The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RR Spey powered RAF Phantom conversion

21 hours ago, chek said:

NoNOSZceX.jpg

Note though Cees, it's not only a widening of the intakes, but they also rise to a point about level with the rear canopy fairing.

Despite Frank's valiant effort, this omission was enough to spoil the look of his method for me. The whole intake of the Spey Phantom looks like it's been cranked downwards, and without the vertical rise, you can't get enough of that downward crank.

Hi Chek,

I do not understand "rise to a point about level with the rear canopy fairing" can you please elaborate?

Thanks,

Barry

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Barry said:

Hi Chek,

I do not understand "rise to a point about level with the rear canopy fairing" can you please elaborate?

Thanks,

Barry

This drawing from Tommy Thomason probably shows it best. The whole Spey turbofan nacelle from intake to jetpipe was through-putting much more volume that a J79 turbojet. The intake topside has an upward slope to approx station F13 on the drawing below

Regular F-4J in black, Spey mods added in red,46218435864_99c08de71d_h.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Barry said:

Chek,

I thought that might be what you were pointing out. The F.S. drawing I posted is Tommy's as well. With the NO you posted with my picture my intake rise is pretty close is it not?

Barry

Barry, yes the model in the lower frame showing the two fuselages looks pretty good to me and the intake rise looks about right. It will be easier to tell when it's been primered that the lines flow smoothly. My original point was directed to Cees, whose model was following Frank Mitchell's method which dealt well with the increased width, but not the depth as your model has done.

I'm still holding out for the HKM version because I really wouldn't look forward to doing the home-baked conversion two or three times.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps for the info. I think a lot of people are not aware of the many changes regarding the Spey-powered Phantoms.

By the way, can anyone point me into the direction of some usable scale drawings?

Cees

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Very impressive changes!  I never knew the Brits had an F4 with a different engine. 

Both Phantoms built for the British the F-4K and the F-4M had Spey engines it was a part of the contractual agreement to purchase a non British built aircraft. There were other sub assemblies that were built in Britain as well.

Barry 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wingco57 said:

Thanks chaps for the info. I think a lot of people are not aware of the many changes regarding the Spey-powered Phantoms.

By the way, can anyone point me into the direction of some usable scale drawings?

Cees

Cees,

As far as I know no one has ever come up with scale drawing that were considered completely accurate. I have a number of drawing on the K/M but all leave something to be desired.

Barry

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barry said:

Both Phantoms built for the British the F-4K and the F-4M had Spey engines it was a part of the contractual agreement to purchase a non British built aircraft. There were other sub assemblies that were built in Britain as well.

Barry 

Also as a historical aside, Macair was considering the switch from turbojets to turbofans and the Spey (or a US built version) was to have been the powerplant for the swing-wing Phantom FVS project, had it proceeded. That was in the days when only the benefits in fuel efficiency from turbofans were seriously considered and the problems of integration (increased drag) hadn't yet been discovered.

1479936255722379152.jpg

• Like 1

Some more work done.

The flaps were sawed in to enable the underside to be bent downwards later.

Further work on the intake trunks. The top fillerpieces have been glued in. The flat pieces have a purpose and prevent the filler pieces from sitting too low. You see them cut away later.  My take on the inner intake pieces. I assembled the cut off pieces and inserted a piece of plasticard in the join forcing it outwards. Later the missing pieces will be added from card and the insides smoothed with miliput. At least that is the plan. If it fails I will use the easy way....intake covers.

Cheers 

Cees

20190202_194809.jpg

20190202_195834.jpg

20190202_200419.jpg

20190202_203349.jpg

• Like 8

Cees

Yikes! I'm in and will be following with intense interest. I'm strapped in and ready for the journey.

I'm simply in awe of hoe you go about determining not only what the modifications are but how to engineering the work. Hopefully, some of your mechanical genius will magically rub off on those of us who are following.

Like Dennis, I never realized the extent of the difference and modifications need for the conversion.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 4