The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

Thank you Carl.

Well, after the renderings, how about some real stuff ? I have chosen a clear green resin, that produces more defined and more precise details, but it's a bear to photograph, so the pics are less than optimal, but hopefully you will be able to see something. (Btw, I printed two cockpits and the cowling on the same run, as I had the room)

First pics: the complete cockpit, fresh out of the printer, still with printing supports in. I had to print it "flat" vs the support plate, otherwise the supports were just intextricable from the part itself.  So here you can see the lines of the different layers, and the anti-aliasing that smoothes out the square nature of the pixels used to produce a slice image is less efficient.

i-XrFF9JQ-600x450.jpg

i-Zvp8xjz-600x450.jpg

And after a first-level cleaning of the supports and separation from the printing base (I still need to clean/file away the remnants of the supports :

i-g42J9Gj-600x450.jpg i-v37sXpW-338x450.jpg i-NfLh3Fc-600x450.jpg

And an additional benefit of doing the design from A to Z : the fit can be precise, with just the eventual variations linked to different retraction percentages of the different resins. Which means the cockpit structure fits snugly in the printed fuselage B) :

i-k8qspq5-338x450.jpg

i-6BvMcVq-338x450.jpg

i-LHTTMcz-338x450.jpg

Whilst printing these, I am also learning the art of getting the best out of the printer, together with its idiosyncrasies (which means I have had a - significant - number of failures. Let's say the wasted resin is a worthwile investment :rolleyes:)

I have thus found out that the best way to get a result with the cowling is to print it "vertical", and assume I will have to smooth the visible layering with sanded primer....

i-GPSmFLX-338x450.jpg

Can I say I feel pretty smug about the results of today's printing ? You bet I do :) !

Now, let's hope I do not botch the paintwork when its time comes :blink: ... :wallbash:...

Hubert

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The cockpit looks fantastic Hubert. Painting will be a bit of a challenge as you mentioned but with your skills, shouldn't be insurmountable.

Looking at the fuselage you printed, is the upper fuselage fairing offset or did you offset the fuselage halves?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The cockpit looks fantastic Hubert. Painting will be a bit of a challenge as you mentioned but with your skills, shouldn't be insurmountable.

Looking at the fuselage you printed, is the upper fuselage fairing offset or did you offset the fuselage halves?

None of these. I believe, if I understand your question right, this is just a parallax issue with the pic.

Here are two pics with the two halves taped together and the cockpit inside.

i-B6sWWkT-338x450.jpg i-8P8VGfC-338x450.jpg

Hubert

• Like 9

On 2/16/2021 at 4:31 AM, HubertB said:

Thank you Carl.

Well, after the renderings, how about some real stuff ? I have chosen a clear green resin, that produces more defined and more precise details, but it's a bear to photograph, so the pics are less than optimal, but hopefully you will be able to see something. (Btw, I printed two cockpits and the cowling on the same run, as I had the room)

First pics: the complete cockpit, fresh out of the printer, still with printing supports in. I had to print it "flat" vs the support plate, otherwise the supports were just intextricable from the part itself.  So here you can see the lines of the different layers, and the anti-aliasing that smoothes out the square nature of the pixels used to produce a slice image is less efficient.

i-XrFF9JQ-600x450.jpg

i-Zvp8xjz-600x450.jpg

And after a first-level cleaning of the supports and separation from the printing base (I still need to clean/file away the remnants of the supports :

i-g42J9Gj-600x450.jpg i-v37sXpW-338x450.jpg i-NfLh3Fc-600x450.jpg

And an additional benefit of doing the design from A to Z : the fit can be precise, with just the eventual variations linked to different retraction percentages of the different resins. Which means the cockpit structure fits snugly in the printed fuselage B) :

i-k8qspq5-338x450.jpg

i-6BvMcVq-338x450.jpg

i-LHTTMcz-338x450.jpg

Whilst printing these, I am also learning the art of getting the best out of the printer, together with its idiosyncrasies (which means I have had a - significant - number of failures. Let's say the wasted resin is a worthwile investment :rolleyes:)

I have thus found out that the best way to get a result with the cowling is to print it "vertical", and assume I will have to smooth the visible layering with sanded primer....

i-GPSmFLX-338x450.jpg

Can I say I feel pretty smug about the results of today's printing ? You bet I do :) !

Now, let's hope I do not botch the paintwork when its time comes :blink: ... :wallbash:...

