The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

8 hours ago, GazzaS said:

A bit of a bench upgrade for me.  I got a new, rolling chair.   and a small wheeled cabinet which will perform a couple tasks...  for instance, the capacious bottom drawer will become my sprue organizer once I decide on how to fit separators innit.

NjWO0u.jpg

I had been using a kitchen chair and a short stool to hold the model box.

That's what I'm used to, a small work space, nice chair , and the roller box, looks perfect to hide a good bottle of Whiskey in the bottom drawer....  I like the work bench too, looks to be a neat tidy set up... I am always interested to see other guys' set ups, this will be my last set up for bench stuff, so I want to get it as correct and useful as possible, and I am grabbing ideas from you guys, thanks for showing me Gaz... love it

• Like 5

Jeff, here’s my setup, its located in a spare double bedroom. Everything you see is IKEA bar the booth.........hope it helps in designing your new workspace....the cupboards have books / storage, also 6 drawer cabinet under the desk and glass table on right which doubles as another movable surface.....

394C28E8-60AB-4D86-B319-15FFEA184160.thumb.jpeg.75aac9deca72b75dc9e71c27fa86af7f.jpeg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I've mostly got resin shavings and flash. Not as much dust.

Neither is good for your health Fellas. I do any resin sanding or carving with gloves on in an ice-cream container filled with water. And afterwards leave it out to evaporate in the sunlight, then bin the tub with the lid attached.

S

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Jeff, here’s my setup, its located in a spare double bedroom. Everything you see is IKEA bar the booth.........hope it helps in designing your new workspace....the cupboards have books / storage, also 6 drawer cabinet under the desk and glass table on right which doubles as another movable surface.....

394C28E8-60AB-4D86-B319-15FFEA184160.thumb.jpeg.75aac9deca72b75dc9e71c27fa86af7f.jpeg

Cathy would love me if my work space looked that neat and tidy, I really do like the storage cupboards, and again Cathy would be thrilled if I did Ikea :rolleyes: is it always that tidy , Phil, ??  I am such a slob ,I don't think I could keep it that nice for more than a few minutes, many thanks for sharing your space, I like it

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Jeff said:

That's what I'm used to, a small work space, nice chair , and the roller box, looks perfect to hide a good bottle of Whiskey in the bottom drawer....  I like the work bench too, looks to be a neat tidy set up... I am always interested to see other guys' set ups, this will be my last set up for bench stuff, so I want to get it as correct and useful as possible, and I am grabbing ideas from you guys, thanks for showing me Gaz... love it

You're welcome Jeff.

The bench itself is custom made with aluminum square tubing, rivets, and brackets with a plywood top.  You probably wonder why I went to the trouble when I can get a setup from IKEA. 

The main reason is height.  I wanted a bench high enough that I was working at a level that helped both my eyes and shoulders and back.  I didn't want to slouch or overwork my eyes.   Plus, I wanted it on casters so I could move it anywhere with ease.  when sitting, the bench is just about level with my diaphragm.

• Like 6

Yeah, that's excellent advice, I never thought of all that , and yeah, sometimes my back and should get sore..... and as for the old peepers.....good light seems to be a must these days..... thanks Gaz... all great things to work with...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeff said:

Yeah, that's excellent advice, I never thought of all that , and yeah, sometimes my back and should get sore..... and as for the old peepers.....good light seems to be a must these days..... thanks Gaz... all great things to work with...

I got the trick from jewellers. As they are working with short-focal magnifying glasses, they have to be really close to their work, which implies a sore back and shoulders with standard chairs and tables. To overcome this, they have very high benches, with their elbows literally at the level of their shoulders.

A high bench is one way to achieve the goal, the other is to use a telescopic chair set at its lowest, with a standard-height table. I lower my chair when I have to work close to the bench, especially with the Optivisor.

HTH

Hubert

• Like 2

On 10/18/2020 at 5:17 PM, Wumm said:

Neither is good for your health Fellas. I do any resin sanding or carving with gloves on in an ice-cream container filled with water. And afterwards leave it out to evaporate in the sunlight, then bin the tub with the lid attached.

S

Ernie’s blood is already 33% resin dust, too late now...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

Looks like another larger obstacle on the floor to negotiate around as well.... :)  way too cute....

Yup, ever since the Covid lockdown she follows me everywhere in the house. Zoe is 13 on Monday. Can't believe I've had her since she was a pup. 

• Like 3

On 10/18/2020 at 6:17 PM, Wumm said:

S

Any sanding I do in a bucket of water. The shavings and bigger bits I clean up tight away. I'm always worried one of the pets will take a liking to them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While some oil colours are drying on the Hansa Brandenburg, I continued the assembly of the Chinese Tankette in 1/16 scale. I like the visible and partly working running gear, which is only loosely assembled here.
The spring actually works, at least when the housing is added. The chain tensioner isn't functional, but looks like ;).

Cheers Rob

IMG_7668.thumb.JPG.e53339bf47bb5ddbdee0562c813b1185.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Well, after a 5-months hiatus during which surveying the final works of the new house, moving and settling into it took priority, I am back at the bench, to do some repairs to the finished kits which had suffered some (minor) damage in the move.

I had to redo a full fork for the ST-M tailwheel, in brass, as the original resin one did not survive in a good enough shape. I really suck at welding, but I prevailed nevertheless :) !

i-3WMVbJd-600x450.jpg i-8wNXFBc-600x450.jpg i-hpXWNJJ-600x450.jpg i-RTWx2BC-600x450.jpg i-LLZxGdV-600x450.jpg

Me happy ;)

Hubert

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Now the IBG PZL P-11c is back on the bench... 

I found out that it was another casualty of the move: given the flimsy contact point between the cockpit floor and the rudder pedals part, I had to glue it many times. When the move came, I forgot that the assembly was attached to a « third hand » crocodile clip that was packed with other stuff. Of course, the rudder pedals went MIA :( ...

But I have a cunning plan : this is where my 40-years old « Plany Modelarskie » drawings prove their usefulness. They feature detailed 1/5 drawings of the cockpit components, including the rudder pedals. Just a matter of scratchbuilding a new part, which, btw, will be stronger and less flimsy than the IBG rendition, judging from the drawing’s dimensions.

TBC in the WiP section ;)

Hubert

• Like 7