The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Brush, paint bottle organizer?

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

I see y’alls benches with your brushes, tools, and paint jars all organized and all.

So where do you get those, or do you build them?

I use Gunze and Tamiya paint for the most part, so something that fits their jars would be cool...

Ideas?

• Like 3

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

https://www.hobbyzone.biz/

Warning, the 36mm racks dont fit the Large 30ml glass bottles like AK, MRP, and Alclad. They do make an open rack for those.

https://www.hobbyzone.biz/hz/hz_om05u.shtml

Will the 36mm racks fit normal Gunze Mr. Color and Tamiya acrylic glass jars?

The smaller 26mm are for Vallejo and MRP?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Will the 36mm racks fit normal Gunze Mr. Color and Tamiya acrylic glass jars?

The smaller 26mm are for Vallejo and MRP?

The 36mm racks fit the smaller Tamiya paints; you'll need the 41mm rack for the larger bottles

• Like 3

• Administrators

I’ve been pouring over the HobbyZone USA site and this gonna cost a pretty penny.  But, once and done I suppose, so, first order of business, order the obvious and get started.

I’ve decided to redo my model bench. As in a whole new bench, with the HobbyZone system rigged up to avoid the junky bench I’ve had for the best part of 10 years.

I work best with a bit of controlled chaos on my bench, I want a bottle or brush right at my fingertips when working, and  not have to go digging in a drawer for every tool or color bottle. Just not the post-Chernobyl look I’ve attained.

Time to join the rest of you.  Heck, even Carl’s bench looks spotless compared to mine.

• Like 2

Ernie,

The owner of Cybermodeler, Micheal Benokolin owns a Hobbzone USA store.

youcan find it on EBay, I got most of my modules from him and the rest from Lots of Models....and right they are expensive.

I would visit the HZ website and layout your desk with measurements first and then develop your module list to purchase.

Ill extend this warning too, they are all sent flat pack and you need to glue every together, but they are a great product.

Ryan

• Like 5

You certainly can spend a small fortune on these, but for me they were well worth it.  Give it some thought before you order!

• Personally I prefer the stacked drawer modules over the side-by-side drawers - they can fit larger things, and they come with dividers to separate smaller items.
  • Drawer units in corners didn't make much sense to me; there's a lot of wasted space inherent in them.
  • Consider a stand alone tools and brushes holder. Save the top shelf for paints!
  • I would highly recommend some units without drawers. You know you're going to have some larger things you'll want to get out of the way at times.

If you're like me, you will have more paint bottles than available spots to put them. Years ago, I built this unit from pegboard and aluminum angle. It's mainly for overflow.

DSCN2084-1.jpg

I built these "HobbyZone-like" units for my Model Master paints, too. The containers hold a number of bottles - I've got them separated into greens, grays, RLM, IJN/IJA, RAF metallics, and "primary colors" - the ones I use most often.

DSCN2085-1.jpg

• Like 3

Nice set up Bill, for those are considering these here are a few close ups to show clearance, capacity, etc.

32995845208_c6734aa81c_b.jpgHZ Set Up by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

39906303293_21300de979_b.jpgHZ Set Up by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

32995845168_08f399dc28_b.jpgHZ Set Up by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

39906303143_cb9bddcaff_b.jpgHZ Set Up by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

32995845078_0a790b906a_b.jpgHZ Set Up by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

39906302883_f3b7d40cc9_b.jpgHZ Set Up by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

32995844988_bd0e0b40b9_b.jpgHZ Set Up by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

Ryan

• Like 5

AWESOME set up Ryan............................I am also looking into this stuff, BUT I have to add 30% for the money exchange, and if you guys think it's expensive in the USA, can you imagine what it is to buy it, and have it SHIPPED to Canada.......I'd probably have to sell the house for the shipping costs........  I do love your set up.......

• Like 1

I invested about half of a HPH DC-3, or a full HK Lancaster kit, in my Hobby Zone setup. Worth every penny compared to growing the stash further. :rolleyes:

You need to get both paintrack sizes, plus the bottle racks. I also found out that the units with the large flat drawers are very useful, especially if you leave out the divisions made for them, probably more so than the ones with the smaller drawers ... Be aware that the tool holders (with holes) have two sizes of holes, one of which is ok for fine brushes and needle files, but generally too small for an X-Acto type round handle, so most of the holes end up unused ...

If, like me, you are a tool freak and get plenty of small items or tools  « which might prove useful one day » (:D), then the HZ modules are definitely a big boost to get really organised. Plus you will recover a part of the cost by SEEING and finding what you have, and not buying a duplicate, or triplicate (ask me how I know)

In short, highly recommended, my friend.

Hubert

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

scratch that apparently they are out of bizzzz.

Hornet closed last month. Wheels and Wings is taking on some of their inventory and shelving I believe. 

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

AWESOME set up Ryan............................I am also looking into this stuff, BUT I have to add 30% for the money exchange, and if you guys think it's expensive in the USA, can you imagine what it is to buy it, and have it SHIPPED to Canada.......I'd probably have to sell the house for the shipping costs........  I do love your set up.......

Email Michael there Jeff. He'll give you an estimate on the shipping costs so at least you have an idea how much you'd have to sell the house for. I've done that for the couple bits I've bought. 

Carl

• Like 1

I bought one of the smaller ones a laser cut wood 'holder'. I use it when I do a smaller set up . That is to say I'll put the brush , paint and special fluids I used for a certain treatment or procedure on it . The supplies will stay on the small holder until the operation is finished , then the supplies go back into gen pop.

• Like 1