Hubert

That is brilliant work, Hubert!  Let me know when you make a Roland D.II...  I'll be in for a brace of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is very interesting to follow. Your example shows, what is possible with 3D printing, if you are willing to put in the effort. I will not completely rule out to get into 3D printing in the future too, but I doubt it. 
When I was young and computer were the latest wow and heating a room in wintertime, while getting some 640X480 pixel pictures rendered, I made 3D animations with Lightwave for the pure fun. Like modelling, it was demanding, you needed tons of surfaces for rendering, dozens of plugins for cloth or hair rendering,...
Here you have the Synthesis of two time consuming hobbies in designing and printing and modelling, what else can be the result, than pure fun.

Thank you for  letting us old school blokes peek into the new possibilities which lay in 3D printing.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Whilst this is further helping the procrastination on the PZL P11c, I have followed on my Solidworks impulsion, and resumed work on my 1/32 P&W R-985 design. I had stalled on the design of the cylinder's head, as I was struggling to understand how it was done really.

Resuming this has prompted a new internet searches and I stumbled on a set of perfect photographs of just the cylinder yesterday evening. Now I know how it looks and have to figure out how to render it realistically, and ina printable form, in 1/32 !

With a full R-985, this opens up the possibilities I have, and will help me finish some projects, like the Gee Bee R-2 (Williams' reproduction of the R-985 of the R-2 was suboptimal), like boosting my Kingfisher, like resuming a scratchbuilt Sikorsky S-39, like designing a few other Golden age iconic aircrafts, like dreaming about a full 1/32 Beech 18, like improving or redoing from scratch a Staggerwing, like ... :wub:

Ok, you get the drift of how I can carried away :D

Hubert

(PS: I still do not understand why the R-985 was not done by any AM manufacturer in 1/32 :hsmack:)

(PS2 : 3D printing is not a magical, easy stuff, at least if you are dumb like I am. Here is just a small glimpse of this week's rejects or print failures at the bottom of my waste bsket :raincloud: )

i-SWF9tQ5-338x450.jpg

• Like 5

Hubert, just yesterday on our local newspaper informed that a school in Udine is  renewing one of its training a/c and their C45 will leave the aircraft maintenance teaching lab, where it contributed to create maintenace crews for decades, to be fully restored and put again into the air. Here is a link to a page showing their collection of "didactical tools", unfortunately in Italian language,  and their facebook page. If you need info about the Beech, I think you can find a good source in that school.

http://www2.malignani.ud.it/WebEnis/aer/sezione/parcoAerei.htm

https://m.facebook.com/ISIS-Arturo-Malignani-111902640254643/

Andrea

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2021 at 12:05 AM, HubertB said:

Thanks for the links, Andrea. 
Btw, I am of the school that refuses to use Facebook ;)

Hubert

8 hours ago, Andy the Sheep said:

Me too, Hubert and all other social media too.:2guns:

Model forums are the maximum effort I can indulge, and only in limited doses.:)

7 hours ago, Jeff said:

Same here...

You are all missing out.  For, in between of the useless twaddle and Facebook irritations, people in your groups will submit thousands of photos you have never seen before, many of which are useful modelling references.  Since joining FB over 2 years ago, I've collected thousands of images that will aid me in modelling.

Avoiding FB is like walking past a library in the 1970's and saying that there are too many other books in there which will prevent you from finding what you want.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

You are all missing out.  For, in between of the useless twaddle and Facebook irritations, people in your groups will submit thousands of photos you have never seen before, many of which are useful modelling references.  Since joining FB over 2 years ago, I've collected thousands of images that will aid me in modelling.

Avoiding FB is like walking past a library in the 1970's and saying that there are too many other books in there which will prevent you from finding what you want.

I completely agree Gaz...

Facebook is a fantastic tool for gathering information. Where else could you see the exact layout and contents of the starboard storage container on a Sd.Kfz.250 Neu?

IMG_20210220_092629.thumb.jpg.3ad0e72d278b70e15a41ae448f159a2c.jpg

It's just a pity that Facebook is behaving like tools here in Australia at the moment.

S

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Wumm said:

I completely agree Gaz...

Facebook is a fantastic tool for gathering information. Where else could you see the exact layout and contents of the starboard storage container on a Sd.Kfz.250 Neu?

IMG_20210220_092629.thumb.jpg.3ad0e72d278b70e15a41ae448f159a2c.jpg

It's just a pity that Facebook is behaving like tools here in Australia at the moment.

