The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

How are you finding the kit? It's one I've been interested in getting for some reason. 

Carl - a little history on this kit. When it first came out, the fuselage forward of the cockpit was way off. So much so that the importer made Trumpeter retool the fuselage (you can imagine the rumblings on TOS!). Trumpeter complied, but neglected to make changes to the cockpit and firewall. As such, the fit in these areas is wonky. I had to clamp things together with zip ties, and even then there was a gap that needed to be filled.

When fitting the wings together, I had some interference; it took me a while to figure out where it was. If you lay the bottom wing on the top, you're guaranteed to get interference (see arrow in the picture below).

interference1.jpg

interference2.jpg

A little bit of gymnastics is required to get things to fit. The wing is designed so that the outer wings have to be sandwiched between the short stubby wing sections.

All in all, it's not a bad kit, and I got it pretty cheap!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Carl - a little history on this kit. When it first came out, the fuselage forward of the cockpit was way off. So much so that the importer made Trumpeter retool the fuselage (you can imagine the rumblings on TOS!). Trumpeter complied, but neglected to make changes to the cockpit and firewall. As such, the fit in these areas is wonky. I had to clamp things together with zip ties, and even then there was a gap that needed to be filled.

When fitting the wings together, I had some interference; it took me a while to figure out where it was. If you lay the bottom wing on the top, you're guaranteed to get interference (see arrow in the picture below).

interference1.jpg

interference2.jpg

A little bit of gymnastics is required to get things to fit. The wing is designed so that the outer wings have to be sandwiched between the short stubby wing sections.

All in all, it's not a bad kit, and I got it pretty cheap!

I have a couple of the Trumpy Wildcats......love the Wildcat but I was a bit worried about

building them. Thanks for pointing out these issues.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, GusMac said:

I notice the 'hairy helper' is in position again Carl. 😄

Oh yeah, the minute I sit down I get prodded to pick her up. Thankfully at the moment her claws are short so they're not pricking me when she does that. 

• Like 3

Bill

Thanks for pointing out some of the major issues on the Trumpeter Wildcat, both the 'mold fix' on Trumpeter's end and how you resolved some major fit issues. I've always shied away from the kit as every build I followed and read had major issues and a number became SOD Queens. Just might pick one up now and add it to the winter build list.

• Like 1

Off to  see on my longest followed bands at one of my favourite venues , given all my icons are dying off and Dave Brock is no 84 ....bless him 

Back in the day ....I'd have been completely faced about 5 hours before the gig .....tonight I won't even get a pint in as I'm driving . 

IMG-1659.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

8 in the morning on a slightly damp Sunday. Time to throw something on the BBQ.

Nice Carl, I used my Kamado barbecue recently for smoking fish, using wood powder for cold smoking. Today, I finished smoking Salmon, Peto (Wahoo) and Rabil (Yellowfin tuna) after two days in the smoke.
As we have a heat streak and even more atypical, a quite sea, there are lots of fish on the market. Yesterday, I bought three kilos of Yellowfin tuna fillet and another three kilos of Peto.
Today, I even managed to get some kilos of Red Tuna and have now some fish in the ice for the next weeks.

The Yellowfin

1925117194_WhatsAppBild2023-04-29um17_48_06.thumb.jpg.6a3a8813ef055497c816b0d97d2f1647.jpg

Cheers Rob

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Nice Carl, I used my Kamado barbecue recently for smoking fish, using wood powder for cold smoking. Today, I finished smoking Salmon, Peto (Wahoo) and Rabil (Yellowfin tuna) after two days in the smoke.
As we have a heat streak and even more atypical, a quite sea, there are lots of fish on the market. Yesterday, I bought three kilos of Yellowfin tuna fillet and another three kilos of Peto.
Today, I even managed to get some kilos of Red Tuna and have now some fish in the ice for the next weeks.

The Yellowfin

1925117194_WhatsAppBild2023-04-29um17_48_06.thumb.jpg.6a3a8813ef055497c816b0d97d2f1647.jpg

Cheers Rob

That looks delicious.

I need to try smoking fish on our Egg one day. 

I love fresh tuna, seared and sliced thin is just awesome. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I need to try smoking fish on our Egg one day

The egg is perfect for smoking. I tried both, first hot smoking at about 80-90 degrees Celsius with mixed results. Salmon was delicious, but other fish, like Yahoo or Tuna were too dry. I think their meet has not enough fat, to keep it smooth.
Cold smoking at about 20 degrees Celsius is where the Tuna family shines, with a taste like a really good ham with tuna aroma. I cover the washed and dried fish with a mix of brown sugar and crude sea salt, and some mortared juniper seeds and pink pepper for 24 hours in the fridge, remove the salt / sugar mix, dab on a tiny amount of palm honey and then make two smoking sessions of about 12 hours each, with the overnight time to rest (for the fish, not for me :D). The tuna is best, after letting it ripe for another two or three days in the fridge, if you are able to resist the urge to eat it. 

Cheers Rob

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1