The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

I needed a break from WNW for a little while, so I pulled this Bf109 K4 off the SOD. A quick shake and bake build - until I opened the box and found the Aires cockpit...

DSCN2560-1.jpg

The IP is a clear cast resin piece. I mixed a drop of food coloring with Micro Kristal Klear to mask the dial faces.

DSCN2561-1.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Okay, this is the next project. Was planning to finish the CHET but I just couldn't resist starting this one. May try to do both together.

DSC_0044.thumb.JPG.a863bf97a9209b2e2ba8ba9293ba40f3.JPG

So, it's the Revell boxing of the Mirage with John Wiedeman from Scaleworx's excellent Cheetah E conversion. Never done a big resin conversion like this so just hope I can do it justice.

DSC_0063.thumb.JPG.08203ac528f45a739caee4f485f73069.JPG

Having had my finger's burned with the Typhoon starting point was to roughly tape together the main airframe to check it's going to fit in the display cabinet after it's finished. Yes! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GusMac said:

Okay, this is the next project. Was planning to finish the CHET but I just couldn't resist starting this one. May try to do both together.

DSC_0044.thumb.JPG.a863bf97a9209b2e2ba8ba9293ba40f3.JPG

So, it's the Revell boxing of the Mirage with John Wiedeman from Scaleworx's excellent Cheetah E conversion. Never done a big resin conversion like this so just hope I can do it justice.

DSC_0063.thumb.JPG.08203ac528f45a739caee4f485f73069.JPG

Having had my finger's burned with the Typhoon starting point was to roughly tape together the main airframe to check it's going to fit in the display cabinet after it's finished. Yes! 

Nice! I'm waiting for the 2 seater D version to come out. The 2 seater somehow looks meaner. 

Carl

• Like 3

I think ship models may be too much for those with attention deficit like myself.  I've spent probably ten or more hours adding the rolled up torpedo nets, Anchors, Chains, and anchor retention chains. 

I didn't have any finer chain than the anchor chain, so I used rigging thread to play the part of retention chains.  If I did have any finer chain...  I wouldn't have been able to use it.  Working with links that are from 3mm to 4mm long is about the limit imposed by my brain and dexterity.

P1013412.JPG

P1013413.JPG

P1013409.JPG

P1013410.JPG

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

I think ship models may be too much for those with attention deficit like myself.  I've spent probably ten or more hours adding the rolled up torpedo nets, Anchors, Chains, and anchor retention chains.

I feel your pain with ultra fine repetitive works, like these chains. Without better knowing, I doubt, that an anchor chain would lay loosely on a deck like the back one. Imagine a ship rolling in heavy sea and a loose chain is snaking on the deck looking for prey foot.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

I didn't have any finer chain than the anchor chain, so I used rigging thread to play the part of retention chains.  If I did have any finer chain...  I wouldn't have been able to use it.  Working with links that are from 3mm to 4mm long is about the limit imposed by my brain and dexterity.

P1013412.JPG

P1013413.JPG

P1013409.JPG

P1013410.JPG

48 minutes ago, DocRob said:

I feel your pain with ultra fine repetitive works, like these chains. Without better knowing, I doubt, that an anchor chain would lay loosely on a deck like the back one. Imagine a ship rolling in heavy sea and a loose chain is snaking on the deck looking for prey foot.

Cheers Rob

I agree with Rob. At the other, invisible, end of this chain is an anchor weighing a few tons. That’s enough to tension any chain.

As for ship modelling, I believe that once you are used to 1/32 in aircrafts, 1/350 in ship modelling is just too small. For me the « proper » scale for large ships is 1/200, and between 1/48 and 1/100 for period sailing ships.

As for 1/700 ships :2guns:

Hubert

• Like 4

And another radial engine design on the virtual bench !

Since Marcin Matejko, our VERY talented Polish member and modeller, who has produced a number of outstanding scratchbuilt kits of different PZLs, has intervened in my build thread for the IBG P11c to show me that in the conversion I was attempting to reproduce (the 1934 Paris Air Show bird), I had to take into account that the engine in Paris was a Gnome & Rhone Mistral 9 Kdrs, not the Mercury one, I have been on the lookout for reference data and drawings, whilst trying to avoid paying € 350 for the technical manual (you can find it at this starting price on eBay and Abebooks).

I found enough to be able to start a design and extrapolate the dimensions I could not read on some drawings I found.

I now "just" have to design the K cylinder. Drawing on my experience with the R-985 design, I tried to do as much in one design as I could. What you are seeing here is already a 1 Gb .stl file. The cylinders will have to be separate in the 3D printing process.

i-32k7GFm-600x521.png i-B2vhnp8-600x448.png

And with the outline of the cylinders ...

i-2ZBn2FS-600x442.png

Now onto designing the cylinder. With the reference I have, it should not take 5 1/2 years like with the R-985 :)

Hubert

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Trumpeter’s abomination of Warhawk arrived few weeks back. Trust line too low, spinner too long and wide to compensate the short fuselage and engine cowling, notwithstanding bulging glass and fuselage. 
slap to the face 

A8FBBF0D-15A0-4DE5-8A34-3384895F04B5.jpeg

E8FA36A5-F78E-49A1-A13A-BB6820B10831.jpeg

• Like 7

Finished designing the cylinder for the G&R 9 Kdrs engine, for what should have been an incorporation in my IBG PZL P11c conversion to the 1934 Paris Air Show prototype...

In the meantime, Marcin has come up with new information that confirm that the P11/IV prototype in Paris in 1934 had the Bristol Mercury engine...

So this engine design is now an orphan, for which I need to find an airframe ;) ( I am thinking that the Morane Saulnier 225 had this engine, with a slightly different reduction gear crankcase. I always liked the looks of the 225, and  there were civilian machines, or an acrobatic team scheme :rolleyes:)

This is what the engine looks like, without the valve pushrod tubes :

i-vjB8VLK-600x491.png

i-GnWVcVZ-600x516.png

i-Q2LKfqk-600x512.png

I hope you like it.

Hubert

• Like 7