The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

lol

yes cracked in 2 places a few months ago in a workplace incident

cutting boards would be ok in maple but the juniper is an 'aromatic cedar' and sealing it  would be a sin

cutting boards are usually just sealed with a special ($) oil for that purpose

besides i get more for the cribbys;

IMG_7058.JPG

IMG_7071.JPG

• Like 6

We have a heat wave in the moment, so I spend a lot of time surfing and swimming in the morning and watering our jungle in the afternoon and have not much time for modelling.
I started a bit on the Ducati Panigale. 
I drilled out a million holes in the braking discs, which was a real pain, because the silver grey plastic is super soft and needs dozens rounds of cleanup. I'm not sure about the result and may opt for PE braking disks.

IMG_9059.thumb.JPG.9295ef0faea05d84326f1d2a9cc37965.JPG

The transparent dome glass is very distorted, so I will buy an aftermarket pre-cut, vac-formed one, as it's very prominent. The bad quality of this relatively simple shaped part surprises me a bit, being a Tamiya kit.

IMG_9057.thumb.JPG.89df095941b2768c9dc823a9a73984fd.JPG

I received the extra metal fork kit, which seems to be very well made, with the anodized parts.

IMG_9058.thumb.JPG.9d6bf1a9b5f1037b3e71045bfbb0161c.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 9

Right now? Nothing. I've relocated and presently, I have no work area. I don't even

see how I can make one unless I use my dining area table. Looks like my modeling

Future is in question right now. Well, I'll have to work out something I still have a stash

of models to build!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 7/19/2021 at 3:39 PM, DocRob said:

The bad quality of this relatively simple shaped part surprises me a bit, being a Tamiya kit.

Guess it shows they're human after all. Both Hobby Design and Top Studio make detail sets for the  Panigale. I think someone does a PE chain too. Yup, individual PE chain links. 

• Like 5

lol

The hardest part about the chains is going into them with a self defeating mindset.

lol

So easy to do , get a robotic assy mindset going and they fly by.

The last one I did for my Hillclimber took an hour to do.

chain9.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, krow113 said:

lol

The hardest part about the chains is going into them with a self defeating mindset.

lol

So easy to do , get a robotic assy mindset going and they fly by.

The last one I did for my Hillclimber took an hour to do.

I never liked kardan driven bikes like BMW's, a bike has to have a chain or at least a belt. Model wise, I will stay with what Tamiya provided. It's not too bad and will keep me sane.

BTW: Nice chain on your bike, with even some more links, being a hillclimber, I guess.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Stuff I can see without glasses 

4 hours ago, DocRob said:

I see things sometimes, with or without glasses.... :icon_eek:

Cheers Rob

And me, I see things in doubles, with a few glasses ... :lol:

Hubert

PS: and Martin, stop clinging to your illusions of youth, old chap ! Deteriorating eyesight, and stiffness that moves from wanted to unwanted body parts are all signs of age ;) 

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, DocRob said:

I never liked kardan driven bikes like BMW's, a bike has to have a chain or at least a belt. Model wise, I will stay with what Tamiya provided. It's not too bad and will keep me sane.

BTW: Nice chain on your bike, with even some more links, being a hillclimber, I guess.

Cheers Rob

Thats not actually the hillclimber , thats a 1/9 WLA kit with Top Studios 1/12 chainset.

TS has the pins in plastic that you melt.

The Hillclimber has 2 MFH Brough chainsets for obvious reasons. This after I could not get my own chainset to work , having links done by Eduard , I just could not get the jig setup to work.

The MFH pins are soft metal and using a reversed drill in my sherline mill , I was able to run off the chainset quickly.

IMG_0953.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Well it's large anyway...

G4zhsTj.jpg

Decided to make windows for it, so now I'm officially a producer of aftermarket items...

Without windows

omiQ1AN.jpg

With Windows

yvjL7LN.jpg

What I decided to sell:

2kGBk7f.jpg

Won't get rich, but it may finance the OTHER aftermarket items I got for the big lady...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

In Australian parlance, the kitchen countertops...   are the kitchen "bench".

A couple weeks ago, my 12 + year-old pool-sucker started spinning in circles.  Closer investigation revealed that one of the four axles was broken.

P1014031.thumb.JPG.dc723f708492a0e0cdcdef3609846967.JPG

So I ordered a new part.  For 62$ it was cheaper than buying an 800$brand new pool-sucker.

P1014032.thumb.JPG.b8e92a022824d683427ff59337ff81d8.JPG

So, I diligently disassemble the contraption in a linear fashion and laid it out neatly.

P1014030.thumb.JPG.58c19d8c9c40e158464196df9c4c11c3.JPG

It's constructed by a clever use of snaps and stainless steel screws.  Marine quality of course.

The replacement part is actually the center/frame of the machine.  But since I bought my machine  (years ago) some of the parts have changed.  The four pins that hold the wheels in place...  now have a key slot that matches a key in the axle....  And, there are four new screws in the motor housing where the outer motor bearings are housed.  It was just a pressure joint before.

BTW...   when I say motor...  it's not really a motor.  The contraption is operated by the flow of water through a chamber with paddles.  As the paddles cause a shaft to rotate, the rotating shaft engage the two gear boxes which make it operate in a crazy series of maunevers designed to cover your whole pool.

Ir's called a Zodiac MX-8.  The gear boxes and sometimes the tracks have to be replaced every year for about $100.  My wife says:  "That thing has saved me so much time."  Because before we got it, I let her clean the pool.  But because it is now a mechanical thing...  it's become my responsibility.

But anyway...   here it is now...  I have to order more parts.

P1014034.thumb.JPG.bcab33a59e5470b17865354fdfff53a5.JPG

Please refer to the "House with pool four sale" add I posted earlier.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1