The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RR Spey powered RAF Phantom conversion

By your command.......

The plastic inner rings of the Revell tape rolls are 3 cm in diameter and perfect for the exhaust cans although they need to 1.5 cm long but that is no problem. We come to that later. First to see how to make the deeper rear section. Having Frank's article doesn't mean it's easy.

Cees

20190217_135628.jpg

20190217_140627.jpg

20190217_140422.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks chaps. But it is no masterclass, just plodding along until something familiar emerges.

Such as the basic shape of the fintop. Still needs details such as engraving of access panels and fairing it in with mr surfacer. The shorter fueldumping pipes to follow.

Cees

20190218_200225.jpg

• Like 8

Ok. A small update. On the British Phantoms the fuel dump valves were shortened to fit the smaller aurcrafr carriers. The RAF ones had them too. Just cutting off the J-type valve, filing shorter and put the valves at a short dihedral stance. Quick and easy.

Cees

20190219_195153.jpg

• Like 8

Good progress, Cees.

One suggestion involving some extra work for you: saw along the inner edges of the Sparrow bays too.

If you don't, I've seen one conversion result in bent missile bays which was not a good look. It'll probably help with the spreading as well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update. I thought I messed it up as I had to correct the previous sawcuts. But when I widend the gap it made sense. The triangular wedges have been glued in and the deeper FGR2 rear fuselage profile begins to emerge. The insides will be reinforced with Miliput as the seams are fragile.

Looks like I got it. I'm happy.

Cees

20190311_192240.jpg

20190311_194418.jpg

20190311_194424.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/2/2019 at 1:14 PM, Martinnfb said:

Meticulous work, it seems so easy on the picture , I can only imagine how challenging is to line up all together. Get show Cees.

Cheers

Martin

ae237cb0dea28869bfad7fe4d53ff70f.jpg

Man that thing looks angry!