The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

Good start on the Owl, not one I have acquired yet.

The the oil paint graining really took a tole on me yesterday...hours of work with mediocre results, plus parts that needed stripped etc.

I thought, "you know this isn't fun" and decided to go this route. Working with (oil paint) wood is like pigments...if you really know how to do it it looks grand if not it just looks a mess. 

Ryan

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ryan said:

Good start on the Owl, not one I have acquired yet.

The the oil paint graining really took a tole on me yesterday...hours of work with mediocre results, plus parts that needed stripped etc.

I thought, "you know this isn't fun" and decided to go this route. Working with (oil paint) wood is like pigments...if you really know how to do it it looks grand if not it just looks a mess. 

Ryan

Yup, been there. It's a hobby. We're supposed to be having fun. Anything else is work ;)

• Like 3

Been producing some plastic confetti ....:)

i-KqWvDq5-338x450.jpg

Well a bit more than confetti, actually

i-zw5X9gD-338x450.jpg

All of this with the help of some technology ...

i-H2TGhgv-338x450.jpg

(crappy phone pics with a weird format, I know :( )

More on that later, in a specific and dedicated thread :secret:

Hubert

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Ahhh, my bench is back to normal. Complete chaos has returned! 

IMG_20190304_215542-L.jpg

There's a Kingfisher under there somewhere.

That cat has 4 paws put him to work sanding seams!

Ryan

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

That cat has 4 paws put him to work sanding seams!

Ryan

That's not a bad idea except she still had her claws. Which means there would be asany scratch marks as there would be sanded areas. Maybe I could get her to do the re-engraving of panel lines? :hsmack:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HubertB said:

Been producing some plastic confetti ....:)

i-KqWvDq5-338x450.jpg

Well a bit more than confetti, actually

i-zw5X9gD-338x450.jpg

All of this with the help of some technology ...

i-H2TGhgv-338x450.jpg

(crappy phone pics with a weird format, I know :( )

More on that later, in a specific and dedicated thread :secret:

Hubert

Nice work Hubert. Last time I went to Costco, I saw Silhouette Curio for approximately 200 CAD and that is very affordable price tag. Does it come with decent software as well , or do  you have to buy it additionally .

Cheers

M.

• Like 2

The Silhouette software that comes with the machine is decent and can already do a lot of things. If you want to be able to integrate vector drawings produced with other softwares, you will have to buy the « pro » upgrade for around $ 100.

The Curio can do the same things as the Cameo, PLUS it has two heads, and can do heavy cutting in thick material, and embossing (rivets anyone ?). BUT one big caveat, it is limited in size two roughly 6 inches (or 12 inches) by 8.5 inches, when the Cameo is 12x12, and virtually unlimited in length (but still 12 inches width) if you use the rolls support.

The software is the same for the Cameo and Curio, with some additional features specific to the Curio like dots embossing.

I actually have both, and got the Curio just for what is shown, i.e. cutting « safely » plastic card or thin metal sheet.

Back to my little project. Let’s do some guessing game ;)

The base kit is venerable (late 50’ first issue), but not 1/32 (more like 1/33 or 1/34). The fuselage is all wrong (too short and not high enough for even 1/33 or 1/34). The cowling is usable per se for a 1/32 rendition, so this will likely be the only thing I keep, and hence my redoing of the rest.

One more clue : the airfoil is USA 35b. The wing is said, in this family, to be « short ». And finally, the kit comes with something absolutely unique in the whole plastic kits production history.

Who will guess what my project is, knowing (one more hint) my personal tastes and inclinations ?

Hubert

• Like 3

13 hours ago, HubertB said:

The Silhouette software that comes with the machine is decent and can already do a lot of things. If you want to be able to integrate vector drawings produced with other softwares, you will have to buy the « pro » upgrade for around $ 100.

The Curio can do the same things as the Cameo, PLUS it has two heads, and can do heavy cutting in thick material, and embossing (rivets anyone ?). BUT one big caveat, it is limited in size two roughly 6 inches (or 12 inches) by 8.5 inches, when the Cameo is 12x12, and virtually unlimited in length (but still 12 inches width) if you use the rolls support.

The software is the same for the Cameo and Curio, with some additional features specific to the Curio like dots embossing.

I actually have both, and got the Curio just for what is shown, i.e. cutting « safely » plastic card or thin metal sheet.

Back to my little project. Let’s do some guessing game ;)

The base kit is venerable (late 50’ first issue), but not 1/32 (more like 1/33 or 1/34). The fuselage is all wrong (too short and not high enough for even 1/33 or 1/34). The cowling is usable per se for a 1/32 rendition, so this will likely be the only thing I keep, and hence my redoing of the rest.

One more clue : the airfoil is USA 35b. The wing is said, in this family, to be « short ». And finally, the kit comes with something absolutely unique in the whole plastic kits production history.

Who will guess what my project is, knowing (one more hint) my personal tastes and inclinations ?

Hubert

Hubert, can this make plunge cuts?

Do you think it could make a wood grain template?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Hubert, can this make plunge cuts?

Do you think it could make a wood grain template?

Hi Ryan, if by "plunge cut" you mean starting and ending the cut anywhere the answer is yes. If you mean scribing deep in a piece of card, the answer is still yes. Otherwise, can you please explain what you mean by "plunge cut" ?

As for the wood grain template, the finest I could go to on the Cameo was about 0.2 mm wide strips (or concentric circles in this case). So cutting a wood grain mask (in thin mask paper like kabuki) is in theory possible. You'd still have to design the mask in the first place though. 

Have you thought about using RB Productions wood veneer PE templates ?

Hubert

• Like 3

I meant can the cutter start in the middle of the medium....in other words it doesn't have to start cutting at the edge of the material and then travel to the part coordinates.

The PE masks are nice as long as the surface is flat. I was thinking a a mask could be applied over parts that have molded detail on them.

• Like 3

Then the answer is yes to the first one, and yes, to a degree, for the second one ...

These machines are not exactly cheap, yet very good value for money when you think about it (about the investment of 2 1/32 kits - not Revell ones of course - ). And they provide an invaluable flexibility to you modeling needs. Just have a look at what people like Eric Galliers can do with them on LSP.

For the kit-modeler, my recommendation would be the Cameo, and the Curio for scratchbuilders.

Hubert

Edited by HubertB
Added a comment on the machines
  • Like 2

Announcement : The prize for this, or more like past few weeks......  goes .....to .....Carl. So Tamiya's mossie or rather two of them will travel to GTA . Why two, because he has two sons and it seems just  right. :)

PS: Carl could you please text me your address

Cheers

M.

• Like 6