S

Hey mate, how do I find this on FB?  I have this kit by Dragon and any details will of course be most useful. 

• Like 2

You guys are doing some very nice projects.  Every time I come here someone is doing something stupendous. 

I can only do a burst of like 10 links and then its stretch time.  I have added a degree of magnification to my visor...I really need to look in to setting up a more efficient system.   This tank is a few running experiments with weathering. 

IMG_4761.thumb.JPG.10e3569d8913c38b5298e7053def7eda.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

Hey mate, how do I find this on FB?  I have this kit by Dragon and any details will of course be most useful. 

Gaz, the site can be found here...

https://m.facebook.com/TheSdkfz2509Project/

Off topic, but...

For the uninitiated, the Australian Government intends to introduce legislation to enforce Social Media companies to start paying for third party news content they link to on their sites... Much like an advertiser paying a Musician if they want to use their song as a Jingle in an advertisement. Google initially threatened to limit their search functions here; then once they realised that half the mobile phones in the country run Android, chose to negotiate directly with news organisations before the legislation goes through.

However, Facebook this last Thursday, disabled all news content to Australia on their site... Local, international, anything with "news" or "information" in the title or 'About' blurbs... Completely shut those sites down. This also managed to disable sites run by Charities, Utilities, Government and Local Councils, Emergency Services, random Businesses, Community Groups and private sites. It's all-encompassing, yet completely random in some cases. For instance:

Want to search Facebook for a book about Luftwaffe subjects?

IMG_20210220_104706.jpg.af31c3890577c430544f4614a5bedb46.jpg

Chandos site = good.

Jochen Prien = bad.

I've got some news for Mr. Zuckerberg that he won't have to pay for. You're going the right way for a smacked bottom.

S

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Wumm said:

Gaz, the site can be found here...

https://m.facebook.com/TheSdkfz2509Project/

Off topic, but...

For the uninitiated, the Australian Government intends to introduce legislation to enforce Social Media companies to start paying for third party news content they link to on their sites... Much like an advertiser paying a Musician if they want to use their song as a Jingle in an advertisement. Google initially threatened to limit their search functions here; then once they realised that half the mobile phones in the country run Android, chose to negotiate directly with news organisations before the legislation goes through.

However, Facebook this last Thursday, disabled all news content to Australia on their site... Local, international, anything with "news" or "information" in the title or 'About' blurbs... Completely shut those sites down. This also managed to disable sites run by Charities, Utilities, Government and Local Councils, Emergency Services, random Businesses, Community Groups and private sites. It's all-encompassing, yet completely random in some cases. For instance:

Want to search Facebook for a book about Luftwaffe subjects?

IMG_20210220_104706.jpg.af31c3890577c430544f4614a5bedb46.jpg

Chandos site = good.

Jochen Prien = bad.

I've got some news for Mr. Zuckerberg that he won't have to pay for. You're going the right way for a smacked bottom.

S

Now that is confusing.  Some sites that show lots of Luftwaffe planes are getting hammered for Swastikas.  I've been waiting for the Facebook police to kick me for some of my model images.

• Like 2

I think that's merely an indication of resources.

Despite their billions of dollars in revenue each year, it seem that there's not very many employees actually monitoring the content on Facebook... ie; shutting down the charity site for Hannah Clarke who was murdered along with her Children a year ago yesterday, yet allowing the Christchurch massacre to be live-streamed by the perpetrator a couple of years ago. Kind of a situation like the local Council; they can't fill that pot-hole in your street unless someone tells them it's there. But once they're informed, you can bet that they'll target you.

S

• Sad 3

I take your word that there are amazing resources available there, from what I have seen many times through others. And that sometimes it helps people build a better world, whichever way this is ...

On the other hand, there are plenty of examples of the obnoxious impact of FB, enough that I am using my only power, which is to decide not to feed the monster. The examples range from the Australian lock-down of late, to the self-feeding algorithms that help build bubbles of disinformation and conspiracy theories in which people loose their final remnants of common sense and become zombies living in an alternative world detached from reality, to the bullies of all kinds flourishing in all groups, to your private life being exposed to anyone, to the « let-go » for racism, sexism, hate and violence, to ...

FB posted $ 11 bn of profits in the last quarter of 2020. We are facing a situation of monopolistic behaviour to serve individual and corporate greed. I can do two things to this: not participate if I can (consumer power is still a very potent weapon) and encourage governments to reign in on the monopoly ...

Enough of the rant ... let’s go modelling !

Hubert

• Like 5