A.jpeg

• Like 4

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, crazypoet said:

I’ve always had a soft spot for the Jug, particularly the early versions when it seemed something of a clumsy party crasher compared to its somewhat more svelte competitors in the ETO.

so when I found the kit a few years back, I promptly gobbled up ever bit of aftermarket stuff I could find.

i’ve heard less-than-glowing reviews of the kit engineering, but I like a good excuse for a double Scotch on occasion...

I actually like the big Jug.  She carries the best American engine of the war, possibly of all time, and despite her size, has a certain sleekness about her. Elliptical wing, all curves and swoops, hardly a straight line anywhere on her. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

I was finishing detailing the Lanc’s wings, and for a minute I saw a giant squirrel and contemplated something I’ve been picking away at for about a year.....

Then I came to my senses. It’s not even a true LSM! That’s a Lanc wing in the background.

I think we’re gonna need a bigger bench

ED776C5B-3F56-4A18-857A-CD4AD00FF187.jpeg

9B059FB3-7443-4359-8BA9-E791E9B4424A.jpeg

Good gawd!  I *know* how big that Lanc is....  is there any special dispensation for a “small scale” aircraft that is larger than my first apartment?  :omg:

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 minute ago, crazypoet said:

Good gawd!  I *know* how big that Lanc is....  is there any special dispensation for a “small scale” aircraft that is larger than my first apartment?  :omg:

I know, eh? It’s bloody humongous. And most of all, it has quite the local history, having been built right here about 20 miles from my office. It’s the only US strategic bomber to have never dropped a bomb in anger, so by that measure, was extremely successful in its stated goal of nuclear deterrence. And, throughout the 1950s until the development of a reliable SAM, was completely untouchable and unstoppable, cruising stately along at 50,000 ft+. No MiG could reach it, not even close, actually.

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Clunkmeister said:

I know, eh? It’s bloody humongous. And most of all, it has quite the local history, having been built right here about 20 miles from my office. It’s the only US strategic bomber to have never dropped a bomb in anger, so by that measure, was extremely successful in its stated goal of nuclear deterrence. And, throughout the 1950s until the development of a reliable SAM, was completely untouchable and unstoppable, cruising stately along at 50,000 ft+. No MiG could reach it, not even close, actually.

And officially, it’s 1/48 scale, so not a true LSM according to da roolz.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I actually like the big Jug.  She carries the best American engine of the war, possibly of all time, and despite her size, has a certain sleekness about her. Elliptical wing, all curves and swoops, hardly a straight line anywhere on her. 

I agree!  The P-47 got a bad early rap strictly because of size.  But she was indeed elegant and surprisingly light on her feet.  With a simple change in propeller, she could suddenly out*climb* as well as out dive pretty much anything in the ETO - until the Merlin-engined P-51 came along in 1944

• Like 3

19 hours ago, harv said:

my understanding is in a dive, they could break the sound barrier.....harv

I'd heard that myself in the past.  When I did a bit of digging, what I found was that they could get to about Mach 0.8, and then would go into a compressibility stall.

There's an outside chance that some aircraft could have gotten closer than .8, but they'd have been killed in the process as they'd not have been able to pull out of their dives... In compressibility, they'd experience a loss of lift at the forward edge of the wing. This would cause the nose to pitch down, the angle of dive would steepen, the speed would increase, the dead portion of the wing would move further back, the nose would pitch even farther, etc.  As this progressed, it became harder to pull out.

Given that the P-47 was particularly rugged, you could make a case that the airframe would survive this - but only until it became one with Mother Earth and transformed into a large-ish crater

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Please do a WIP on this, I am seriously coveting this baby........is it for the GB?

Wasn't planning on doing it for the GB but will definitely do a WIP once I start on it. It's a really nice nice kit. When they found out that the rad detail was a bit off, they made a new one that if you had the original release they would send you for I think it was €1?

• Like 2